Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:40 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Quick question:

Is there an Australian equivalent to OFSTED? Is there a government organisation that inspects/rates state schools similar to the OFSTED agency here in the U.K?

Cheers,

MJ
Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Originally Posted by mjj
Quick question:

Is there an Australian equivalent to OFSTED? Is there a government organisation that inspects/rates state schools similar to the OFSTED agency here in the U.K?

Cheers,

MJ
Short answer - no
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Originally Posted by WendyC
Short answer - no
Correct. Each state tends to have its own assessment structure, and there are a number of non-government bodies (including some non-profit organisations) which assess and measure schools through a variety of methods.

For example, the Australasian School Competitions (run by an Australian independent body) regularly assess up to 1.7 million students from the following countries: Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Brunei, Papua New Guinea, China, Fiji, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa and Vanuatu.

If you are home-schooling, you will be periodically visited by a representative from the state education department, to ensure that you are providing a standard of education which meets the state government requirements.

Wikipedia has an excellent overview of the Australian education system, available here.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 6th 2006 at 9:20 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer - no
Woohoo! we are 'expecting' ofsted at school any time soon... but this will be my last one (visa pending)

Lisa.xx
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
Woohoo! we are 'expecting' ofsted at school any time soon... but this will be my last one (visa pending)

Lisa.xx
I never read the reports from OFSTED

My son attends a really good school according to OFSTED but he brings home some stupid homework that my 5 year old could do, he's 13 !!!

Whatever happened to homework books all they seem to get is worksheets
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

My son attends a really good school according to OFSTED but he brings home some stupid homework that my 5 year old could do, he's 13 !!!

Thing with Ofsted is they only show a snapshot of a particular school on a particular day. Thankfully (in my opinion) the system has recently changed.

Lisa.xx
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

My missus is a schoolteacher; I'm beginning to understand why she's not exactly dead keen on OFSTED herself!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:58 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Homework books are too expensive. Mind you, at the school I work at, there is no money to produce worksheets, so homework often consists of things like "Watch something on the news about...", "Revise for this test..." or "Think about this subject..."

In my opinion, Ofsted reports don't give the whole picture. I have worked in a range of different schools, some good, some bad, and the Ofsted reports offer little or no real insight into the functioning of the school. My school has no money for anything - to prepare resources, replace broken or faulty equipment and to upgrade out of date or destroyed text books. However, in the recent Ofsted inspection, the place received a 'satisfactory' grading. Is this the sort of place any sane parent would wish to send their child?

Many Ofsted decisions are politically motivated, and have little or no reflection on the professionalism and commitment of the teachers that work at a school.

S
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Homework books are too expensive. Mind you, at the school I work at, there is no money to produce worksheets, so homework often consists of things like "Watch something on the news about...", "Revise for this test..." or "Think about this subject..."

In my opinion, Ofsted reports don't give the whole picture. I have worked in a range of different schools, some good, some bad, and the Ofsted reports offer little or no real insight into the functioning of the school. My school has no money for anything - to prepare resources, replace broken or faulty equipment and to upgrade out of date or destroyed text books. However, in the recent Ofsted inspection, the place received a 'satisfactory' grading. Is this the sort of place any sane parent would wish to send their child?

Many Ofsted decisions are politically motivated, and have little or no reflection on the professionalism and commitment of the teachers that work at a school.

S
I'd gladly go out and buy exercise books for my kids rather than them bring home tatty bits of paper that get lost anyway. Mind, then you'd get those that couldn't afford to wouldn't you.

Don't get me wrong I think most teachers do a brilliant job and it's one I don't think I'd like to do, but the political side of it is rather naff IMHO.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 11:06 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Correct. Each state tends to have its own assessment structure, and there are a number of non-government bodies (including some non-profit organisations) which assess and measure schools through a variety of methods.

For example, the Australasian School Competitions (run by an Australian independent body) regularly assess up to 1.7 million students from the following countries: Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Brunei, Papua New Guinea, China, Fiji, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa and Vanuatu.

If you are home-schooling, you will be periodically visited by a representative from the state education department, to ensure that you are providing a standard of education which meets the state government requirements.

Wikipedia has an excellent overview of the Australian education system, available here.
Thanks Vash, ive just spent the last hour looking through stuff from this link to Wikipedia, it really is an excellent link and there are tons of links from this too. ta!

Nev. karma on its way to you
Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:59 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Originally Posted by redlion
Thanks Vash, ive just spent the last hour looking through stuff from this link to Wikipedia, it really is an excellent link and there are tons of links from this too. ta!

Nev. karma on its way to you
Thanks mate; my pleasure.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:02 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Thanks Vash for that link....have been researching schooling the last few weeks and this will help a lot.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:05 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Australian schools - equivalent to OFSTED?

Originally Posted by Issie
Thanks Vash for that link....have been researching schooling the last few weeks and this will help a lot.
Cheers.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa

Lisa.xx
tell me about it - we had them do a surprise visit last thursday and they came back yesterday to finish off, phew glad thats all over with
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DebraH
tell me about it - we had them do a surprise visit last thursday and they came back yesterday to finish off, phew glad thats all over with
The Gits! but at least it was before easter hols, glad its over for you...

Lisa.xx