Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Economy

Australian Economy

Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Economy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly. The author comes across as someone trying to justify their extreme position without any evidence. I would still like to know on which website this article is.

Agree that Aussie is in the best shape.
If the Chinese domestic economy slumps because its export sector crashes due to plummeting demand from the US and others then we are all in serious trouble, Australia included. That would almost certainly mean a severe worldwide recession.

However, Australia with its strong fiscal position and diverse range of trading partners will be better placed than many. Australia also has significant trade with other Asian countries, India and the Middle East.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that doesn't fit with the Australia being (to a certain extent) insulated from US / European problems argument is the performance of the Aussie stock markets over the past 6 months.

They have fullen much further than their US / Euro counterparts, approx 25% off highs. The global credit crisis is a BIG problem for Australia because many 'ordinary' Australians are very highly leveraged through their investment properties & margin loans....encouraged all the way by the tax system. In this respect I think Australia is more susceptble than other countries to interest rate changes / credit cost changes , either imposed by the RBA or lenders.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
One thing that doesn't fit with the Australia being (to a certain extent) insulated from US / European problems argument is the performance of the Aussie stock markets over the past 6 months.

They have fullen much further than their US / Euro counterparts, approx 25% off highs. The global credit crisis is a BIG problem for Australia because many 'ordinary' Australians are very highly leveraged through their investment properties & margin loans....encouraged all the way by the tax system. In this respect I think Australia is more susceptble than other countries to interest rate changes / credit cost changes , either imposed by the RBA or lenders.
I agree that Australians are sensitive to interest rate changes and it is possible the RBA has overdone it. On the plus side, I think there is scope for the RBA to cut interest rates should this be required. In any case, it looks increasingly like we've reached the peak in the interest rate cycle. Of course the OZ dollar will fall if interest rates are cut and this will increase inflationary pressures. Personally, I think current monetary policy is about right and has the added benefit of forcing Australian companies to look for efficiency gains. Surprisingly, Australian manufacturing exports have remained strong in the face of the high Oz dollar.

Inflation is a major problem facing most countries and this is where the real threat to the world economy lies. The US is in the unenviable position of facing stagflation - at least Australia's economy is still growing robustly.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Our need for minerals is huge - there are over 200 in a mobile phone. Thats 200 mines, just for that one item.
Remind me again - how may elements in the periodic table?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Start at the end. Like Britain and much of Europe, Australia has enjoyed an orgy of private wealth based, in part, on home price values.<<

But this is where a lot of the problems are in the first place: the "Wealth" he refers to is nothing more than collections of electrons in bank accounts - like all money bar a small amount. Economic models that leave out home values are completely different to the ones most governments use: they may not be any more valid but when the chickens come home to roost they show exactly what's going to happen.

Read "The crash of '79" by Paul Erdman. It's fiction - but the scenario ending in economic collapse bears a striking resemblance to what is going on worldwide at present.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:48 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Ozzie economy is so strong why do the high street banks need to put up their loan rates above the level of the Reserve Bank's?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
If the Ozzie economy is so strong why do the high street banks need to put up their loan rates above the level of the Reserve Bank's?
Because they are passing on the increased costs of sourcing funds on global credit markets.......Australia doesn't operate in isolation. As I said before, irrespective of what the RBA does, up or down, whether or not people can continue to afford to be as leveraged as they are depends on how much the banks charge them, which in turn depends on what is happening outside of Australia.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly. The author comes across as someone trying to justify their extreme position without any evidence. I would still like to know on which website this article is.

Agree that Aussie is in the best shape.

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...howtopic=28870
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:11 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Because they are passing on the increased costs of sourcing funds on global credit markets.......Australia doesn't operate in isolation. As I said before, irrespective of what the RBA does, up or down, whether or not people can continue to afford to be as leveraged as they are depends on how much the banks charge them, which in turn depends on what is happening outside of Australia.
Well if Australia, with all its mineral wealth and trading partnerships, has that level of exposure to international money markets its hardly likely to be able to withstand a global recession is it? And the more our industry here has to pay to service its loans the more the cost of its exports is going to rise.

As I understand it the only hope of avoiding a worldwide recession lies with America getting itself out of the poo.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The 'Planet Wall Street' column is written by David Hirst - who's apparantly a journalist, documentary maker, financial consultant and investor.

You can subscribe to www.newsbites.com.au to get access to it.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickUK
An interesting article Devlin, but a bit too doom-and-gloom I think and its not like Oz is that much different to other western nations - if a recession hits, then more often than not the industries that primarily drive that country's economy will be impacted.

Fair enough if the US and Europe go into recession then it will impact Oz a good bit, but the resources boom won't just stop as China will continue to need a lot of raw materials irrespective, as will western nations need uranium for their next gen nuclear power stations. Just now even with the uncertainty in Europe and the US they've had to keep raising interest rates here to slow the economy at a time when they're having to lower them elsewhere.

What I thinks important that Oz has something to replace the resources boom when it ends, and I don't think its clear what yet - I suppose there's a good few years to sort that out
Not according to some of the reports that I've read, China exports much of its produce to the rich countries of the west - particularly the US. If the US slows, who will China sell to?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyC
The 'Planet Wall Street' column is written by David Hirst - who's apparantly a journalist, documentary maker, financial consultant and investor.

You can subscribe to www.newsbites.com.au to get access to it.
I think he needs to go back to finish High School because he sure can't write well. Even scarier when you consider he is a journalist.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:48 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Budawang
I think he needs to go back to finish High School because he sure can't write well. Even scarier when you consider he is a journalist.
Lots of journalists can't write well nor spell.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, not exactly the Wall Street Journal/BBC/CNN/ABC is it?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with the article for 2 reasons.

Firstly China is not dependent on the US buying their products, in fact the portion of their economy based on exports to the west is quite small (according to the ABC finance guy on the news).

Secondly Aussies won't just walk from their houses if they can't afford the payments because unlike the US when you walk the debt follows you. Also they're not likely to be able to walk straight into a rental either, there just aren't enough around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.