Reload this Page >

Auz/NZ? Whats to choose?

Auz/NZ? Whats to choose?

Old Jan 15th 2003, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auz/NZ? Whats to choose?

Hi,
I'm still a relative newcomer to this forum, posted a few times, but I mainly drop in and have a read most days. Its been a real eyeopener on the workings of the emigration procedure.

Now heres the point, it's not that we're getting cold feet, only just downloaded the forms from the Aus Gov site (saved to a cd and printed off at work I might add) so we really are at the early stage, but have we overlooked NZ? The world is our oyster so to speak. Perth is our place of choice at the moment, but should our fact finding holiday include NZ? NZ Air are offering tickets for £650 ish at the moment. We have no family ties in Perth, just that the info on Perth indicated it might suit us. It will be 2 or more years before all things fall into place. But reading this forum has opened our eyes a little bit. So where's the best place to get independant advice and info (apart from here of course) on all aspects of NZ. Has anyone got some useful web sites? Anyone been there done it, read the book etc. Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auz/NZ? Whats to choose?

hi,
just browsing beyond the bitter arguments at the top of the page and wanted to get this post up to the top again. i had noticed it the other day and was looking forward to the replies it would receive on this forum. maybe, it's a bad time (or maybe the wrong forum even!) but surely there's someone out there with a few suggestions!!!

let's go back to what it's about
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi jajpe, thanks for the thought. I too am a little suprised that there were no replies to such a reasonable request, but there you go. So at the risk of being sad and replying to myself, can I focus my question a little? Lets take it that we want to have a much earned holiday in Australia and maybe NZ in july/august. I know its your winter but that the only time we can get off. Can someone suggest a reasonably fluid itinerary for a 4 week period? We have been told that Perth is a good starting point and a great place to settle down. What's the cost of internal flights? We would have to go to Sydney. Is it feasible and affordable to hire an RV for a few days or longer. Would two weeks at one place and two at another be a good idea. I've been on the Lets-Perth.com site which has loads of good articles, is there a Lets-Melbourne site? Or similar. As I said on a previous post somewhere, where is the migrants guide to migration? Surely someone somewhere on this forum has the wherewithall and the knowledge to write it. I'd buy one and from some of the questions asked by me and others on this site, there is a need.
Many thanks
sully
Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We initially considered Perth as so many Brits are going there. After we visited Oz we realised it is too isolated for us. Internal flights are quite expensive - look up Virgin blue or Quantas- and it means flying when you want to get to any other City.

We went to the East Coast and drove up From Sydney to N.Queensland- spent around 2 weeks travelling. I would recommend the trip, the East coast is great as you can visit lots of other places by car. If you are a family of 5 this is important due to costs.

If you fly to Sydney you could also visit Adelaide , which is popular or Melbourne, less so I think due to expensive housing/ poorer climate.

Why are you thinking of Perth?

We loved the Gold and Sunshine Coast, but then we are Beach people.

I am sure NZ is lovely, but as the climate is a main factor in us wanting to leave the Uk, we have not considered it. I want it temperate with less rain! I think NZ has warmer summers than us but the winters are not too good and it rains too much for my liking.

It is difficult when you can choose from so many areas, I am sure once you visit you will have more of an idea.

Tina
Old Jan 17th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

i'd love to hear more from those who lived in both. how do they compare in terms of attitude of the people towards work, poms, the whole alcohol culture etc that seems to be a large downside to living in oz if some are to be believed. also how do they compare in general terms for standard of living if that can be quantified.

it seems to me sometimes (although i've maybe been over-exposed to biased opinion of late) that there are less unhappy Brits in NZ than OZ and wondered is it an easier country to settle into, make friends in etc.? i would appreciate some debate on this-no that's maybe the wrong word!!

sorry if that's a muddled question!!

