Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average wage computer programmer Sydney

Average wage computer programmer Sydney

Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:20 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Average wage computer programmer Sydney

Anyone help me with what the average wage for a computer programmer is in Sydney?

This is a highly experienced programmer, dealing with multimedia etc, working for the ABC in Sydney.

I'm just putting in some paperwork for the Child support agency and I need to give them a figure of what I *think* my children's father is earning, over what he says he is earning.

Currently he claims this is $50K which seems incredibly low for such a job. Given that previous incomes have been at the $90k mark, $50k seems like a waiter's income, not someone from in a skilled position.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:55 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Average wage computer programmer Sydney

Without more information its impossible to say.

Programmers can get anywhere from $50k-$200k depending on what kind of development they are doing, whether they are contract or permanent and all kinds of other stuff.

I'd imagine the ABC would be a pretty low payer - so an entry level developer job (which may be the only one he could find) could easily be at $50k unfortunately.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Programmers can get anywhere from $50k-$200k depending on what kind of development they are doing, whether they are contract or permanent and all kinds of other stuff.

I'd imagine the ABC would be a pretty low payer - so an entry level developer job (which may be the only one he could find) could easily be at $50k unfortunately.
Agreed.

Here is a job add for a DevOps Engineer, TV Multiplatform, for which they are offering ~$80k.
http://careers.abc.net.au/jobDetails...W&sLanguage=en

Take into account his likely lower skills, the difficulty of entry above the base level, and the costs associated with being a contractor (which maybe how he's employed, judging by the ads in this area of ABC) and I'd say the figure was probably fair.

And the lessons is, be a programmer at a bank, not the ABC - and don't being in a situation where you are competing against outsourcing to Vietnam.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:45 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

+1 ABC often pays lower than commercial interests.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I'm sure they are low payers, no doubt. Why would you take a entry level developer job after giving up a job developing for iphones which paid double that then? It doesn't make much sense... Especially considering his experience?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by GarryP
Agreed.

Here is a job add for a DevOps Engineer, TV Multiplatform, for which they are offering ~$80k.
http://careers.abc.net.au/jobDetails...W&sLanguage=en

Take into account his likely lower skills, the difficulty of entry above the base level, and the costs associated with being a contractor (which maybe how he's employed, judging by the ads in this area of ABC) and I'd say the figure was probably fair.
Lower skills is not something that he has. His skills are extremely high. Thanks for the ad, I'll take a look.

Edited to add: That's funny re the ad because he's told the kids that he's going to be working on iView next. Thanks I'll add that to the paperwork and the CSA can take it up with the ABC.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Jun 6th 2013 at 9:00 am.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:17 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Lower skills is not something that he has. His skills are extremely high. Thanks for the ad, I'll take a look.

Edited to add: That's funny re the ad because he's told the kids that he's going to be working on iView next. Thanks I'll add that to the paperwork and the CSA can take it up with the ABC.
If you are working in IT for ABC, it's a fair bet that you are working on some aspect of iView at some point. I say lesser skills because of your description, and in general in corporate IT an 'engineer' is higher pay than 'developer'.

Don't forget, if he's 'contract' then he has company costs that come out of the headline rate. It looks like their IT people are mainly on contract.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:37 am

Ah, well he's not an engineer, he's a highly skilled developer. And yes, company costs do, but you should also put your tax return in if you're running a business and he hasn't... for years.
His company is him and him alone, so costs? Not much.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Hays Salary Survey shows $55 to 80k (typical $68k) for a developer and $75 to $100k (typical $85k) for a senior developer then $95 to 125k (typical 105k) for a team lead. Hays are generally well regarded in their IT salary surveys.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone help me with what the average wage for a computer programmer is in Sydney?

This is a highly experienced programmer, dealing with multimedia etc, working for the ABC in Sydney.

I'm just putting in some paperwork for the Child support agency and I need to give them a figure of what I *think* my children's father is earning, over what he says he is earning.

Currently he claims this is $50K which seems incredibly low for such a job. Given that previous incomes have been at the $90k mark, $50k seems like a waiter's income, not someone from in a skilled position.
Child support can easily check his income, why are they asking you to estimate it?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:51 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

How rupees a year?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
How rupees a year?
exactly.. ... his salary is only going to become less and less from here on in
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

+1 His tax return will prove his earnings.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Child support can easily check his income, why are they asking you to estimate it?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, they can't. They can only go on either:
His last tax return.
What he says he's earning.

If there's no last tax return, nor any from the years before, and if he's contracting, then how do Child support check his income?
They don't check incomes as a matter of course... you have to get them to do it by putting in a change of assessment under 'special circumstances' - reason 8.
Then they'll check. Otherwise no.

Originally Posted by Hino
+1 His tax return will prove his earnings.
Hahahhahahahahahahahahaha.

What last tax return?

Luckily the ATO have now made avoiding putting in a tax return to avoid correct payment of Child support as tax evasion.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that isn't a harmonious separation.

So your ex-partner is working for the ABC without either himself or the ABC declaring his income ?

If we accept that it's a given that he is not declaring his income, how does the ABC pay him without a Tax File Number ??

Employee or contractor he still needs to provide a T.F.N. before receiving payment from the ABC.

It seems that you suspect that he is understating his income in order to evade his financial responsibility's. If that is the case why not just inform the child support agency that he is earning $500K a year and leave it to him to him to defend your claim by producing his financial records.

No, they can't. They can only go on either:
His last tax return.
What he says he's earning.

If there's no last tax return, nor any from the years before, and if he's contracting, then how do Child support check his income?
They don't check incomes as a matter of course... you have to get them to do it by putting in a change of assessment under 'special circumstances' - reason 8.
Then they'll check. Otherwise no.

Hahahhahahahahahahahahaha.

What last tax return?

Luckily the ATO have now made avoiding putting in a tax return to avoid correct payment of Child support as tax evasion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.