Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average wage for a family of 3?

Average wage for a family of 3?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Average wage for a family of 3?

Husband ,my 2 year old and i will be arriving in Brisbane in Sept(planning to live above) and just wondered what an average wage for a family that size would be?
Were hoping that i can stay home with my son until he goes to school so it's down to my husband (who has some job offers) to earn enough for the family.
I'm not talking anything fancy just enough to pay for the usual stuff, rent,telephone ,internet, run 2 cars,utilities,food etc
Is anyone a similar family size and what do you manage on?
Thanks for any help
Sunbound
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average wage for a family of 3?

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Husband ,my 2 year old and i will be arriving in Brisbane in Sept(planning to live above) and just wondered what an average wage for a family that size would be?
Were hoping that i can stay home with my son until he goes to school so it's down to my husband (who has some job offers) to earn enough for the family.
I'm not talking anything fancy just enough to pay for the usual stuff, rent,telephone ,internet, run 2 cars,utilities,food etc
Thanks for any help
Sunbound
Good and interesting thread. Needs answers though. So come on you guys who've settled already in OZ!!

We are also a family of 3 and planning to move to Sydney in August this year, with little money behind us. Just my wage at first. Maybe OH will then work...

What is the 'lowest' wage can a family of three REALISTICALLY survive on (I mean not living on bread line nor living like a King but in between as much as possible)

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Thanks for any help
Sunbound

I've seen similar threads of this kind, and it seems quite a difficult question for people to answer. and i know a lot of the guys already out in Oz would reply saying that it depends on several things - ie, whether you'll be renting - and if so what & where you're planning on renting - and also whether you will eventually have a mortgage - and if so how big a mortgage...and if you have money initially to set yourselves up with a car etc etc....
There was a recent thread where someone asked if an annual salary of A$60k would be sufficient to live on and many responded saying that they imagined closer to A$80k was a more realistic wage to live comfortably on. I think this took into consideration the fact that food shopping etc is quite expensive.
But then there's always others that will respond saying that they do manage on the 1st figure or lower!!! I guess it depends on what kind of interests/spending habits people have!

Not much use i know....(sorry about that!) - but just warning you that the responses will vary considerably!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Hi Travelbug,
Thank you. I know i've read some previously ... cant seem to find them now !! I just wondered if there were any 2 adult 1 child families renting somewhere above Brisbane say anywhere but no farther than Burpengary and were managing on one salary? Our situation has changed a little recently and has caused us to ask this question.I know it is difficult to say, but any ideas are greatly received
Thanks Sunbound
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi Travelbug,
Thank you. I know i've read some previously ... cant seem to find them now !! I just wondered if there were any 2 adult 1 child families renting somewhere above Brisbane say anywhere but no farther than Burpengary and were managing on one salary? Our situation has changed a little recently and has caused us to ask this question.I know it is difficult to say, but any ideas are greatly received
Thanks Sunbound

I hope someone can answer your question.
I know money is a big worry for a lot of us when we're planning the big move.
We know it'll be tight as my OH will be earning a lot less in Tasmania (where we're headed) than what he does here in the UK - and the wages are less than the mainland...but we're hoping to recoup the difference in the fact that properties etc are cheaper....

Good luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all

Thanks for any help
Sunbound
Hi Sunbound

Just found this thread, we are in the same boat as you a family of 3 moving to Brisbane and only one wage which will be about $60k as well. Before my OH took the job we asked a friend who already lives their if this would be enough, he found all his bills sent us a copy of if and we worked it out we would be ok. We would not be able to life a life of luxury but we would have spare more each week, which would be fine for us expecially as we will have no debts either and if we wanted a little extra OH could always do a bit of overtime every couple of weeks. Hope this helps

emma