Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Highly likely to kick off tonight around Lakemba railway station, anti government protest organised by local radical muslims.

Hopefully it wont amount to anything.

Although there are figures of 3,000 people possibly attending.
They should be protesting. They should be protesting about all the bad apples in their choice of religion who use their religion as an excuse to terrorise.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
They should be protesting. They should be protesting about all the bad apples in their choice of religion who use their religion as an excuse to terrorise.
Yep. The best people to sort out muslim assholes are other muslims
Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. The best people to sort out muslim assholes are other muslims
Guess what .... It was about police raiding the houses of muslims. Well well well. Again it all drags back down to the lows of religion.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Guess what .... It was about police raiding the houses of muslims. Well well well. Again it all drags back down to the lows of religion.
Basically we need to hear from locals in Western Sydney before totally condeming, just in case it is an issue.

1 arrest out of 15 would seem to those involved as over the top, the local community would know better though.

It pays to keep an open mind when it comes to the authorities justyfing their actions. Especially when the stakes are so high. If they get it badly wrong they could be causing more harm than good.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Basically we need to hear from locals in Western Sydney before totally condeming, just in case it is an issue.

1 arrest out of 15 would seem to those involved as over the top, the local community would know better though.

It pays to keep an open mind when it comes to the authorities justyfing their actions. Especially when the stakes are so high. If they get it badly wrong they could be causing more harm than good.
News this morning says 4 arrests.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The raids were not in a local community. They were right across Sydney. Some in Brisbane. If the police haven't acted within their powers or the law then I'm sure we will find out.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

1 guy charged with conspiring to plan a terrorist act
1 guy now charged with unauthorised weapon
9 people released
2 woman given court attendence notices
2 others still under investiagtion

Seems a good use of 800 police officers.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
1 guy charged with conspiring to plan a terrorist act
1 guy now charged with unauthorised weapon
9 people released
2 woman given court attendence notices
2 others still under investiagtion

Seems a good use of 800 police officers.
I wouldn't jump to a statistical conclusion the day after a raid. You might want to give it some weeks to analysis whether the force was proportional.

I would also add, if 800 cops is what it took to prevent what they are saying is the beheading of a member of the public in Martin Place, then you decide if 800 cops is worth one life. If one life had been taken I'm sure the aftermarth, raids, courts, jail time, etc, etc would have involved more than 800 people. Take a look at the case in London, where the soldier was slain. There would have been more than 800 people working scenes on the investigation, the court proceedings, etc.

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 19th 2014 at 1:17 am.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

We shall see what (if anything) comes out of it but from what we know at the moment it smacks of orchestrated theatre.

Media invited to all the action in advance; photos provided to the press; videos of the raids put on youtube by the police. All on the same day the brave boys get shipped out to Iraq. Even by Abbott standards the whole thing is spectacularly unsubtle.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We shall see what (if anything) comes out of it but from what we know at the moment it smacks of orchestrated theatre.

Media invited to all the action in advance; photos provided to the press; videos of the raids put on youtube by the police. All on the same day the brave boys get shipped out to Iraq. Even by Abbott standards the whole thing is spectacularly unsubtle.
Maybe right but governments everywhere, forever have used events like this to hide bad news, deflect attention or to promote themselves

For example, there's no doubt that the Falklands conflict helped the late, great Margaret Thatcher - and she milked it for all it was worth
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe right but governments everywhere, forever have used events like this to hide bad news, deflect attention or to promote themselves

For example, there's no doubt that the Falklands conflict helped the late, great Margaret Thatcher - and she milked it for all it was worth
I'd think (hope) that there was a bit more behind those few arrests, intelligence gathering etc. Maybe I'm just being naïve (not being a smart arse saying that, it's a genuine comment).

Just off to eat dog poo now, to get the nasty taste out of mouth brought on by seeing that MT thing's name.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

I agree. Where were all the coppers a few weeks ago when a bus of Jewish kids was threatened in broad daylight by drunken interlopers, and how many arrests were made?

The people who can best identify radicals in the Muslim community are Muslims themselves. This raid will not inspire confidence in the fairness of the authorities.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Are people in Australia generally worried about terrorism?

My wife and I are looking to emigrate for a number of reasons but one of them is due to the fear of terrorism in the UK.
Originally Posted by jad n rich
IMO you have summed it up to the tee. Spot on.

Whereas before it was look at us, it doesn't happen here, how smug are we.

Its changed, I have noticed an increase in the already not infrequent racist rants. Or the 'Australian way of life', or 'Un-Australian' comments, which always raise an eyebrow, how do they work out who is Australian?? Many Australians are third/fourth.., generation Chinese, Lebanese, Greek, Indian, Asian ........

Am I Australian?, I have a passport, citizenship, lived here since 2000. People still say where are you from? I admit I have not adopted the accent nor dress code but I always think this constant 'you'r not Australian comment' at the beginning of every new introduction would drive you crazy if you were a person of Colour.

There have been moments where Australian politicians are a Loose Cannon in International Situations requiring great diplomacy. The G20 in Brisbane worries me, its a big Situation to handle for Australia, let alone Brisbane, let alone at the Current time.

Probably the worse disaster will be the total collapse of traffic/transport, lots of fawning, the standard comments rolled out again, 'world class', and my favorite, How someone infamous for their Style, arrives and allegedly declares how they love Australan's fashion sense Or how Obama wishes to move to Australia. doesnt every celebrity who comes here

Will probably be fine, but interesting to watch, with some spectacuarly cringe worthy moments
I don't thing it is smugness - just that it has never happened and there is no sense of experience. Remember though that Australians have been to various theatres of war over the years.

It's only cringeworthy if you make it Jad - in your mind. As for this unAustralian thing - I think you create it yourself. I am clearly a Pom but noone points it out every 5 minutes.

I think it's a good thing that levels have been raised, we are certainly a target. I've been expecting it for some time. I remember in 2002 that were quite a few radio ads - that was the last time the threat level had been rasied.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 19th 2014 at 10:36 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of London about 12 years ago - after I got back from Sydney.
The IRA attacks seemed rather distant then (there is a generation who will not have remembered the bi-weekly evacuations of tube stations) it certainly was not the 80s or 90s.

I spotted an unattended bag on the train and asked people whose it was.
As noone answered, at the next stop I chucked it out onto the platform (it was one of the above ground stations on the Piccadilly line) and it fell on to the next track. I took the line the blast would be better outside than in a confined space.

There was then a look of astonishment from a passenger.
I said "This is London mate!" And the doors closed.

I forget what happened next but we all almost certainly went back to 'Tube mode' - staring straight ahead...
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

All this has made my daughter very anxious about travelling on public transport.

I distinctly remember being in London when all the bombings were going on in the 80's, and had just left one station (Baker Street?) when a bomb went off.

For me, a raised terror alert and a heavy police presence are a good thing. They would use large numbers and the element of "shock and awe" barging into a house in the small hours to prevent a suspect from being alert and prepared to defend him/herself, whether they were white, black, yellow, Christian, atheist or Muslim.

It says a lot that the protesters called them pigs and dogs and tried to say that they were abusing half naked women. Sorry, but they are responding to a perceived threat, and don't actually know what could be facing them behind the closed door. I'd rather they went in like that than pussyfooted around just to avoid injuring muslim sensibilities, and then have some jihadist set a bomb off or open fire on innocent public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.