Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Avionics technician/aircraft electrician

Avionics technician/aircraft electrician

Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avionics technician/aircraft electrician

Originally Posted by lossiepickle
sorry i didn't put that over to well lolol
for jobs in defence do you have to be Permanent Residents as my oh is in the raf at the moment and with having already had a security clearance in this country can that be transferrable..

Lossiepickle, are you at Lossiemouth?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Lossiepickle, are you at Lossiemouth?
was until 6mths ago at aldergrove now its my hubby
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

was until 6mths ago at aldergrove now its my hubby
I was a sootie on 12 sqn in the late 80's when they had Bucaneers and Hunters, is 12 sqn still there?

Last edited by Ian & Sharon; Mar 10th 2008 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I was a sootie on 12 sqn in the late 80's when they had Bucaneers and Hunters, is 12 sqn still there?
yeah it's 12,14,15 & 617 but the rumour is that they won't all be there for too much longer.the whole world is about to collapse into the black hole that is Marham...oops there I go rumour mongering again!

dave
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunstenchecksout
Hi,

I work as an Avionics Design Engineer at a RAAF base near Sydney. If its any help I've heard the job market is extremely good for your area with loads in demand.

Suggestions I would have would be Brisbane airport for all the usual suspects (Qantas, JetStar, Virgin Blue etc) (sorry fairly obvious suggestion I'm sure!!!)

But also RAAF Base Amberley is about 50km south of Brisbane there are civilian companies that do support contracts there.... these are Qantas Defence Services (http://www.qds.qantas.com.au) who I believe will do A330 tankers there and other options being Boeing and Tenix in support of the fast jets. Hope this helps

cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin, that's all really useful.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Basic hours where Steve and my hubby work are 7.30am - 3.30pm Monday to Thursday and 7.30am to 1pm Fridays (38 hours). My hubby usually works average of about 10 hours a week overtime and for that he takes home around $1050 per week. To give you an idea of outgoings then - we put $500 per week towards our bills which includes everything (phone, gas, elec, rent, insurances, broadband etc etc etc) apart from groceries and petrol. Add around $175 per week for groceries and $50 per week petrol and you'd be about right. So a total of $725 outgoings a week would be about average. Obviously you then need to find some spending money from somewhere!!!! Its pretty tight to be honest.
They are fab hours! At the mo my OH leaves home at 6am to start at 7am and finishes at 6-7pm Monday-Friday. Thanks for all the info Mrs Jackaroo, you've been a great help
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

yeah it's 12,14,15 & 617 but the rumour is that they won't all be there for too much longer.the whole world is about to collapse into the black hole that is Marham...oops there I go rumour mongering again!

dave
What happened to 208sqn & 8sqn. Well I think it was 8 they where on the other side on your way to 12 and where shakletons then!
Are the Jags still there?

Still got a few mates in and they have said its all changed, you have something called the "Harrier force" now
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:38 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG
They are fab hours! At the mo my OH leaves home at 6am to start at 7am and finishes at 6-7pm Monday-Friday. Thanks for all the info Mrs Jackaroo, you've been a great help

Yep they are good hours - but for working the BASIC hours he'd take home around $750 a week - leaving us with absolutely NO money left over. At the mo he leaves at 6.30am and gets home at 6.15pm Monday to Thursday - sometimes he finishes at 3pm on Fridays (which then totals up the 10 hours overtimes) but sometimes he works on until 5pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:40 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

for jobs in defence do you have to be Permanent Residents as my oh is in the raf at the moment and with having already had a security clearance in this country can that be transferrable..
We came across to work for QDS (qantas defence services) on a Temp 457 Visa (they sponsored us). I think it just depends on where you work to be honest. Generally they look for PR
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

steve_m is on a distinguished road

No, you don't always need PR. Many of the guys here are ex-RAF and were sponsored by the company on a 457 Temp Visa. Almost all get their PR within the first year or so. The UK security clearance does not count for anything but (here at least) the 457 Visa or PR plus a company police check is sufficient. All that said, there are many defence positions advertised where citizenship is a prerequisite.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by steve_m
No, you don't always need PR. Many of the guys here are ex-RAF and were sponsored by the company on a 457 Temp Visa. Almost all get their PR within the first year or so. The UK security clearance does not count for anything but (here at least) the 457 Visa or PR plus a company police check is sufficient. All that said, there are many defence positions advertised where citizenship is a prerequisite.
Yep that was true for us Steve - got PR after 3 months - seems a life time away now
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yep that was true for us Steve - got PR after 3 months - seems a life time away now
Ah yes, but what a better life
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

That's took a lot of worrk from my mind as I've been warned off pursuing the 457 route but if getting PR within a year is realistic then I can start looking to companies offering it.I did E-mail quantas who told me they would only consider me if I got a visa first but I've got an expo in london this weekend so maybe I might get lucky lol.

Thanks for the info.

dave
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

That's took a lot of worrk from my mind as I've been warned off pursuing the 457 route but if getting PR within a year is realistic then I can start looking to companies offering it.I did E-mail quantas who told me they would only consider me if I got a visa first but I've got an expo in london this weekend so maybe I might get lucky lol.

Thanks for the info.

dave

I know that the QDS website (http://www.qds.qantas.com.au) says that PR is a requirement but as you'll notice from many of the comments on here, it is not unusual for them to sponsor qualified people with experience on type.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info.

dave
From what I've heard Dave they're not going down the route of recruiting from the UK anymore using the same process - sponsoring on a 457 Visa. A lot of the employees do the minimum 2 years and then head off elsewhere so it hasnt been cost effective. South Africa is in the plans now I think. Sorry

But if you get your PR visa I'm pretty sure you'd have no problems getting a job over here if you have the right qualifications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.