Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Economy

Australian Economy

Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Australian Economy

I found this article interesting. It paints a somewhat grimmr picture than most in Australia would anticipate! I personally do agree that the mineral resources boom is unsustainable in a slower world economy.

Australia faces the future
10 March 2008 - Planet Wall Street

As a rule I am reluctant to write about the Australian economy, concentrating usually on the US, English or sometime the “Anglo-Celt” domination of the world economy that has prevailed for some 300 years. But a study of Australia by Morgan Stanley, details of which appeared in today’s The Australian newspaper makes it difficult not to pause. And one could extrapolate. But what is going to happen in Australia has scary implication for the world.

Planet Wall Street has suggested for some time that the Australian, indeed any nation dependent on flogging off its resources to Asia might face peril if the US economy becomes unstuck. Well it is unstuck. Suddenly that which seemed solid is soft. Confidence has evaporated. The world is tumbling down.

Australia’s world has been built around exports, in principal to China. As Morgan Stanley points out, “basic raw metal prices could all by 40 per cent and bulk commodities by 15 per cent. Recession in the US, Japan, Britain and a “slow down” in Europe could doom a nation that has put to many eggs in the Chinese basket. “… we (Australia) are one of the world’s largest issuers of capital, with the most overpriced finance sector in the developed world and a rickety housing sector.

Start at the end. Like Britain and much of Europe, Australia has enjoyed an orgy of private wealth based, in part, on home price values. It, like Europe, has not seen a serious fall in home prices in a generation. US housing suffered terribly in the early nineties while the other compatible nations experienced a mere dip and housing prices ran far above wages, the fundamental that underpins a home's value. It is now apparent the US experience will be followed by Australia and perhaps the entire Anglo Celt world.

Morgan suggested a financial “Armageddon” for Australia due to the “panic” on the world’s credit markets. Right or wrong the market is making its judgment and it doesn’t like what it sees. “Dislocation in the credit markets puts a cloud over the economy and over equity.”

This is not a good time to be amongst the world’s leading debt nations. Australia is in deep debt. On the home front, literally, Australian has more leverage than the US did before the crash that is currently driving millions of Americans from their homes. They suffer from a housing stock that Morgan believes is far more expensive than the American equivalents. “The moment unemployment starts to rise, people will start defaulting on their housing loans.”

And they will. Unlike the Americans who were reticent to “walk” from the homes when they saw their values drop Australians, I suggest, have no such problems. The entire US economy was built on credit, while the Australian economy was built on debt; there's no difference - it's a matter of perception. Australians do not have the same moral compunctions over credit as their American cousins who, until recently guarded their credit as they would their…might I say their home. Finally the America home dweller started throwing in the towel. I don’t believe Australians will be reluctant to “walk” when they see that the party is over. Fundamentally, as the politicians like to say, the Australian economy is based on “selling off the farm.” It always has been. And the country has always had something to sell. Since WW11 the “lucky country” has “ridden on the sheep's back”, beef, wheat, mining booms, and, in recent years a combination of all – throw in a protected manufacturing industry, some tourism and a financial services industry which has been, until today, remarkably profitable. It has endured one of the country's most savage droughts with little more than a shrug. Australians have become, to use their own word “cocky”, about their destination and have long forgotten their utter dependence on the world, which, they have come to think is a place one goes for holidays. Having ignored Asia for most of its Anglo Celt existence – the past 200 years – only in the last 25 years have Australians travelled to Asia. Asia has now become their backyard, a place to be explored and enjoyed.

But the minerals based boom is hollow, lacking in substance. For too many years Australians have been told they cannot maintain their standard of living by selling their resources. But they have, and in doing so have come believe they can. But the boom of world trade is now collapsing before the nation's eyes and, while it is yet to see it, Australia is facing a situation not unlike that of Argentina almost 100 years ago when it fell from being the wealthiest land on earth to a third world outpost.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Australian Economy

Originally Posted by Devlin
I found this article interesting. It paints a somewhat grimmr picture than most in Australia would anticipate! I personally do agree that the mineral resources boom is unsustainable in a slower world economy.
An interesting article Devlin, but a bit too doom-and-gloom I think and its not like Oz is that much different to other western nations - if a recession hits, then more often than not the industries that primarily drive that country's economy will be impacted.

