Australian Navy

Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

GreyDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Navy

You might wish to shop around for medicals as some doctors charge less than others and have shorter waiting times. I found the panel doctor in Kingston to be very efficient and value for money.

Regards
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hukna
Thanks for that good info. Who can you get to certify copies of the documents - does it have to be a solicitor or just another professional?
We had our docs certified by the magistrates court in Plymouth and they charged £8 for loads. We took all the photo copies that needed certifiying along with the originals. For some reason we failed to certifiy our kids passports and Mike took them into work and had them certified by a colleague in FOST, immigration seemed to accept these??!!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

kimalan is on a distinguished road

Hi there, well I have read all your mail and I will give you our experience so far! I have joined the RAN having done my 24 yrs in the RN and I did 18 mths in MDP (MMMMMMMM). Well we arrived here in Sydney 3 days ago and what can I say!!

We came out business class with Malaysian airways which was ace and we were treated like the Royals. We also had a 2 night stay over in KL again very nice etc but now I look like the Fly (remember the movie), bitten to shreds by mozzies and the wife looks even worse ah ah.

Then we arrived at Sydney airport, the queues were massive and we thought OH NO, but we were collared by Customs and I presume being british we were passed through straight away with no hassle (great). Then we got outside and we could not believe the cold, and to top that off, the taxi queue was massive, after an hour we took the journey from hell, with the made taxi man, so I look like the fly with a bad head now!

Having reached our apartment (where you stay until you find a home), we had a good cry as reality set in. The apartment is first class and can I say up to this point everyone connected with the ADF, those in Australia House etc have been brilliant and looked after our every need.

However, where our apartment is located is like Beruit with nutters everywhere, transvestites, prostitutes, drug and alcohol center next door and needle exchange and to top it all we thought we were back in the 80's with the dress sense (WELCOME TO SYDNEY,THE PARTS TOURISTS DONT SEE).

Once I boiled my head and calmed down, we went to get our Tax numbers which was easy and the staff really helpful. Open a bank account before you arrive (I did with the Commonwealth Bank), and I popped in and the service was excellent with my cards etc waiting for me.

Then I reported to the Naval section in the town center to get my service number (PMKEYS they call it) and guess what I was not in the system(typical), as you need the PMKEY to get on the net to use the DHA Home Finder service, so I am waiting for that. But the DHA have been great in particular Isabel Perez who finds you the houses.

Now comes the other thing to deal with!!!! We came from sunny Devon, Plymouth where both Kim and I only travelled 20 mins to work and we were surrounded by the Devon Moors. Another reality check, here everyone travels up to an hour or more to get to work to the Naval Bases and thats by train, even longer by car. To top that, when you ask local people where's the best place to live, they are not positive about anywhere, unless you have got loads of cash or are willing to travel. The south seems ok.

We are off to look at houses tomorrow and will keep you all informed.

The naval staff have all been ace as I have said, (its now 2 am and the road sweeper is just going past, massive truck! great nights kip NOT). We are remaining up beat or we will cry. We are not moaning poms just a couple who have come out of there comfort zone.

WE WILL CONTINUE OUR EPIC JOUNRNEY FOR YOU ALL SOON

KIM AND ALAN
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimalan
Hi there, well I have read all your mail and I will give you our experience so far! I have joined the RAN having done my 24 yrs in the RN and I did 18 mths in MDP (MMMMMMMM). Well we arrived here in Sydney 3 days ago and what can I say!!

We came out business class with Malaysian airways which was ace and we were treated like the Royals. We also had a 2 night stay over in KL again very nice etc but now I look like the Fly (remember the movie), bitten to shreds by mozzies and the wife looks even worse ah ah.

Then we arrived at Sydney airport, the queues were massive and we thought OH NO, but we were collared by Customs and I presume being british we were passed through straight away with no hassle (great). Then we got outside and we could not believe the cold, and to top that off, the taxi queue was massive, after an hour we took the journey from hell, with the made taxi man, so I look like the fly with a bad head now!

Having reached our apartment (where you stay until you find a home), we had a good cry as reality set in. The apartment is first class and can I say up to this point everyone connected with the ADF, those in Australia House etc have been brilliant and looked after our every need.

