Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Idol Voting predjudice

Australian Idol Voting predjudice

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:46 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Idol Voting predjudice

I know not all of you watch OZ idol but my beloved and I have been having a debate about the possibility of racism affecting the voting.

My other half thinks Shannon will win because he is all Australian.
I thought Guy would win because of his unique style and obvious talent but my hubby says that he will not win and neither would Paulini because of colour predjudice. I have been fond of Cosima, maybe a WA bias there, but hubby thinks she won't win becasue of her Italian heritage.

Then tonight Guy and Paulini had the least votes and Paulini has now been voted off despite having a great voice and although Shannon is cute he doesn't have a great voice.

I was surprised to see Guy receiving lower votes but my beloeved said that racism was alive and well in 'white australia' and he may have a point.

Another Wa girl (whose name I can't remember) she was voted off and brought up the subject of racism in the voting a few weeks ago, this was dismissed by one of the judges but maybe she had a point.

What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:54 am
WBB

i dont think people still think like that...do they?

surely somebody's colour does not make a difference to the way they sing???

mind you in saying that on the u.k idol this week there was a black boy voted off and he was as good as anyone else so maybe you have a point, there was also that girl on the last series of popstars who was mixed race who was by far the best singer but did not make the final 5 in the band.

it is sad that people think like that though.

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:54 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Idol Voting predjudice

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I know not all of you watch OZ idol but my beloved and I have been having a debate about the possibility of racism affecting the voting.

My other half thinks Shannon will win because he is all Australian.
I thought Guy would win because of his unique style and obvious talent but my hubby says that he will not win and neither would Paulini because of colour predjudice. I have been fond of Cosima, maybe a WA bias there, but hubby thinks she won't win becasue of her Italian heritage.

Then tonight Guy and Paulini had the least votes and Paulini has now been voted off despite having a great voice and although Shannon is cute he doesn't have a great voice.

I was surprised to see Guy receiving lower votes but my beloeved said that racism was alive and well in 'white australia' and he may have a point.

Another Wa girl (whose name I can't remember) she was voted off and brought up the subject of racism in the voting a few weeks ago, this was dismissed by one of the judges but maybe she had a point.

What are your thoughts?
Totally off track (would love to watch Idol but donated 1970s TV blew up 2 days ago!)

Why did you change your name from karawara88 to Jirrupin?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:03 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Pookin
Totally off track (would love to watch Idol but donated 1970s TV blew up 2 days ago!)

Why did you change your name from karawara88 to Jirrupin?
Sorry to hear about your TV was it a sad loss? I get so bored here I have to watch some TV, although I have membership at the library and getting through several books each week.

My hubby is/was Karawara but he has gone into retirement, at least for a while.

So I can now get at the computer but I had to set up my own id because he said no one would know he had retired if I used his username.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:12 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Sorry to hear about your TV was it a sad loss? I get so bored here I have to watch some TV, although I have membership at the library and getting through several books each week.

My hubby is/was Karawara but he has gone into retirement, at least for a while.

So I can now get at the computer but I had to set up my own id because he said no one would know he had retired if I used his username.
TV was a loss (Might make a nice table!), but hey, cash convertors is calling. Just did a quick search on Jirrupin - aboriginal for happy I think?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:19 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Pookin
TV was a loss (Might make a nice table!), but hey, cash convertors is calling. Just did a quick search on Jirrupin - aboriginal for happy I think?
It is apparently aboriginal with english ending and means being happy. I thought it suited me and I wanted something aboriginal being in OZ and so forth.