Australian Food

Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Food

Originally Posted by mr mover
Thats the pie floater, a meat pie face down in a bowl of Mushy peas, with a large dollop of tomato sauce/ketchup on top. Looks like crap but tastes great......... mm
The Idea Imported directly from Whitechapel, East london, and firm favourite of Cockneys. IE: No Pie and Mash shops south of the river (my ex manor), That I'm aware of anyway.

We dont get this In Melbourne, They do have it in Adelaide for some reason, wheres the liquor, or green sauce though ?

Australia being only 250 years old, and being mostly british up until the 40's of course has it's culinary roots, in the british area of cusine, It has vastly improved since the 40's with the influence of other culinary cultures into this country.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:15 pm
Friend

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Yep. IMHO multi cultural is good for all societies. Variety is the spice of life

Reality is that different societies feel more at ease in their own groups.

Maybe we should spend more time learning respect for each others differences rather than trying to force integration
i'm totally confused, how can we ever have a diverse society if everyone keeps within their own groups?

....it's like saying a curry is different from spaghetti bolognese, but lets add them together anyway because it's multi-flavoural.

I agree we should not have forced integration and their should be respect for each others cultures, but it seems to me that all over the world the concept of multi-culturism is being used for exactly the purpose of forcing people to live together. When everyone has been mixed up, their wont be anything such thing as multi-culturism, only a uni-culture which is bland, boring and useless.

For example, when I go to Japan, I dont want to see Russian people, eat Chinese food, or see Brazilian films, I want to experience Japanese stuff. Iv'e got nothing against Russians, Brazilians, and Chinese, but there not the reason I would ever go to Japan for.

have a look at this: http://www.davidduke.com/index.php?p=265

it's about how Ireland is slowly becoming non-Irish. Can you imagine going to Ireland but never meeting an Irish person, or never hearing an Irish voice?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:18 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Friend
i'm totally confused, how can we ever have a diverse society if everyone keeps within their own groups?

....it's like saying a curry is different from spaghetti bolognese, but lets add them together anyway because it's multi-flavoural.

I agree we should not have forced integration and their should be respect for each others cultures, but it seems to me that all over the world the concept of multi-culturism is being used for exactly the purpose of forcing people to live together. When everyone has been mixed up, their wont be anything such thing as multi-culturism, only a uni-culture which is bland, boring and useless.

For example, when I go to Japan, I dont want to see Russian people, eat Chinese food, or see Brazilian films, I want to experience Japanese stuff. Iv'e got nothing against Russians, Brazilians, and Chinese, but there not the reason I would ever go to Japan for.

it's about how Ireland is slowly becoming non-Irish. Can you imagine going to Ireland but never meeting an Irish person, or never hearing an Irish voice?
You are totally off topic and I think this is a wind up. Me finks it's you JTL

Go play with Jock you naughty boy

Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were being serious and rational - what's with the link to some white separatist site?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:34 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jayr
I thought you were being serious and rational - what's with the link to some white separatist site?
See above jayr

He's a naughty, naughty boy....lol

I'm off to get ready for a ladies lunch. No cheescake....but lots and lots of wine and food [very topical eh ]...see ya

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

....do you think a multi-cultural society is good for Australia?...or do you think it will wreck the place ?

I mean I went to Sydney a few years ago, and although it claims to be multi-cultural like Britain and many other places claim. The reality was different ethnic groups kept to themsleves in their own enclaves and hence it's not really multi-cultural. We have the same problem here in Britain, Asians in one part of the country, Whites in another, Blacks in another, etc...its like several different countries and few people mix except for business.
you will never stop a society protecting its culturte but a least with food you can all sit around and enjjoy that cuture what is the other option we shoot at shadows of ignorance.
sorry
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The Idea Imported directly from Whitechapel, East london, and firm favourite of Cockneys. IE: No Pie and Mash shops south of the river (my ex manor), That I'm aware of anyway.

We dont get this In Melbourne, They do have it in Adelaide for some reason, wheres the liquor, or green sauce though ?

Australia being only 250 years old, and being mostly british up until the 40's of course has it's culinary roots, in the british area of cusine, It has vastly improved since the 40's with the influence of other culinary cultures into this country.
Ive had 2 restaurants and the chance is supply and demand/ so why not set up a pie and mash shop i know after a few beers that the ploace to go.Im a northen lad ans always been black pudding and peas, but pie and mash sounds F??king good
steve
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

I could never expect the Irish not being Irish. or never having the crake(i know ive spelt that wrong) but you have some fantastic restaurants and hotel
and of corse the black stuff.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Does anyone know what traditional Australian food is?
Here is a quote from Bis Shrapnel Foodservice Report,
The firm's latest study, Fast food and Eating Out in Australia 2003-2005
http://www.c-store.com.au/magazine/a...goutrends.html
Fish and chip shops are identified as still the most popular independent food outlet, but this popularity is declining as more consumers turn to food courts and pizza shops. Thai, sushi, Indian and "other Asian" outlets are gaining popularity, while Chinese takeaways, cooked chicken shops, pie and cake shops and traditional takeaways are losing market share.

Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If you want a real Aboriginal delicacy

Try Green Tree Ants You lick their bums (true)
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

http://www.myinternet.com.au/edu/outback/recipes.html

If you like a drink:

sherry with a wijuti grub in it , good pressies for people ( I actually bought one of these a few years ago, no I didn't drink it. I took it back home this Christmas and give it to my mum in law - nope she didn't drink it won't even put it on her shelf - ungrateful s*d lol )
http://www.nicks.com.au/witjuti/page5.html

Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by suecroft
Ive had 2 restaurants and the chance is supply and demand/ so why not set up a pie and mash shop i know after a few beers that the ploace to go.Im a northen lad ans always been black pudding and peas, but pie and mash sounds F??king good
steve
There are several pie shops (Garlos) around where I live and in the CBD, not to mention Harrys at Woolloomoolloo, but I think pie shops get a bit of a tough time these days going up against health fads.

In answer to an earlier poster - Mitcham and St Reatham both have excellent pie + mash shops, though my personal favourite was Manzis in Walthamstow.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, pies.

The are now selling Jesters Jaffle pies in frozen 4 packs in the supermarket at Ocean Reef for $10 - yum!
Attached Thumbnails Australian Food-peas.gif  
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Not guilty! I only just got round to reading this thread.

It does sound like a wind up though

Oh, if anyone watched last weeks BHG, Fast Eddie was banging on about Fish and Chips being the great australian classic dish. I was shouting at the TV as usual, explaining its BRITISH, but he doesn't listen

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, that wasn't my husband. He's in for a divorce if he posts things like this:

Wherever he goes he'll never refuse Chinese food.

I can understand you being confused though as JTL has been going off topic a fair bit lately. He is with Jock at the moment - probably having lunch, with Jock's head resting on his lap staring lovingly begging for food.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

P.S. Darn... Oy, JTL/husband/whoever, How did you manage to post before me?????

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 8th 2005 at 3:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.