Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian resident for tax purposes?

Australian resident for tax purposes?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all
Default Australian resident for tax purposes?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice - we are planning to move to Australia this December. Initially, it would be just me and the kids. My hubby would be taking a month off from work, coming to Aus with us to help us settle down and then go back.

Hubby is worried that if he comes to Aus with us in Dec, albeit temporarily, he would be considered a resident for tax purposes (he says he remembers reading this on the ATO tax site some time ago) and then be taxed on all his income earned thereafter, even though he is not residing in Australia.

Could anyone please advise if this is the case? Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:40 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian resident for tax purposes?

Originally Posted by Kassy
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice - we are planning to move to Australia this December. Initially, it would be just me and the kids. My hubby would be taking a month off from work, coming to Aus with us to help us settle down and then go back.

Hubby is worried that if he comes to Aus with us in Dec, albeit temporarily, he would be considered a resident for tax purposes (he says he remembers reading this on the ATO tax site some time ago) and then be taxed on all his income earned thereafter, even though he is not residing in Australia.

He would have too reside in Australia for a period greater than 182 days.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
Hi,

You should probably seek professional advice (i.e. not from an Internet forum), but anyway...

If hubby comes over to Oz and returns shortly after to continue where he left off in the UK, then it's unlikely that he'll be considered to be a resident for tax purposes. He'll become a resident for tax purposes the day he lands back in the country to start his new life over here.

If you like reading Tax information, have a look at http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/64131.htm. This is the ATO's guide to who is considered to be a resident for tax purposes.

Again, you should probably seek professional advice.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Thanks! Also found examples of similar cases on the ATO website.

Will get hold of an accountant nearer the time.