Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Security Clearance - advice needed

Australian Security Clearance - advice needed

Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:49 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Question Australian Security Clearance - advice needed

I'm looking at moving to Oz on completion of my 22 in the RN. The natural industry to look for work in is Defence however, every job I've seen so far states that you need to be an Australian Citizen (4 year wait ) to get a Ssecurity Clearance. My questions are:

1. How strict are the companies on this requirement?

2. How strictly is the citizenship rule applied when requesting a Security Clearance?

3. Is it possible to transfer my UK Secret and TS clearance whilst waiting to be eligible for an Australian clearance?

I know clearances gain be gained for serving personnel eg allowing RAN personnel to view NATO/UK Secret info but not sure if it applies to civvies!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

vmt mick
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Security Clearance - advice needed

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
I'm looking at moving to Oz on completion of my 22 in the RN. The natural industry to look for work in is Defence however, every job I've seen so far states that you need to be an Australian Citizen (4 year wait ) to get a Ssecurity Clearance. My questions are:

2. How strictly is the citizenship rule applied when requesting a Security Clearance?

3. Is it possible to transfer my UK Secret and TS clearance whilst waiting to be eligible for an Australian clearance?

I know clearances gain be gained for serving personnel eg allowing RAN personnel to view NATO/UK Secret info but not sure if it applies to civvies!!

vmt mick
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646251 will give you a few pointers
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:21 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Pollyanna

Kind of what I expected in general. I do know however, of UK companies looking to send staff over to install systems on RAN ships.

Options open and would actually prefer to join RAN, love the navy lifestyle hate the UK weather

just wait for visa and time done
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

vmt mick
Speaking from personal experience the answer was a simple NO. Citizenship was a must before I would even be considered for that level of clearance again here in Oz.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:06 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Speaking from personal experience the answer was a simple NO. Citizenship was a must before I would even be considered for that level of clearance again here in Oz.
bugger

cheers for the info
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

When we first arrived in Australia (SA) a huge defence contract came up that was right up my hubby street, 24 years in the RN. Unfortunately it didnt matter that he had all the experience needed and more, because we werent citizens he didint even get past the telephone conversation stage!!!
Old May 1st 2010, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

Have a look at the Wiki, no one has added any more info since I did Australian_Defence_Clearance

I think that should make it all clear as I can.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:40 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by steve_and_gill
Have a look at the Wiki, no one has added any more info since I did Australian_Defence_Clearance

I think that should make it all clear as I can.
Cheers
Had already considered the reserve route and agree that 6 months after leaving, which would include final visa processing, is a bit short for finding a decent defence job

back to greasing up the contractors at work who are looking to expand into Oz
Old May 1st 2010, 10:42 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

vmt mick
Same in the Federal Police, you have to be a citizen to get any sort of security clearance, they won't look at you if you are not an Ozzi.