Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Drought.!!!!

Wikiposts

Australian Drought.!!!!

Old May 20th 2005, 8:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Drought.!!!!

Prolonged droughts can also damage houses as the earth underneath dries and cracks. Can cause subsidence and other difficulties depending on the soil structure.

Caused a lot of damage in the UK during the hot summer of 1976.

We need water to live!!!

G
Old May 20th 2005, 9:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Last night on the news, it showed a real quick report about snow in Brisbane. We had not seen it since. What happened? How rare is this?

Jane
It doesn't happen very often

But it was just hail and not real snow, but lots of it !

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304203
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304049

Old May 20th 2005, 9:50 pm
Badge

The El Nino Southern Oscillation index has stayed negative - it was positive in the summer.There is therefore an increased chance of an El Nino event this year so summer 2005/6 may be a hot one, having said that it may well be neutral.

BOM predicts that the weather in VIC will follow historical trend and we will have a warmer and drier winter.

BOM are due to report again soon.

Badge

Old May 21st 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hello....I am taking it very seriously the water shortage, I don't waste water wherever possible...and in my work (scrub nurse) I limited the amount of water I use.

I save any water on our speedboat cover to wash the car with and don't over fill the washing machine...If I have water left over from drinking I water plants etc with it....

A lot of people say they are just normal things as they would do normally but it all eventually has a knockon effect and so if you can do your bit then cool...

Although would be better if the aussies took on the system in the UK where you filter the sewage water for drinking etc...they just use fresh water here which is quite amazing....You would think that as some parts haven't had water for 6 years that either reusing sewage water or salination would be the key....but then this is australia...maybe in another 10 years!
Old May 21st 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Hello....I am taking it very seriously the water shortage, I don't waste water wherever possible...and in my work (scrub nurse) I limited the amount of water I use.

I save any water on our speedboat cover to wash the car with and don't over fill the washing machine...If I have water left over from drinking I water plants etc with it....

A lot of people say they are just normal things as they would do normally but it all eventually has a knockon effect and so if you can do your bit then cool...

Although would be better if the aussies took on the system in the UK where you filter the sewage water for drinking etc...they just use fresh water here which is quite amazing....You would think that as some parts haven't had water for 6 years that either reusing sewage water or salination would be the key....but then this is australia...maybe in another 10 years!

ooooooooooops should have said DESALINATION!