Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Awaiting Visa Decision - Should we sell?

Awaiting Visa Decision - Should we sell?

Old Jun 25th 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Awaiting Visa Decision - Should we sell?

As I stated in my previous post, everything is in Adelaide at the Moment, and we are awaiting DIMIA to request the bond money.

This is a difficult question, but I would be very gratefull of some usefull opinions. We want to go to Adelaide more than anything in the world, but if we didn`t get our Visa`s, we would never move anywhere else in our area, as we live in a very sought after area.( I hope that didn`t sound big headed, because it wasn`t meant to). We have a massive dillema, should we sell now, the reason for this, is we have 2 people interested and both can proceed and have nothing to sell, so no chains. They are both prepared to pay the asking price ( which is £20k more than we were expecting). I would love to sell now with the Property prices so high, but fear if we sell and our Visa`s are refused we would`nt be able to find a Property we like.

Help
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:29 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We are selling

Have you had the request for the police and medicals yet? This is one step in the process that gives you a positive signal of your chances of acceptance.

We haven't had these requested yet, but all things considered we are going ahead and selling asap. for the following reasons:

- It gives us freedom to rent something much smaller and save some money before we go
- The sooner we sell the more likely we are to get close to the asking price (sales are slowing down in our area at the mo)
- It takes a big unknown out of the equation
- If we sell the house and don't get the visa we'll have to move somewhere else!
- We are likely to invest the $100,000 bond money and so need to sell in order to have this ready.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi again,

We had our place on the market for nearly 3 months. Refurbished house close to good school near Hampton Court. Our childminder wanted to buy it but she was finding it difficult to sell hers.

All I can say is that the market died as soon as we put ours on. We only had one viewing and have had no feedback.

If it were me, I would ring the case officer and try and get a handle on timescales. If that looks promising I would talk to your purchasers about their flexibility on completion dates.

The market looked good to us until we put our house on. If you've already got pontential buyers I should hang on to them.

Cheers

Nick
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We are selling

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
Have you had the request for the police and medicals yet? This is one step in the process that gives you a positive signal of your chances of acceptance.

We haven't had these requested yet, but all things considered we are going ahead and selling asap. for the following reasons:

- It gives us freedom to rent something much smaller and save some money before we go
- The sooner we sell the more likely we are to get close to the asking price (sales are slowing down in our area at the mo)
- It takes a big unknown out of the equation
- If we sell the house and don't get the visa we'll have to move somewhere else!
- We are likely to invest the $100,000 bond money and so need to sell in order to have this ready.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Yes Medicals wer sent 8 weeks ago, Police checks sent fortnight ago.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default Fairly SIMPLE

SELL SELL SELL

You will be asked for the bond money very soon and by the time you have sold the house, normally 6 - 8 weeks

You will have your visa - my advice DO NOT waste this opportunity of selling your house for full value many people are dipping out as the housing market is slowing down

TAMBO
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:45 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Awaiting Visa Decision - Should we sell?

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
We want to go to Adelaide more than anything in the world
Sorry I don't mean to pry, but why do you want to go to Adelaide, "more than anything in the world".

Having been there on numerous occasions I must say I have never felt any compulsion.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:46 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Fairly SIMPLE

Originally posted by Tambo
SELL SELL SELL

You will be asked for the bond money very soon and by the time you have sold the house, normally 6 - 8 weeks

You will have your visa - my advice DO NOT waste this opportunity of selling your house for full value many people are dipping out as the housing market is slowing down

TAMBO
Agree with Tambo. I think I got asked for bond money, which I just paid yesterday, about two or so weeks after police checks send off, so it should be any day now for you.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 1:04 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We are selling

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
Yes Medicals wer sent 8 weeks ago, Police checks sent fortnight ago.

Yes but were they REQUESTED? I have also sent mine off but they haven't been requested yet (I'm just far too organised for this! ). If they have been requested by the DIMIA then that is a good indication that everything is OK. If you have just sent them in anticipation then I would maybe be a wee bit more careful about selling.

I'm sure tho I read that yours had been requested in an earlier thread so I would also go ahead with the sale. Depends really how anxious you want to get out there.

Sorry, I'm no use at posting advice!!!

V
Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If you want to get out there quickly I would sell it. You should hear in a matter of weeks and if you accept the offer you are entitled to back out.

As long as your meds are ok - any feedback from the DR? Your visas should be granted. I havn't heard of anyone that hasn't had it that has been entitled to it.

Take the bull by the horns and go for it. You will also save estate agents costs.

Tina
Old Jun 25th 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We agonised about this one ourselves and opted for selling right away.

If the checks have been requested you should be fine so SELL! Buyers are in short supply right now. We had to accept one with a 4 person chain.

Tactics are the key here:

Even with a chain-free buyer exchange can take a few weeks - survey, valuation, mortgage paperwork - plus you can always stall until your visa arrives. Tell your buyer via estate agent that you are turning down other offers so you need them to 'show good faith' by getting their survey done asap. Once your buyer's paid out some legal and survey costs they'll probably wait if you then explain your visa has been delayed briefly. Then you can drop out at the last minute in the slim chance that visa doesn't work out. If you get the guilts you can always reimburse their survey costs...it's worth the gamble.

Go for it!

PS Exchanging on our house sale next month (fingers crossed) - 6 week completion then we're off!
Old Jun 25th 2003, 5:28 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
If you want to get out there quickly I would sell it. You should hear in a matter of weeks and if you accept the offer you are entitled to back out.

As long as your meds are ok - any feedback from the DR? Your visas should be granted. I havn't heard of anyone that hasn't had it that has been entitled to it.

Take the bull by the horns and go for it. You will also save estate agents costs.

Tina
Good advice Tinaj - what was the feedback from the doctor - if you have no medical or family restraints (disability) then the next steps should be fine.

But if you would never leave your house/area if visas did not happen why risk it? Hang out that sale period - easily done as long as you do not give an exchange date because the point of exchange is the one you have the large costs involved in if you do not move - 10%

Best of Luck