Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Australians boring?

Are Australians boring?

Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Are Australians boring?

I've been here nearly 3 years. When I arrived maybe I was a bit naive but I expected aussies to be laid back, take it easy like attitude - a bit like crocodile Dundee

However what i have found is the opposite. There is so much red tape here, so many rules, they're pretty much all very law abiding. I mean the perfect place for families. But I have hardly met any 'characters'. I play football here so meet lots of people. Maybe its because we live in Sydney I don't know but I have to say compared to people back in the Uk the people here seem pretty boring.

Know its politically incorrect nowadays to generalise but I'm not with the pc brigade.

So what do you guys think??
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Australians boring?

That's all very odd... Australian mates ALL think us poms wear flannels and blazers and straw boaters and drink Pims with a slice of cucumber floating in it whilst cheering hooray at our loosing teams.....

As for finding Aussies boring? no... But then I suppose birds of a feather flock together and all that jazz
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:29 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my experience, no. However, I think there is a conspiracy to rid the world of characters. They do seem few and far between these days.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
I've been here nearly 3 years. When I arrived maybe I was a bit naive but I expected aussies to be laid back, take it easy like attitude - a bit like crocodile Dundee

However what i have found is the opposite. There is so much red tape here, so many rules, they're pretty much all very law abiding. I mean the perfect place for families. But I have hardly met any 'characters'. I play football here so meet lots of people. Maybe its because we live in Sydney I don't know but I have to say compared to people back in the Uk the people here seem pretty boring.

Know its politically incorrect nowadays to generalise but I'm not with the pc brigade.

pretty much spot on
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Come to the NT - its all laid back attitudes here with loads of local characters x
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

This depends on whether you are talking about the ability of Australians to inspire or interest ...or to legislate in the workplace, or to live up to myth and lore. Both can exist, of course.

It's not the case that all Australians live outback and walk around in flannos...so this is a myth people have to drop 'fraid.. and in fact, the sooner people realise this the better. (Having said that, I have spent time out in the country and there are many saving graces providing you stay away from the dross!..) But many suburban Australians do the same old stuff that people do the world over..and I would find that boring.

(I would find it boring playing football...and I would not want to meet characters that way...!) I've met some interesting people through singing..

Massive caveat..watchword of caution: Australian society is generally conformist. Australian society is suburban. I thnk this is the main issue for many expats. I have gone on record before as saying that this can be a bad thing and a good thing - I find British people can be very cocky and bolshy which I don't like either.

I believe you need to find people that you are compatible with. Once you get out of those parameters, Australians are fine. We are lucky in that we seem to have met a core of interesting people.

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Not in my experience, no. However, I think there is a conspiracy to rid the world of characters. They do seem few and far between these days.
I see where you are coming from. I could create a controversy by saying that much of society is 'boring'. If you were an ex copper/solider/ high flying exec then you would find many people 'boring'. You just have to engage with the right people.

One of the things I will say is that as I have got older - and started a family, people get career focused and family-focused. I know plenty of people who are not setting the world alight due to being at that stage of their lives. They're too busy crawling into bed after a sleepless night with a baby to be rivetting...or working. So it depends on what you do with your time off..

I thank my lucky stars I avoided suburbia...(or equivalent), here or in the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Come to the NT - its all laid back attitudes here with loads of local characters x
Here's the thing -there are plenty of characters out back - but is the average Brit migrant going to find them interesting once the novelty wears off.

a flanno wearing abalone fisherman can't compete with the riveting reality of Next or Sainsbury....

I find that most of the 'characters' I meet out in the rural areas of Australia are not so different to myself so I don't have any thing to complain about.
But I would probably get bored with a small town if half the people had barely left to go to school elsewhere.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

fromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nicefromthetoon is just really nice

I would suggest get out of Sydney. The NSW boys are definitely, in my experience, more serrious than QLD's. I have many great Aussie friends who are a good laugh but are more mature than me despite being 10 years younger!!
Love Australia
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Yes perhaps a little naive........comfortable comformity is the name of the game here.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Are Australians boring?

No. Boredom is a subjective experience. It is your own brain that is boring you.

You should dig a little deeper. Most people need relationships, control over their lives, a bit of challenge at home/work (that they can cope with). Probably you are missing one of these in Australia - but don't blame Australians!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 2:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been at a dinner with a heap of Australians. Geologists, teachers and many other professions. Fantastic night, couple of poms who were also lovely. Keep looking.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I think you might be looking for 'alternative' types of people and that just isn't Australia. This country has maintained a strong sense of peace and stability by being very uniform and having a culture of conformity - this is good as it massively reduces social conflict.

I have lived in places where there are lots of prominent 'sub groups' and all it does is create division and conflict. I prefer a society of sameness and certainty.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:37 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

See inline in RED

I've been here nearly 3 years. When I arrived maybe I was a bit naive but I expected aussies to be laid back, take it easy like attitude - a bit like crocodile Dundee You will rarely see any of these characters in any of the capital cities. Maybe some country towns and definately in some 'all belong to the same family tree' outback villages.

However what i have found is the opposite. There is so much red tape here, so many rules, they're pretty much all very law abiding.
Red tape yes, so many rules yes, law abiding....hmmmmm. There is an overbearing culture of bureaucracy here, just like many other countries now, but my biggest frustration is that the rules change so often that the poor guys at the desks and phones don't know what they are and have to fight off enraged customers (mea culpe!!) asking for a simple request but getting 4 or 5 different answers due to the inconsistencies.
I mean the perfect place for families. But I have hardly met any 'characters'. I play football here so meet lots of people. Maybe its because we live in Sydney I don't know but I have to say compared to people back in the Uk the people here seem pretty boring.
I don't think its a Sydney thing. One of the banal things I miss about the UK is a few drinks midweek or Sunday/Saturday with my mates watching football and having some good banter in the pub. That doesn't exist here. RSL's are huge soulless places and decent 'pubs' are very few and far between and their culture in that respect is very different to the UK.
Know its politically incorrect nowadays to generalise but I'm not with the pc brigade. Aren't you being PC by saying that??

Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:39 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Australian society is suburban. I thnk this is the main issue for many expats. I have gone on record before as saying that this can be a bad thing and a good thing - I find British people can be very cocky and bolshy which I don't like either.
One of the things I will say is that as I have got older - and started a family, people get career focused and family-focused. I know plenty of people who are not setting the world alight due to being at that stage of their lives. They're too busy crawling into bed after a sleepless night with a baby to be rivetting...or working. So it depends on what you do with your time off..
Spot on, my experience as well.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I've just been at a dinner with a heap of Australians. Geologists, teachers and many other professions. Fantastic night, couple of poms who were also lovely. Keep looking.
I don't feel the post refers to what folk do or that people can't be met. Just so many march to the same or similar drum beat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.