Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost
It was his book 'A town like Alice' that caused me to first fall in love with Australia.

On the beach was a very sobering read.

I'd hate to see terrorists making a point, as I believe they did in USA on September 11, here.

I recall that day very graphically. I rang my sister (at her work place) to tell her what I was seeing on the news in UK and she thought I was suffering the after effects of the anaesthetic I'd had for a recent surgery.

I remember, way back, going to London to find that there were no litter bins, or post boxes. Then maybe a couple of years later, seeing soldiers in full camouflage in the streets of Warren Point when I was there to attend a wedding.

MG
A Town Like Alice was based on my great uncle's wartime experience. Shute spent a lot of time with him and his family on many occasions on his trips to Australia.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Actually not true. the West has proved selective in the stopping of genocide. Rwanda nothing was done. Cambodia. Marsh Arabs in Iraq. Kurds. In fact some interventions have greatly increased the loss of life, Vietnam being a prime example. The carpet bombing of Laos did little to increase lifespans neither Cambodia, in both countries rural folk die till this day from unexploded bombs.

Normally there are economic or geo political reasons for intervention. No unlikely to beat ISIS on the battle field as with all such conflicts the winning comes from winning the hearts and minds.

What is more likely is an on going struggle lasting generations with a heavy cost in finance and threats to global nationals and cities.
I can't argue with that, in fact I agree with most of it. I was being general in my response but with ISIS my concern is now an almost unilateral hatred of Muslims and that is a shame, by and large they are a peaceful people and with great family traditions. I am vehemently against all the 'ban the burka', 'stop building Mosque' crap thats being spouted by some.
But I do think a response is needed, if it were me I would send in a crack SAS team, grab those fun seeking Australian and UK 'martyrs' and bring them back and then let them face the wrath of prison....and all the sexual joys it would bring!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
A Town Like Alice was based on my great uncle's wartime experience. Shute spent a lot of time with him and his family on many occasions on his trips to Australia.
Really? Wow, thanks for that, its a book which made a great impression on me as a youngster.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Really? Wow, thanks for that, its a book which made a great impression on me as a youngster.
Glad you liked it, I remember the first time I realised he had a book and movie based on his life, I was about four and looking through the newspaper and I saw his photo and said "hey mum, old Jimmy's in the paper" and she told me the story. The movie shows his last request before they shot him to be "a bottle of beer", the family story goes that he asked for a bottle of Australian beer, knowing that the Japanese couldn't get it and wouldn't kill him without granting him his final request - don't know who true it was - my grandfather and all his brothers were capable of spinning a pretty good yarn.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Glad you liked it, I remember the first time I realised he had a book and movie based on his life, I was about four and looking through the newspaper and I saw his photo and said "hey mum, old Jimmy's in the paper" and she told me the story. The movie shows his last request before they shot him to be "a bottle of beer", the family story goes that he asked for a bottle of Australian beer, knowing that the Japanese couldn't get it and wouldn't kill him without granting him his final request - don't know who true it was - my grandfather and all his brothers were capable of spinning a pretty good yarn.
Sounds good I adored the book, used to read my Dad's version which was in a Readers Digest book of condensed books until one day I found a 'real' copy in a jumble sale
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:18 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Terror raids carried out across Sydney

I hope the ASIO are working very very hard.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Could be some real problems in Sydney coming later today !

I bloody hope not, this could break out.

Are some sections really going to protest these raids ?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

These raids are getting a fair amount of coverage here. You have to factor in the bogan/redneck element that would kick off if these radicals did carry out an attack. With a high up IS member being an Aussie no doubt he would be keen to 'impress'.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
These raids are getting a fair amount of coverage here. You have to factor in the bogan/redneck element that would kick off if these radicals did carry out an attack. With a high up IS member being an Aussie no doubt he would be keen to 'impress'.
Highly likely to kick off tonight around Lakemba railway station, anti government protest organised by local radical muslims.

Hopefully it wont amount to anything.

Although there are figures of 3,000 people possibly attending.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The dont need an excuse to kick off around there and that includes both 'sides'.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
The dont need an excuse to kick off around there and that includes both 'sides'.

Exactly, and thats why I'm concerned.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

15 arrested, only 1 charged. Sounds about right
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:55 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Cronulla Riots, remember?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Cronulla Riots, remember?
Yehp sure do, go down and have a butchers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.