However, where our apartment is located is like Beruit with nutters everywhere, transvestites, prostitutes, drug and alcohol center next door and needle exchange and to top it all we thought we were back in the 80's with the dress sense (WELCOME TO SYDNEY,THE PARTS TOURISTS DONT SEE).

Once I boiled my head and calmed down, we went to get our Tax numbers which was easy and the staff really helpful. Open a bank account before you arrive (I did with the Commonwealth Bank), and I popped in and the service was excellent with my cards etc waiting for me.

Then I reported to the Naval section in the town center to get my service number (PMKEYS they call it) and guess what I was not in the system(typical), as you need the PMKEY to get on the net to use the DHA Home Finder service, so I am waiting for that. But the DHA have been great in particular Isabel Perez who finds you the houses.

Now comes the other thing to deal with!!!! We came from sunny Devon, Plymouth where both Kim and I only travelled 20 mins to work and we were surrounded by the Devon Moors. Another reality check, here everyone travels up to an hour or more to get to work to the Naval Bases and thats by train, even longer by car. To top that, when you ask local people where's the best place to live, they are not positive about anywhere, unless you have got loads of cash or are willing to travel. The south seems ok.

The naval staff have all been ace as I have said, (its now 2 am and the road sweeper is just going past, massive truck! great nights kip NOT). We are remaining up beat or we will cry. We are not moaning poms just a couple who have come out of there comfort zone.

KIM AND ALAN
Hi Kim and Alan

Glad to hear you are finally there. I am now wondering how excited I should be about going to Sydney Thanks for a very honest post and I am going to eagerly wait for an update and hope you find a home that is in a better area.

Fingers crossed that we get the visa's and we will be joining you in 15 weeks. Will definitely like to meet up with you both and have a beer

Love Tammy
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hukna
Thanks for that good info. Who can you get to certify copies of the documents - does it have to be a solicitor or just another professional?
We got Adams mate ( navy )to certify ours , we had no problems . I even certified Tigersannes paperwork for her and hubby and they had no probs , and i am a nurse .
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Hey guys

Keep smiling and remember you are still jet lagged and bitten to death not a great combination!!!

I am now even more pleased we are perth bound as the feedback we have got from those already over there is not like your experience. I am sure when you find your feet and settle it will improve. I totally agree with the comfort zone aspect, can't say I'm looking forward to the travel but then again I've got to find a job first! I'm sure my husband will cope, he's been a hardy push bike rider for years!! You tough sailors will be fine.

Good luck with your new life it will get better.

KIM AND ALAN
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

Hi Kim, Alan and Everyone

Sorry to hear things are a little rough in Sydney and I hope things will improve for you once you get settled into your house. I cannot understand why you were not meet at the airport by an ADF rep, we were when we came to Perth in June. Apparently nobody wanted to do the job at first (we were the first to come straight to Perth) but a lovely chap Mat Winner was waiting (in the rain) to collect us. We managed to secure a house before we came. It was reserved until paul got his PMKEYS and we moved in within 5 days of landing.

As you said the ADF have been brilliant in looking after us and they even paid us money for not staying in the apartment too long (work that one out!!)

Good luck to you both in your new life in Sydney and I'm looking forward to seeing the Perthies in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed Tammy and Kate you get the visa very soon.

Nicky xxx
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:28 am
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

We were wondering that also Little Nick !! Why did you have to queue for a long time to get a taxi ?? Why wasn't there an ADF representative to collect and transport you to your accommodation ??
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

IT GETS WORSE WILL TELL YOU ALL MORE WHEN I HAVE CALMED DOWN!!!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

littlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nicelittlenick is just really nice

IT GETS WORSE WILL TELL YOU ALL MORE WHEN I HAVE CALMED DOWN!!!
Really sorry to hear things are not going too well. Paul had same trouble with PMKEYS but phoned Canberra (Penny) and she gave him his over the phone so that's why we could move into the house quickly. I hope things start to improve for you and look forward to hearing how it's going. Take care

Nicky
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:57 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Just read your post and you have my sympathies. Sounds like they put you in Surry Hills. You can't get a lot worse than that so don't panic.

Its going to be a a massive shock to the system, but at least you have each other. I arrived on my own leaving the wife & kids to sell up & join me 5 months later.

