Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Melbourne for kids?

Perth or Melbourne for kids?

Old May 30th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Perth or Melbourne for kids?

Please advise if you can. My wife and I, with three children (ages 5, 3 and 1) will be moving down under next July and would be extremely grateful if you offer us some advice. We can purchase property of up to $380,000 and would like to live somewhere near to the coast but also near to the City (within an hours drive). It must have good schooling, sports and toddler facilities and generally a friedly place to live. Perth and Melbourne only.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Melbourne for kids?

Hello, we have twin three year olds - we currently rent in Mordialloc in Melbourne, but we have bought a block of land in Langwarrin which is an area that might well fit your criteria.

It's a nice family area with lots of parks and open space, lots of kindys, primary schools, golf courses etc, 10 mins drive from the sea, but within 1 hour drive of the CBD. It would fit with your property budget too. Have a search on Langwarrin at www.realestate.com.au.

Buzzy
Old May 31st 2008, 1:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Please advise if you can. My wife and I, with three children (ages 5, 3 and 1) will be moving down under next July and would be extremely grateful if you offer us some advice. We can purchase property of up to $380,000 and would like to live somewhere near to the coast but also near to the City (within an hours drive). It must have good schooling, sports and toddler facilities and generally a friedly place to live. Perth and Melbourne only.
If you're thinking of Perth you had best up your house price. $380 won't get you much near the coast here. The median house price in Perth at the moment is $480k (as heard on the radio yesterday).
Old May 31st 2008, 2:20 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you're thinking of Perth you had best up your house price. $380 won't get you much near the coast here. The median house price in Perth at the moment is $480k (as heard on the radio yesterday).
Agreed but I don't think Melly is much cheaper.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

You can get a nice house for that price to the south of Perth, around Rockingham, Warnbro, Port Kennedy - all near beautiful beaches and within 45 mins of Perth CBD. In the north of Perth, you can sometimes find houses up around Quinn's Rock, Merriwa, Clarkson for that price, which area near the sea and about 30 mins from Perth. Carramar's supposed to be nice, but a bit more expensive. Have a look on realestate.com au
Old May 31st 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hello, we have twin three year olds - we currently rent in Mordialloc in Melbourne, but we have bought a block of land in Langwarrin which is an area that might well fit your criteria.

It's a nice family area with lots of parks and open space, lots of kindys, primary schools, golf courses etc, 10 mins drive from the sea, but within 1 hour drive of the CBD. It would fit with your property budget too. Have a search on Langwarrin at www.realestate.com.au.

Buzzy
Hi Simon,
Thanks for replying - you have been very helpful. My parents live in Kilsyth, Melbourne but were unable to offer any recommendations other than in their area. We will be moving over next year to either Perth or Melbourne.
Thanks again
Alan
Old May 31st 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Perth or Melbourne for kids?

Thanks very much to you all for replying to my message. Your advice I'm sure will be extremely helpful and has abled me me to pin pointcertain locations when I make a brief visit later this year.
Thanks
Alan
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:53 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Hi Simon,
Thanks for replying - you have been very helpful. My parents live in Kilsyth, Melbourne but were unable to offer any recommendations other than in their area. We will be moving over next year to either Perth or Melbourne.
Thanks again
Alan
Alan - would it not make more sense to go to Melbourne if you have family there?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I recommend Melbourne. Perth is more expensive and fewer job opportunities.

Melbourne is a bigger city and much closer to the other parts of the country.

Also you have family, so I recommend it
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:08 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I recommend Melbourne. Perth is more expensive and fewer job opportunities.

Melbourne is a bigger city and much closer to the other parts of the country.

Also you have family, so I recommend it
Perth = fewer job opportunities??? Surely you jest?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
This got me worried

I heard Perth had brill job oportunities in many sectors

Bluekipper

Last edited by bluekipper; Jun 2nd 2008 at 12:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

hampshire chick is an unknown quantity at this point

If its any help, I've been told by a reliable source that at the moment perth's unemployment is less than 3% and that there is about six jobs to every person !! I'm not sure about Melbourne because I haven't looked into it But When we recently visited Perth it felt very family orientated, great beaches, great weather and the house prices are apparently starting to level out and even drop in some areas.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Have seen today a few houses in Port Kennedy @ $389K would expect a
discount if offering,probably $35K less.
Don't know if east or west of Warnbro Sound Avenue (west is closer to the sea)
but all Port Kennedy is with in walking distance of at least one primary school .
The market has come back but is expected to slowly rise once confidence
returns (speculators )
No problems with work if you are willing to try your hand at anything.
i.e. store man/packers earn a min $50k
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
There's a Perth in Tasmania. I think he must be talking about there because he ain't talking about the Perth I live in!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:37 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There's a Perth in Tasmania. I think he must be talking about there because he ain't talking about the Perth I live in!
Definitely not. I can't think of a company / organisation that doesn't have staff shortages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.