Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Work Ethic

Australian Work Ethic

Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Talking Australian Work Ethic

Is this what lines the corridors of Aussie companies??

http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by galloping gaijin; Jun 6th 2006 at 1:31 am.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Work Ethic

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin

I sometimes wonder how the hell Australia became so wealthy.

My experience with Australian companies - superann, suppliers, Auspost, energy companies, Telstra - has been so dire that I just can't understand how they can be organised enough to actually make any money.

Regulated markets is surely one reason.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

My experience with Australian companies - superann, suppliers, Auspost, energy companies, Telstra - has been so dire that I just can't understand how they can be organised enough to actually make any money.

Just think how depressing it is for some of us who are struggling to even be employed by these fools
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in my experience you could just replace "Australian" with "British".
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian Work Ethic

Yeah, we used to have that one on our wall - right next to this one:

Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:46 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

F**K you are totally at the right point....
I always scrach my head in anguish and great awe
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Most Aussies can't spell procraz..., procras..., procrasss...strewth...putting stuff off.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian Work Ethic

When you see a thread with an oxymoronic title, you just *have* to take a look, doncha?

<bg>
Old Jun 6th 2006, 1:30 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
When you see a thread with an oxymoronic title, you just *have* to take a look, doncha?

<bg>
What's a zit cream got to do with the title?

As for how they are so rich, they dig it all out of the ground and do bugger all with it and just sell it all to the Chinese. The Chinese who actually do know what the phrase "work ethic" means then process it into higher priced goods and sell it all on to the 'developed' nations. Then use all the billions in profits to actually bank roll America. China sure knows how to play the long game, no need to ever invade America they will effectively own it soon!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian Work Ethic

Superannuation isn't regulated; energy isn't regulated; the airline industry isn't deregulated.

Etc., etc.

So which regulated markets did you have in mind?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Australian Work Ethic

Originally Posted by arkon
As for how they are so rich, they dig it all out of the ground and do bugger all with it and just sell it all to the Chinese.
Wrong, as usual.

Our largest export partner is actually Japan, which takes more than double the exports we send to China.

Our smallest export partner is the UK - probably because she has no manufacturing industry and is therefore incapable of doing even "bugger all" with the exports we supply.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Superannuation isn't regulated; energy isn't regulated; the airline industry isn't deregulated.

Etc., etc.

So which regulated markets did you have in mind?

I assume that you meant the airline industry IS regulated? Unless the recent complaints from Australian airports about the govt restricting the rights of international carriers to land in Aus (and thereby restricting tourism growth)didn't happen. (Or the preferential treatment that Qantas has on landing slots. Or the recent govt report stating that Qanats needed to be treated differently (that link is posted on this site somewhere) Or the purchasing of a Singapore low cost carrier (Valuair) by Jetstar and the subsequent removal of Valuair's services to Perth. Jetstar owned by Quantas, majority owned by - you guessed it - the government))

Energy - you think that you can just start supplying the WA (or Australian) energy grid do you? Get your own power station and chug away into the high voltage overheads?

Lets go on....licences for selling newspapers - you can't just open your own newsagents here in Australia you know. Nope, all tightly controlled.

Telstra - allowed to control use of its infrastructure, not brought to book about overcharging suppliers (because of upcoming sale of govt investment perhaps?).

There are enough licences necessary to operate businesses in Australia to ensure that many, many markets are essentially regulated. And those markets which aren't officially regulated often have huge financial and technological barriers to entry that they are essentially carve-ups. This, coupled with a weak ombudsman allows rip-offs and poor service - a la the banks.

Enough examples?

I'll credit you with the superannuation one.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Oz *has* to be by far the most over-regulated yet least *managed* country in the world.

For God's sake, where else would you be prohibited from installing a new tap in your own home? Or a ceiling fan?

Having said that I think I saw that the UK is going down the same road - probably courtesy of our friends the EU.

Part of the reason things are so expensive here and building is of such poor quality is that you are effectively at the mercy of tradesmen who have little incentive to improve - the government makes it obligatory to employ them regardless.

(Generalising of course, as usual <g>)
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Oz *has* to be by far the most over-regulated yet least *managed* country in the world.

For God's sake, where else would you be prohibited from installing a new tap in your own home? Or a ceiling fan?

Having said that I think I saw that the UK is going down the same road - probably courtesy of our friends the EU.

Part of the reason things are so expensive here and building is of such poor quality is that you are effectively at the mercy of tradesmen who have little incentive to improve - the government makes it obligatory to employ them regardless.

(Generalising of course, as usual <g>)
Want to change a plug? No chance – bring in the electrician.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:41 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had a phone call from a furniture shop. 4 months ago I ordered a small display table, and was told it would take 3 weeks. Its finally ready!

Things do get done here, just verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly. It took 7 months to get the final plumbing approval for our house. In his own words, the builder was "too lazy" to get it sorted.

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.