I'm an ex CPO Tiff and was on subs until I got redundancy in 93 after a short stint (by your standards) of nearly 12 years, lived in Torpoint till 98, moved to Oxfordshire in 98 (big mistake), moved to Sydney in 2003 & haven't been back since.

Sent you a pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

wheres the pm shippers could with a chat
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

GreyDog is an unknown quantity at this point

and so........what happened next? Eagerly waiting for the next instalment of your story! Is the street cleaner still keeping Kim and Alan awake at nights and thus preventing their continuance of this saga or di they catch the next flight back to UK?

Serioulsy though, hope things have settled down now (including your jet lag and mozzie bites) and that you've started to see some more positive aspects of your brave move to a new world!

Regards
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Grey Dog and others!

We are still here and guess what its 4 in the morning and why im a up, YEP cant sleep with all the pissed up people walking passed the apartment. Only thought us brits were binge drinkers ah ah.

Went into the city again yesterday to do the tourist thing and was really good, seeing Darling Harbour (nice shops etc, animal park), then went to Opera House (again good).

The thing you will notice about Sydney it is so much like a mini New York mixed with London. The driving is not to bad, but very congested.

We then went to Bondi Beach, and it is the Winter here so everyone has got coats on etc, but to us it is hot and being typical brits we are in T shirt etc and trying to catch the rays. Near Bondi is a shopping centre and it is a lot better than the shops in the city..called Westfield.

The biggest thing at the mo, is trying to work out the prices of things and we are trying hard not to convert everything into £s, but it is hard and you think you are being seen off, but your not. Went to buy a Camera and guess what, I was seen off!!! cost me 900$ only to find out I can get it for $450 in another shop (can only happen to me, FLY FACE)

For those coming to Sydney in the future (ARMY/NAVY) try and get your temporary accommodation in the Bondi area, I have heard others have and it is so much nicer than Surrey Hills (ours is really noisy and as I have said before like living in Union Street)

Now back to the our housing situation. The one thing you should all be prepared for those coming to Sydney area, is the distances people travel (thats everyone) and the traffic problems are a nightmare. To the aussies this is the normal thing but to us a big shock. I have spoken to others in the RAN and to travel to work 45 mins to 1 hour is good, each way that is!

Not being a snob now, and we do compromise and are willing to do so, we have visited a few M/Q's and we have found that they look big from the outside but our furniture will not fit in (half of it), so they have said we should put the rest in storage, but I am not prepared to do that, its my home and part of us. We only had a 3 bed semi at home, so this gives you an idea. Some are fitted with kitchens from the 1980's or so it appears (even orange ones mmmmmmm nice)

The other thing the gardens are small, but not being rude if you have strips on your shoulders, you won't have this problem, you get better houses.

We have kept our house in the UK and we are so glad (if things dont work out we have a fall back, if it does work then you can sell. Seriously take my advise at this stage keep your home if you can.

I bet you all think we are right wingeing poms, just being honest. One final thing before you all fall to sleep, the birds are great (not those ones lads, dont tell the mrs), we have finches and blackbirds back home, here its parrots, cockatoos, and this massive squawking thing,(looks like a terradactual) (pretty bird, pretty bird) which is good.

Anyway, going to watch some great TV now! Wish you were all here and speak again soon

Love Kim and Alan
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Still waiting on tender hooks to hear about our visa's

Just wondered if anybody has any experience of being located in Sydney? My husband will be working at HMS Kuttubul. After reading the last few posts I have become very unsettled with the thought of moving our family (kids age 9 & 10) to an area that has been explained above.

We already been told that my husband would have to commute roughly an hour to work each day. As he is dropping rank and will be joining the Australian Navy Band as a Leading Seaman, will our accommodation choices be restricted to that of a poor/small selection?

We have made our decision to move to Australia based on us as a family and with my husband only having 6 years left in the Royal Marines here, are giving up his pension etc for what we hope in life, things money just can't buy.

With still a glimmer of hope that we will get the much anticipated Visa's, I suppose if I resort to thinking that when we arrive that we will have a seedy apartment for up to 6 weeks and then be allocated some small little shoe box to call our home. At least if I am aware then we shouldn't be disappointed and anything else may be a bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.