Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

settling in took 2 years

settling in took 2 years

Old May 1st 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Dal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to allDal3 is a name known to all
Default settling in took 2 years

Hi

some of you amy recall some really depressing posts I made over 2 years ago when I was having real issues with settling in, firstly BIG THANKS all as this forum was my life and really helped me keep going.

Now coming up to 3 years in August and yes even I can say I am totally settled and soo glad I didn't go back, will be visiting UK for the first time in December and finally feel OK with doing this without having the urge to want to go back. It took virtually 2 years to the day when I sat and thought yes I am settled and yes this was the right thing to do.

So anyone out there thinking what have we done, for me the 2 year mark was a real turning point as we had done all the house move, settling in stuff and were no longer busy and pre occupied and sat and thought was this the right thing, and didn't want to cry everytime I think of home. Still call UK home but no longer have the horrible sick feeling and emotional attachment I had the first 2 years of being here.

Just thought I would share this as never thought in a thousand years I would say and think like this.
</IMG>
Old May 1st 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: settling in took 2 years

Well done, we came over at exactly the same time and love it too.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:49 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Comming up to 2 years for me and i still think Aus is rather tinpot to be honest.
Old May 1st 2010, 1:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Comming up to 2 years for me and i still think Aus is rather tinpot to be honest.
I happen to agree with you for various reasons and 5 years on I still feel the same way. I'm not sure that I will ever be "settled" anywhere, such is the nature of the wanderlust I suspect of a married couple with no children.

Australia is not all I would like it to be and but neither was the UK.

However, that said I feel Australia is best for my wife and I for the foreseeable future given world economics, the challenges faced with global mass migration, global climate and the boogey man.

Purely a subjective opinion you understand.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say this but I feel the same way - and thats coming up to seven years......
Old May 1st 2010, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

4 years here and I dont feel settled, it took me about 1 year to stop having feelings of homesickness a lot. Now though I look around and the place just doesnt feel like home and I dont click with the people, I have spoke to people who have been here 20years+ and they all seem to say get out while you can!
Old May 1st 2010, 7:54 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I reckon even when people say they are settled on this forum they are probably not.

I mean if I was settled somewhere I wouldn't hang out on a forum about moving abroad.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:35 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
I reckon even when people say they are settled on this forum they are probably not.

I mean if I was settled somewhere I wouldn't hang out on a forum about moving abroad.
A lot of good info on here though does come from people who are settled - and I know several of them personally so can vouch for it! Without them we wouldn't get such a balanced view of things. Also a lot of people do post from work which is a bit differet from hanging around on here every hour of the day (I'm guilty as charged on that one!)
Old May 1st 2010, 9:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: settling in took 2 years

Bollocks.

I was settled shortly before the plane's wheels touched the ground, have never felt unsettled since and still hang out on a forum about moving abroad. Mind you I also hang out on a number of other forums depending on what I'm doing at the time.

There's a number of us here in the same boat - Badgeisback, Martin Luther, JonD and Hutch spring to mind.

Buzzy
Old May 1st 2010, 11:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish. I was settled as soon as we arrived, as were the rest of my family. I choose to spend time on a few expat forums, as well as others. I also choose to spend time with friends out and about. Just because you don't think it's something you would do, doesn't mean the rest of us very settled people are lying.

Who knows, one day we may move back or onward somewhere else, never say never but for now and for the foreseeable future this is home and we are very happy to be here.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I would disagree to the extent that whilst people tend to gyrate toward the forum on that basis initially it becomes more about a simple advice forum about expat living after people have migrated.

The amount of times that I've posted for help on certain subjects and got some pretty decent leads or answers makes this more than just a forum about moving abroad. It's more about an expat community with a common point of reference (the UK for 99% of us).

After all, how would we all know the best curry houses in Australia without BE ?
Old May 1st 2010, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I would disagree to the extent that whilst people tend to gyrate toward the forum on that basis initially it becomes more about a simple advice forum about expat living after people have migrated.

The amount of times that I've posted for help on certain subjects and got some pretty decent leads or answers makes this more than just a forum about moving abroad. It's more about an expat community with a common point of reference (the UK for 99% of us).

After all, how would we all know the best curry houses in Australia without BE ?
Also it's a way of staying in touch with people. I've got friends around the world through BE and it's an easy way of staying in touch. As you say, it's not all about migrating.
Old May 1st 2010, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Also it's a way of staying in touch with people. I've got friends around the world through BE and it's an easy way of staying in touch. As you say, it's not all about migrating.
Too right, where would we be without the friends we have all made and keep in touch with through BE
Old May 1st 2010, 8:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Rubbish. I was settled as soon as we arrived, as were the rest of my family. I choose to spend time on a few expat forums, as well as others. I also choose to spend time with friends out and about. Just because you don't think it's something you would do, doesn't mean the rest of us very settled people are lying.

Who knows, one day we may move back or onward somewhere else, never say never but for now and for the foreseeable future this is home and we are very happy to be here.
Those are my thoughts and sentiments exactly!

I only come here to be entertained

Fortunately for me, my home (and heart) is wherever the OH and kids are. At the moment, that's in Australia. I would never be so foolish as to try and predict where life will take us, but we're extremely happy to be living here.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:39 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

12 years in... and although it took me a while to really bed down my opinions I've reached the conclusion that Australia is absolutely 'tinpot'.

Having said that - its where I live and the logistics and costs of trying an intercontinental move with a family of 4 are sufficient for me to be resigned to the idea of staying put.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.