Fair enough if the US and Europe go into recession then it will impact Oz a good bit, but the resources boom won't just stop as China will continue to need a lot of raw materials irrespective, as will western nations need uranium for their next gen nuclear power stations. Just now even with the uncertainty in Europe and the US they've had to keep raising interest rates here to slow the economy at a time when they're having to lower them elsewhere.

What I thinks important that Oz has something to replace the resources boom when it ends, and I don't think its clear what yet - I suppose there's a good few years to sort that out
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

On what website was this article published? It would be good to know to put it into context.
Iron ore prices are going up at least 65% this year - probably more. Aussie mines are profitable at iron-ore prices a third of what they are today.
Uramium demand is going to grow.
60-70% of China's growth is based on domestic consumption.
If America goes into recession - and it's a big if, this will have an effect on us but not like it would have had in the past. Demand from Asia will shield us from a US slowdown.
Australia has tried to make stuff out of it's raw materials and it has failed. Look at Newcastle. Look at the Mitsubishi plant in Adelaide. We cannot compete with Asia on this. We can sell them our raw materials though.
Food prices, another commodity, are going throught the roof underpinning Australia agricultural sector. Drought is coming to an end. Rising demand for food in Asia and biofuels is going to support agriculture.
Australia needs to invest in industries beyond mining. The gov. needs to pull their finger out on this one.
What about LNG, the joker in the pack? Nobody is prediciting a fall in demand for hydrocarbons. LNG is potential bigger than iron-ore for Australia. Coal is the other commodity in big demand.

I also agree that this article is a bit too dire. I still think the Aussie economy will still grow. It also looks like interest rate rises are coming to an end too.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

This article doesn't look serious - it's very badly written for a start. The US is in trouble primarily because its financial sector has been poorly regulated for many years and its proverbial chickens are coming home to roost. By contrast, the Australian Federal Reserve has done a good job regulating our banks and home lenders. Australia's direct reliance on the US is low, with less than 10% of exports going there. Obviously, there will be a certain domino effect where declining US consumer demand will slow Asian economies which will, in turn, have a dampening effect on the Australian economy. However, we are probably as well insulated as any country to weather the US credit crunch. The relatively well-managed Australian economy will always be an attractive target for the vast amounts of capital from Asian and oil producing nations that are sloshing around looking for a home. Of course, if these capital rich countries decide to keep their capital for themselves this will drive up domestic demand in those countries and could cause a credit crunch in Australia. However, this will be offset by maintaining, if not strengthening, strong demand for our natural resources.

Any way you look at it, the US would love to have Australia's economic problems.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, personally, i dont think the Oz economy is really related anymore to Europe and the USA. It is much more linked to China and Asia. Chinas economy is based anymore on exports as much as it is domestic. There are 1.4 billion people who have been living relativly meagre existance and now want what they never had before. As for the mining industry, the world is a very differnt place to the last bust. Our need for minerals is huge - there are over 200 in a mobile phone. Thats 200 mines, just for that one item.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

60-70% of China's growth is based on domestic consumption.
This is true for GDP _growth_, however, the current GDP of China could fall a long way when the USA and Europe slows down, in fact the most recent trade figures showing a dramtic shrinkage of China's trade surplus.

When commodity prices fall dramatically - as they will, there will be a MASSIVE oversupply coming out of all the new infrastructure in WA!

