Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Young people moving to Oz

Young people moving to Oz

Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

fripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nice
Default Young people moving to Oz

I'm new to the Australia forum so hi everyone

I'm 18 years old and I'm moving to Oz in August on my own maybe for a year just to see what it's like. I've got an Australian passport which saves me the hassle of getting a visa etc. I was just wondering if there's anyone around my age thinking of doing the same or has already done so? Also, where are the best places to meet new people because I'm rather scared of not knowing anyone?

I don't mind how old you are, I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences.

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by fripouille; Apr 6th 2008 at 10:30 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young people moving to Oz

Originally Posted by fripouille
I'm new to the Australia forum so hi everyone

I'm 18 years old and I'm moving to Oz in August on my own maybe for a year just to see what it's like. I've got an Australian passport which saves me the hassle of getting a visa etc. I was just wondering if there's anyone around my age thinking of doing the same or has already done so? Also, where are the best places to meet new people because I'm rather scared of not knowing anyone?

I don't mind how old you are, I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences.

Thanks,
Alex
Hi Alex. Welcome to the BE forum

I cannot talk from personal experience but I can tell you about a friends daughter who did the 'year out' thing a couple of years ago. So if you are planning to travel round OZ here is what she said:-

Emma toured New Zealand and Australia. She said the best way for meeting new people her own age was staying at 'backpackers' hostels, there are shady ones but really decent ones too. Australia is geared up for young people and offer many good deals on all major 'sight seeing' expeditions etc. Again, backpackers hostels are full of info that really help you plan your trip. She made some really good friends this way and still keeps in touch today!

Where abouts are you heading?

Gill
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

fripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi Alex. Welcome to the BE forum

I cannot talk from personal experience but I can tell you about a friends daughter who did the 'year out' thing a couple of years ago. So if you are planning to travel round OZ here is what she said:-

Emma toured New Zealand and Australia. She said the best way for meeting new people her own age was staying at 'backpackers' hostels, there are shady ones but really decent ones too. Australia is geared up for young people and offer many good deals on all major 'sight seeing' expeditions etc. Again, backpackers hostels are full of info that really help you plan your trip. She made some really good friends this way and still keeps in touch today!

Where abouts are you heading?

Gill
Hi Gill thanks a lot for the reply!

I was thinking of heading up near Townsville or at least somewhere in Queensland, get a bar job for a year just to see how I like it. If it's not for me then I can always try somewhere else or just come back to the UK. My dad went to Oz way back and ended up staying 20+ years, and he told me just to go for it.

I was well up for it before but I've read about a few people on here who have regretted it and are moving back to the UK, which has made me slightly worried and think a bit
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:42 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

hello i am an oldy but i came to oz when i was young and single. staying at backpacker hostels is the best way to do it (i was nursing so lived in the nurses home, my husband was staying in a backpackers when i met him) you will meet people from all over he world doing all sorts of things. do you have any relatives here? stay with them for a short while if you do but don't hang out with them too long as it will be boring. i would start in Sydney as it's the busiest and most fun. you will be able to get a job easily i am sure and staying at a backpackers you will be able to save money and then plan trips tp places you'd like to go. don't get too put off by peoples stories as your adventure will be yours. good luck and enjoy yourself. ali
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Apparantly it's a really good time to pick up casual work in Sydney - bars/restaurants/cafes are crying out for staff as there is really low unemployment here at the moment so people are very picky. The rely a lot on gap year students, but they have restrictions on the number of hours they can work, so with an Aussie passport you would have a real advantage.

As everyone else has said start out at the backpackers hostels to meet people. You will find plenty of ads then on the noticeboards for travelling companions/rooms to rent etc. You need one of the travellers' websites (maybe Tripadvisor?) for tips on which hostels to stay at/which to avoid. Some of them can be a bit grim.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fripouille

I was well up for it before but I've read about a few people on here who have regretted it and are moving back to the UK, which has made me slightly worried and think a bit
Don't worry about how other people got on, you are not them. You may be one of the thousands over the years who've loved it. If you turn out to be one of the ones who hate it you've lost nothing but gained experience. Go for it.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome
Townsville eh - we are in Cairns which is about a 4 hrs drive from there. we have good friends there and they love it! Queensland is a good place to start - so much to see and do, like most states in OZ.

Like moneypen said, its YOUR experience and it could be a fantastic one for you like it is for the majority of people. So GRAB IT and DONT hesitate

ENJOY!!!

Gill
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Heyjust wanted to say thanks for all the replies!

alex
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

GOOD LUCK