Mobile Phones.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Phones.

Hi everybody..

I was doing some research on mobile phones and suddently a question got in my mind.

In Venezuela (where I live) the calling person pays for the extra costs of calling a mobile phone, so receiving calls on your cell is free.

In USA, the callling person perceives the mobile phone as a local call, and the owner of the mobile gets charged for air time on received calls.

Any Idea on how this works in OZ???

Also... could I buy a prepaid phone and receive calls while I still in Venezuela (we have GSM here)?. This would be great to start looking for a Job before I get there...

Anyway thanks for any help....

Enrique.-
Old Oct 26th 2003, 11:04 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile Phones.

Australia is like Venezuela - the calling party pays, but not the receiver. However, if you use your phone in another country from where the account is, you pay to receive the international portion of the call.

Australia has good GSM coverage in the urban areas and along key motorways. In the countryside it's a different network type called CDMA.

Mobile Phone accounts are controlled here - in that you have to provide ID and an address when you first buy one (this is the same whether it's pay as you go or contract). It basically means you have to buy your phone in person - not convenient from Venezuela.

Lastly, I think Australian pre-paid phones / sim cards don't work overseas, though phones with a contract do.

Originally posted by evila
Hi everybody..

I was doing some research on mobile phones and suddently a question got in my mind.

In Venezuela (where I live) the calling person pays for the extra costs of calling a mobile phone, so receiving calls on your cell is free.

In USA, the callling person perceives the mobile phone as a local call, and the owner of the mobile gets charged for air time on received calls.

Any Idea on how this works in OZ???

Also... could I buy a prepaid phone and receive calls while I still in Venezuela (we have GSM here)?. This would be great to start looking for a Job before I get there...

Anyway thanks for any help....

Enrique.-
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank your for your enlightening answer...

Guess I should wait until I get there...