frozen pensions

Old Jun 4th 2003, 6:51 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default frozen pensions

My husband tried to get a transfer value of his pension,but they would not give him one as they said they are wating for some new bill to be passed in the goverment to do with pensions.As anyone else come across this with there pensions,his pension is frozen at present with his previous employer(BMW) .Possibly wont get any info for months to come and we are moving to oz in aug...
Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:04 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I phoned our insurance company today to discuss pensions and options...they said nothing to me about a new bill...both companies are providing us with a transfer value as it stands today...
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:16 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The trustees are obliged to give certain information on written request, see http://www.opas.org.uk/publications/...ourPension.htm

What information do I have to ask for?
Upon written request you are entitled to receive:

a benefit statement if you are in a final salary scheme. This should include:
your membership data as held by the scheme authorities; and details of your benefits either now or assuming you continue as a member of the scheme until normal retirement age (unless you are already receiving your pension from the scheme), in either case using your present pensionable pay
details of the transfer value should you leave and transfer your benefits to alternative pension arrangements (unless you are already receiving your pension from the scheme)

You are entitled to see or receive on request:

information about the scheme's constitution, usually the trust deed and rules. You are also entitled to see any amendments made since the documents were issued
a copy of the scheme's Annual Report and Accounts
a copy of the latest actuarial valuation
a copy of the latest schedule of contributions
a copy of the latest statement of investment principles.
With the exception of the Annual Report and Accounts, the scheme can make a modest charge.
In the case of most public service schemes only the first requirement above applies.

Is there any other information I can have?
Under trust law you should be able to see documents which are the property of the scheme authorities. You do not have a right to see anything which has confidential information about another member or his or her benefits.

Where can I get the information?
You should ask the scheme authorities. In practice it is often someone such as the scheme administrator who will actually provide the information.

Is something wrong if I can't get the information I want?
The regulations which set out what information the scheme authorities must provide are very complicated. Failure to provide the information can be a clue that there are problems with the running of the company pension scheme. If you are having difficulty in obtaining information, have put your request in writing to the scheme authorities and have not received a satisfactory reply, you should contact OPAS.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 1:47 am
Just Joined

David Ford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: frozen pensions

Originally posted by tia
My husband tried to get a transfer value of his pension,but they would not give him one as they said they are wating for some new bill to be passed in the goverment to do with pensions.As anyone else come across this with there pensions,his pension is frozen at present with his previous employer(BMW) .Possibly wont get any info for months to come and we are moving to oz in aug...
We deal with pension transfers to Australia and NZ and have dealt with BMW several times.

Pending new legislation modifying the transfer regulations see attached OPRA bulletin - schemes are able to decline to issue a transfer value.

http://www.opra.gov.uk/publications/...s/up1-04.shtml

Once the new legislation is in place (expected during the Summer) the issue will be resolved.

This does not affect peopel who have personal pension plans.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 6:11 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks david for info on my husbands BMW pension,they have told him to get in contact with them later in the year for a transfer value.We move to oz in aug 03 so will have to do it from that end,we will be in contact with you as soon as we no.Could you tell us your address to get in contact with you from perth......many thanks