thanks anyway
Old Jan 17th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We went to Adelaide in 1991 for 3 months we drove all the way to Great Barrier reef and went to Sydney,Brisbane,Melbourne
Canbarra. Xmas 2001 we went back to Adelaide (as brother lives their) for 1 month it was cold and wet.
In Oct 2002 we went to Coffs Harbour it is between Sydney
and Brisbane. We have decided to start here and if it don't work out we will make our way down to Adelaide
We have friends who are going to NZ in two weeks time for 1 month to look around with a view of emirgrating there so I will let you know how they get on.
The best thing to do is hire a car and take your time and have a good look around.
Sue
Old Jan 17th 2003, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sue and jajpe
Sue: jayne and I would be really interested in hearing your friends views on her return from NZ.
Jajpe your comments on unhappy people in Aus does ring a bell, I noticed a posting re NZ that had no replies , I assumed it was because all the people in NZ who could have replied were in fact too busy/happy to bother! Okay a huge exageration but makes you think.
I can see the point of genuine people trying to show 'how it really is', but some posts are a bit over the top. This is I suppose request from someone who wants holiday advice with a view to possible emigration at a later date. I'm sure there must be loads of people in the same boat. If nothing comes of the emigration side for whatever reason, at least we will have had the best planned and well informed holiday!
It really is each to his own, some people stated that they have sold up, bought a house via the internet, sight unseen, and are doing very well(Ian dury line), we are not that brave. A look/see is vital for us.
Hope to keep in touch, by the way, when is the Sandown thing? Lost the web address, can you help?
Lee
Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hi lee,
we are going to nz in april for a fact finding holiday so i will be able to tell you more about what IT is really like then. we have planned to fly into christchurch, use it as a base for south island, and then make our way north via wellington, lake taupo and auckland before home.
we think christchurch is where we would like best from all we have read/heard but are trying to keep an open mind and are willing to be persuaded otherwise.
we have never really considered australia but we have good friends who are considering both. i'm sorry i can't help you further but maybe you'll get more informitive replies.
all the best with your decision
Old Jan 18th 2003, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
When they come back I will get them to give you there opinion on NZ.
They are going with the view to live there for 1 year and then go to Oz for 1 year deciding which one they choose to live.
Sue
Old Jan 18th 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

for info about nz - i've just spent half an hour on www.emigratenz.org and it is really packed full of useful stuff. the link was from the british expats homepage so you may have been there already.

anyway thought it was worth reccomending
Old Jan 18th 2003, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hi
We hired a 7 seater people carrier - like the Toyota Previa. It gave us loads of room for suitcases etc plus 3 children and it meant no squabbling as there are 3 rows of seats. It cost around £100 more for 3 weeks hire than a normal car, so was well worth it. We booked it before we went over the net and picked it up at Syd airport.

Accomodation we searched for holiday apartments and rented a 2bed for a week for around$300 it was excellent, near Surfers and it had a pool. Called Diamond Sands resort

Try www.Needitnow.com.au for hotels about 2 weeks before you go, we booked $300 a night hotels for around$100, all done over the net and we stayed in some swanky places for about £30 a night! We also went to an internet cafe out there and booked rooms as you can only book a few weeks in advance to get the lowest prices.
You can stop off on route but you get a much better deal on top hotels using Need it now site.

Enjoy your researching
Old Jan 18th 2003, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Great site, thanks Tina!

Mash...
Originally posted by tinaj
Hi

Try www.Needitnow.com.au for hotels about 2 weeks before you go, we booked $300 a night hotels for around$100, all done over the net and we stayed in some swanky places for about £30 a night! Enjoy your researching
Old Jan 21st 2003, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new zealand

Hiya

I am a kiwi who has just come back from 3 years in sydney.

Aussies do like their Pommie-bashing. But then again, they like their Kiwi-bashing as well! Sydney was fun, gr8 beaches & weather, but is getting overcrowded & very expensive now.

But don't worry, Kiwis are alot more friendly than Aussies are and we like Poms. All the Poms I have met have been good value. So you'll be welcome in NZ.....we like to chat about the English Premier league too!

Highlights of visiting NZ are: best scenery you can imagine, friendly people, lots of fun things to do (bungy, jetboats etc),
cheap with ur pounds compared to the NZD, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Wellington has lots of attractions, Rotorua, Bay of Islands, Auckland etc

Here's a gr8 site
http://www.purenz.com/
you can even plan ur driving route on this site.

All the best

Geoff