help!!

Old Jul 29th 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

kateanderin will become famous soon enoughkateanderin will become famous soon enough
Default help!!

Hi. I am a mental health nurse and a single mum with a 6 year old daughter. I have dreamed of moving to Australia for years but the time's never been right. Now it is. I have got my nursing registration in queensland but now am informed that I cannot apply for permanent positions. Have had no feedback since submitting an expression of interest in May. Jobs look more accessible in perth but I'm really confused. Can I afford to live as a single parent in perth? Ideally I'd like to be near the beach, parks and good schools, not too far from hussle and bussle but not too near either. I have a rather crazy dog who loves open spaces. Any advice would be most welcome. y
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help!!

Originally Posted by kateanderin
Hi. I am a mental health nurse and a single mum with a 6 year old daughter. I have dreamed of moving to Australia for years but the time's never been right. Now it is. I have got my nursing registration in queensland but now am informed that I cannot apply for permanent positions. Have had no feedback since submitting an expression of interest in May. Jobs look more accessible in perth but I'm really confused. Can I afford to live as a single parent in perth? Ideally I'd like to be near the beach, parks and good schools, not too far from hussle and bussle but not too near either. I have a rather crazy dog who loves open spaces. Any advice would be most welcome. y
Everyone in Australia wants to live near the beach, parks and good schools. The closer you get the higher the house price, and in Perth that's no joke.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be difficult getting a job in QLD Health at the moment, particularly in mental health as there are fewer opportunities. Some private hospitals might have opportunities but they are usually casual, so no security.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

kateanderin will become famous soon enoughkateanderin will become famous soon enough

I thought there was a shortage of mental health nurses in Australia?
Should have msde the move years ago! !!.... would you suggest moving Perth?
Thankd for your help. X
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you focus on getting your visa and then decide?

What did the EOI relate to? I am not clear what you have done, but certainly don't hope to put in a EOI and wait for job offers, if you put in an EOI for the skilled migrant visa then I would be concerned that you have not heard anything yet. But I just wonder if you are going about things the right way...
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Why Perth in particular, apart from a perception that jobs are more plentiful? I've never been there but know a lot of people through forums, as well as working for a company with strong Perth connections, so I have a fair second-hand knowledge of life there and it seems to be of similar quality to many places in the East. I also know that it's murderously expensive to buy or rent there and as a single mother that should be of some concern to you.

Seriously I'd be looking at regional areas where you will get cheaper rentals and where there are certainly openings in mental health and possibly with your qualifications less competition than in the capitals. I'd be reading up on the likes of Newcastle, larger provincial cities such as Wollongong, Geelong, Port Macquarie, even look at Adelaide. All have lovely beaches, parks, first rank schooling, decent public transport and supermarkets etc but means the difference between a $450 pw unit or a $250 one.

Edit; also note that it will cost you around GBP 3000 to bring the dog and have it quarantined for a month at Perth, Sydney or Melbourne. Australia is uber strict on importing animals.

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 29th 2013 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why don't you focus on getting your visa and then decide?

What did the EOI relate to? I am not clear what you have done, but certainly don't hope to put in a EOI and wait for job offers, if you put in an EOI for the skilled migrant visa then I would be concerned that you have not heard anything yet. But I just wonder if you are going about things the right way...
Queensland Health has an online jobs system where you submit an EOI and then they contact you if there are jobs available - I doubt there are many at present though
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a visa? And permission to remove your child to Australia? Those are your first hurdles before looking for jobs.

As for living in Perth as a single parent with what you're looking for I would say you are goin to struggle. What will you do with your child whe you're working shifts? Daycare costs will take a great deal of your wage I would think for out of hours/overnight care. Maybe country WA would be more affordable, but there wouldn't likely be jobs.

Anyway, without a visa or permission to remove your child from UK the rest is moot at this point.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Queensland Health has an online jobs system where you submit an EOI and then they contact you if there are jobs available - I doubt there are many at present though
Ah ok, thought it might have been the visa EOI.

Still a very passive approach to securing a job and visa, would suggest OP thinks about strategy a bit more.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Queensland health recommend an employmebt sponsored visa which would mean having tobe offered a job first. They can also help with relocation expenses such as airfares and temporary accommodation.
I am more than happy to get a different visa. And yes, I do have permission to take my child. I am hoping to work in the community rather than a hospital so that I'll work office type hours.
My dog has everything he needs to go and I can't believe how expensive it is to take him. He's worth it though.
Thanks for all your replies. I'm finding it all a bit daunting and appreciate any help and advice.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Community mental health work often involves work out of office hours. I have friends who have worked community mental health and one left for exactly that reason - it was hard working lates etc and juggling childcare. Another friend turned down a job offer with them a few years ago after finding out that the job would include late shifts that she didn't want and there didn't seem to be the opportunity for flexibility. I'm a mental health nurse and work for GP's under a particular government programme which is office hours, however, the funding future for the programme is looking dodgy and the work has been capped for over 12 months now awaiting review. The future isn't all that rosy unfortunately but if you are determined and do a lot of research, you will find something, somewhere in Australia. If you can, it is better to apply for an independent visa so you are not tied to an employer.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Queensland health recommend an employmebt sponsored visa which would mean having tobe offered a job first. They can also help with relocation expenses such as airfares and temporary accommodation.
I am more than happy to get a different visa. And yes, I do have permission to take my child. I am hoping to work in the community rather than a hospital so that I'll work office type hours.
My dog has everything he needs to go and I can't believe how expensive it is to take him. He's worth it though.
Thanks for all your replies. I'm finding it all a bit daunting and appreciate any help and advice.
Don't take any notice if what Queensland Health recommend, what is best for them is not necessarily best for you.

For sure a permanent visa is best for you, particularly as a single mum. A 457 (temporary visa) is best for them because it can get people over quickly if that is what they need and then the employee is bound to them. Free flights over is a very short term view compared to having permanent residency.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

I'm looking into independent visas as I write....
Seem to have alot more flexibility and therefore security.
It'd be a bonus if I were to get help with costs but if not I've budgeted for the move and am prepared for the expense.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

As it happens I'm visiting a friend who is currently in a mental health unit (Vietnam Veteran, long story ) and have spoken a couple of times to the staff there, there's a German female nurse and a nice lady from Zimbabwe, so migrants obviously do get jobs in the trade in regional areas.

As a single mother I'd guess a regional area would be far better than an expensive capital city. Problem is to track those jobs down.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

I've looked into independent skilled visas (189) and yhis seems applicable to me. I am a little concernd about the time it takes to obtain this visa as my nursing registration is due to lapseend may 2014. I will contact AHPRA and see if I can eextend this until I have my visa. Having read the government website it seems confusing. Do you think I'd be bettr going through an agency or independently? An agent seeems to charge between £2 and £3000.
It's alot on top of visa fees and costs for my dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.