Australia is not immune to the coming global economic slow down. The UK will also fare badly I think, however the extent of Australia's boom over the last decade will make it feel worse there. Asset prices in particular dwarf any other western nation for overvaluation, as does consumer debt.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The UK will also fare badly I think, however the extent of Australia's boom over the last decade will make it feel worse there. Asset prices in particular dwarf any other western nation for overvaluation, as does consumer debt.
I don't think so. The UK economy is largely based on financial services which are being hit hard by the turmoil in world financial markets. The vulnerability of the UK economy is already being reflected in the decline of the British Pound. As for asset prices, I think the average cost of UK housing is still higher than in Australia which would make housing more over-valued there. Australia's per-capita GDP (based on current exchange rates) is now slightly higher than the UK and housing prices slightly lower. I agree housing is overvalued in both countries, but it is not correct to say Australian asset prices dwarf those of other western nations for overvaluation.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Budawang
I don't think so. The UK economy is largely based on financial services which are being hit hard by the turmoil in world financial markets. The vulnerability of the UK economy is already being reflected in the decline of the British Pound. As for asset prices, I think the average cost of UK housing is still higher than in Australia which would make housing more over-valued there. Australia's per-capita GDP (based on current exchange rates) is now slightly higher than the UK and housing prices slightly lower. I agree housing is overvalued in both countries, but it is not correct to say Australian asset prices dwarf those of other western nations for overvaluation.
Relative to income Australia is quite a lot higher than the UK:

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...operty-prices/

In the survey Australia ranks number one in the list of the most expensive nations in the world in which to purchase a home relative to income...for locals living and working within the Australian economy this is frightening news.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relative to income Australia is quite a lot higher than the UK:

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...operty-prices/
Incomes aren't higher in the UK:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285 = 457 pounds per week = 989 aus dollars

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6302.0/ = 1127 AUD or 520 pounds

Housing prices are stupidly high in both countries and will hopefully fall. However, falling property prices will not necessarily cause a recession as it would have little impact on the real economy. It could lead to a decline in consumer confidence which is something the RBA is trying to do anyway.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Australia is still classed as the British cousin in ,the flag still carries the
union jack its not a major player on the world stage its financial
roots are British its a massive continent with citys perched on the edge
of the sea the only reason Asia deals with it is for its natural resources
Asians would rather deal with another Asian country
Not dissimilar to New zealand Whos only claim to fame is its crippling
interest rates that the rest of the world are milking with the carrie trade
How on earth can NZ be a major world player what have thay got
ow yer forgot massive interest rates
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Incomes aren't higher in the UK:...
Think that one stat is an average and one a median...

I'd put money on the UK average being higher...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The article comes across as a bit Pilger. It doesn't really back up what its saying with anything like a concrete argument. I think I'll start worrying when I see a run on a bank and its subsequent nationalisation.

Out of the US, UK and Aus I would bet on Aus being the best at weathering the building storm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian Economy

throw in a protected manufacturing industry
What's protected about it? Our largest manufacturers are foreign corporations!

only in the last 25 years have Australians travelled to Asia
No Australians visited Asia before 1983?

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 12th 2008 at 10:53 pm. Reason: Damn, miscalculated the date... :P
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrWho
Think that one stat is an average and one a median...

I'd put money on the UK average being higher...
You are right, one is a median and the other an average. You would expect the median to be a bit lower than the average. However, I still think average earnings are very similar. Per capita GDP is now higher in Australia.

Oz GDP in 2006: AUD 1.038 trillion = AUD 49,428 per capita
UK GDP in 2006: GBP 1.301 trillion = AUD 46,196 per capita

I used the current exchange rate AUD/GBP 2.166 and current population of 21 and 61 million respectively.

By way of comparison, US per capita GDP was around AUD 48,000 in 2006 due to the low value of the US dollar. Countries such as Denmark, Norway, Ireland and Switzerland all have significantly higher GDP per capita. Other European countries have similar or lower GDP per capita. The New Zealand number is around AUD 35,000 which is similar to the poorer European nations and explains why so many Kiwis are moving to Oz.

Source:
http://stats.oecd.org/wbos/default.a...ode=SNA_TABLE1
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The article comes across as a bit Pilger. It doesn't really back up what its saying with anything like a concrete argument. I think I'll start worrying when I see a run on a bank and its subsequent nationalisation.

Out of the US, UK and Aus I would bet on Aus being the best at weathering the building storm.
Exactly. The author comes across as someone trying to justify their extreme position without any evidence. I would still like to know on which website this article is.

Agree that Aussie is in the best shape.

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 12th 2008 at 10:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.