Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Annual Salary to live on in Victoria

Average Annual Salary to live on in Victoria

Old Aug 9th 2013, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average Annual Salary to live on in Victoria

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Well I don't earn anywhere near 2.5 times the $ equivalent and live pretty much the same lifestyle.

Maybe Brisbane is cheaper?
No, BB has been saying for years 2.5, 2.5, 2.5; no matter what has happened to the exchange rate (it's gone from the 2.5 to 1.7), relative rates of inflation in UK or Australia, relative incomes in different occupations in UK or Australia .............

My guess is you convert your current UK income into AUD's at the current exchange rate and then you add a factor of 20%, 30% or whatever. Who knows, as pointed out it will vary from person to person, where you are in Melbourne or where you are in Victoria and so many other factors as to make it pure guesswork - if 2.5 works so be it but it could be 1.7, 2 or anything else, there's no science to it other than it must be related to the current exchange rate and relative cost of living.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Average Annual Salary to live on in Victoria

Originally Posted by OzTennis
No, BB has been saying for years 2.5, 2.5, 2.5; no matter what has happened to the exchange rate (it's gone from the 2.5 to 1.7),
Correct, the relative cost of living in both countries is not affected much by changes in the exchange rate.

When we arrived here 6 years ago £100 bought $250 worth of stuff. Today £100 still buys $250 worth of stuff. The difference is that today £100 only exchanges to $170.

BB
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi,

If it helps, I am also the breadwinner in our family and Hubby is the "House Executive Director". We have two kids aged 5 and 9, both in primary school. We're managing on a salary of around $70k before tax, plus FTB and a bit of rent assistance from Centrelink. I think you qualify for those if you're on a PR visa, but someone else may be able to confirm this.

We don't have an extravagant lifestyle on that but we can afford to have takeaways once a week, the odd weekend trip away, go to the footy or movies when we feel like it. We are also sending money overseas every month, once that stops life will get a lot more comfortable.

Let me know if you want more specifics - happy to help.

Geeze we are definatley doing summit wrong!

For the op ...... I am a nurse and earn around 1100 a week. That includes salary packaging. Here nurses can also package meals (you can get a sort of credit card for this which you can only use to eat out.... I love that card lol. Means we can eat out once week easily (4 of us)

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 11th 2013 at 11:18 am.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Correct, the relative cost of living in both countries is not affected much by changes in the exchange rate.

When we arrived here 6 years ago £100 bought $250 worth of stuff. Today £100 still buys $250 worth of stuff. The difference is that today £100 only exchanges to $170.

BB
This point stands if you can successfully gauge that the cost of living = GBP100-AUS250. I would say that unless you are some sort of locationalisation expert it's very hard to say but 2.5 might be a good start. I prefer working out what proportion of income is required to service a likely basket of goods.

Your point about the FX rate is also valid. And is at its most useful (only useful) if you are using GBP to get started (very likely) or fund living (possibly relevant).

Additional points.
The cost of living has gone up a lot in 5 years. Who knows whether more than in the departure place.

We have a price sensitive point where by an income less than about 85k a year (one income, taxed aggressively) would cause us to struggle to achieve the things we do. But then we have a fairly small mortgage, and our kids are of primary school age - they do a lot of activities which require subscription and we run old cars. No Foxtel.