Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Australians boring?

Are Australians boring?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:55 am
Just Joined

chochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to all
Default Re: Are Australians boring?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
BTW - to add balance - yes I think Australian suburbanites can be conformist and perhaps 'boring' - but I can't be sure they are any worse than their direct UK equivalent.
Agreed. I find Aussies NOT from any of the major cities to be much, much more interesting. Sydneysiders by and large tend to be the most boring Australians. Suburban to the core but with a faux 'big city' arrogance.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chochobnob
Agreed. I find Aussies NOT from any of the major cities to be much, much more interesting. Sydneysiders by and large tend to be the most boring Australians. Suburban to the core but with a faux 'big city' arrogance.
I think I can identify a common, and fair, strand that suburban Australians are not very interesting because they live in very, very, large suburbs of what is not infact, a very huge city by other cities in the world. Does Melbourne fair any better? All of a sudden we open the Melb vs Sydney debate...But I think we can make allowances for others who might be interesting...

Personally I find people from outside the cities to be not that interesting unless they are from the professional classes or farmers. I live semi-rural, on the edge of Melbourne in a village, neither city nor country - but am employable professionally in a city. I could not live in a country town. I could certainly not live in anything resembling a suburb unless it was within 6k of Melbourne - so really I get a bit of everything - which is not boring.

Australia is very much country(outback, town) vs city (suburb and established).

I think the average UK person probably is a tad less conformist (and more interesting) than the average Australian but then anyone could look down on average.

...where discussion of this gets interesting though is exactly what people class as boring and what their tastes are... and what sort of people they are - because I can identify all sorts of streams..from BE.. that over the years are very much contradictory!

eg

That Aussies are insular. Big country, small population.
That people say that country Australians are even more insular as a result.
Small town mentality. 'Never left Queensland'.

By the very fact, others say that people in cities, and (indeed, closer to the city centre and this is known to be vertually a fact in Australia), tend to be more 'sophisticated' and this is where the culture is ('I wish I lived in Melbourne and not Perth'; 'Stay close in'). Others - who tend to live in country towns (who are not disadvantaged or deprived of culture or infrastructure) say they have rewarding and superior lives.

Then we have people debating what is a city - like 'London is, Melbourne is not' - is that because one is a true world city, and one is not etc even though one might be still distinctly liveable.

So what is it? I can't say.

This is why this one will run and run and run...
...which is why I can't say that Australians are more boring or that there are no characters...

I can say though there are a multitude of people who will never meet interesting Australians and I think this is part of the problem.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I find people from outside the cities to be not that interesting unless they are from the professional classes or farmers. I live semi-rural, on the edge of Melbourne in a village, neither city nor country - but am employable professionally in a city. I could not live in a country town. I could certainly not live in anything resembling a suburb unless it was within 6k of Melbourne - so really I get a bit of everything - which is not boring.
Dropped a clanger there - it's not that I don't find country people interesting - far from it - it's just that I couldn't live in their town with everyone else (and get bored)! Make sense?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The huge difference for me is that I can easily live in rural England but no way in the world could I live in truly rural Australia, it would be purgatory to be honest. I could live semi rural as we would still have easy access to major centres. To me somewhere like Canungra on the GC hinterland would be great but not much further out than that. They have great pies in Canungra, not in the pie shop that says they have the best pies in the world but the cafe opposite
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

In Glasgow you'll either meet the funniet/coolest guy in the world or someone who'll kill you

In Brisbane you'll generally meet the most average person known to man
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:59 am
Just Joined

chochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bingobob777
In Glasgow you'll either meet the funniet/coolest guy in the world or someone who'll kill you

That's frigging funny!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've met some extremely funny/cool guys in Brisbane too ....they aren't Aussies though
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:10 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The huge difference for me is that I can easily live in rural England but no way in the world could I live in truly rural Australia, it would be purgatory to be honest. I could live semi rural as we would still have easy access to major centres. To me somewhere like Canungra on the GC hinterland would be great but not much further out than that. They have great pies in Canungra, not in the pie shop that says they have the best pies in the world but the cafe opposite

Best pies in the world, or the best pies in the southern hemisphere?

S
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would much rather live in the country in the UK than in the country in Australia. In the UK there is more access to a city or other things. I do however prefer Melbourne to Brummie or Mancester..and semi-rural Melbourne offers the best of both worlds and also ticks more boxes reliably than a UK country location.

I don't mind farm life in Australia - I adore facets of it - I like the interest and the challenge but I would not want to do it 24/7.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Best pies in the world, or the best pies in the southern hemisphere?

S
I just had a look on Google Maps streetview and the sign seems to have gone, maybe they got sick of the people laughing at them
The Outpost Cafe opposite have truly lovely pies, stuffed with meat.
The sign did say best in the world, we tried them and wondered where this world they were talking about was.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I would much rather live in the country in the UK than in the country in Australia. In the UK there is more access to a city or other things. I do however prefer Melbourne to Brummie or Mancester..and semi-rural Melbourne offers the best of both worlds and also ticks more boxes reliably than a UK country location.

I don't mind farm life in Australia - I adore facets of it - I like the interest and the challenge but I would not want to do it 24/7.
If you want a semi rural life in Australia the absolute best place is the Blue Mountains.

It is absolutely beautiful forested mountains with excellent bushwalking and pretty mountain villages. But so close to Sydney and has a very good rail network. It even occasionally snows from Katoomba to Lithgow, especially at Blackheath.

The problem is of course employment. If you want a decent paying job that is not tourism related you will be heading off the city very early in the morning.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, don't put yourself down, I'm sure you have some redeeming features.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

May be interesting people avoid you.
Originally Posted by itxrd
I've been here nearly 3 years. When I arrived maybe I was a bit naive but I expected aussies to be laid back, take it easy like attitude - a bit like crocodile Dundee

However what i have found is the opposite. There is so much red tape here, so many rules, they're pretty much all very law abiding. I mean the perfect place for families. But I have hardly met any 'characters'. I play football here so meet lots of people. Maybe its because we live in Sydney I don't know but I have to say compared to people back in the Uk the people here seem pretty boring.

Know its politically incorrect nowadays to generalise but I'm not with the pc brigade.

So what do you guys think??
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I love Canungra, except for the heat in summer. Being away from the office environment probably means we meet a much wider variety of people - some can be boring but most are absolutely not. My sense of humour seems to be appreciated and practically all our friends are Aussie and include farmers, artists, scientists, engineers, gardeners, teachers. Only generalisation I might make is that the older ones are more relaxed, less self-conscious and funnier.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 11:20 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
I love Canungra, except for the heat in summer. Being away from the office environment probably means we meet a much wider variety of people - some can be boring but most are absolutely not. My sense of humour seems to be appreciated and practically all our friends are Aussie and include farmers, artists, scientists, engineers, gardeners, teachers. Only generalisation I might make is that the older ones are more relaxed, less self-conscious and funnier.
That has my vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.