Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Citizens LAHFA

Australian Citizens LAHFA

Old May 22nd 2008, 11:35 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Australian Citizens LAHFA

Hi,

Can Australian Citizens may claim LAHFA.In case they are hired when they were overseas etc.

The tax office usually ask for Australian Resident for tax purposes question only which I think people on 457 visa are as well.

Please suggest and comment.

Thanks,
Murtaza Bilgrami

Last edited by smurtaza; May 22nd 2008 at 11:38 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:40 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Citizens LAHFA

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Can Australian Citizens may claim LAHFA.In case they are hired when they were overseas etc.
No, Aus citizens can't claim it. People with permanent visas can't claim it either. It's for people on temporary visas (LAFHA = Living Away From Home Allowance)

Gina
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

The tax office usually ask for Australian Resident for tax purposes question only which I think people on 457 visa are as well.

Please suggest and comment.

Thanks,
Murtaza Bilgrami
Aus residents can claim it so long as they are LIVING AWAY FROM HOME.

E.g if you had a family home in Adelaide and were asked to work in Sydney you could claim it..... or if you were living in the city and asked to work away. As I understand it the onus is on the company to undertake checks to ensure that you have significant links in the place that you call home. These significant links would usually be in the form of a family home, but could also include family ties (such as dependent children or parents.) If you are relocating from overseas it could include significant investments in that country. It is only payable if the move is temporary and if you intend to return "home" and NOT just if you are relocating (for example if you were on a permanent contract it would be hard to justify that you were living away from home rather than moving.)

Finding good reliable and user-friendly info on LAFHA is an absolute nightmare! I have done lots of reading and research on LAFHA in the last 18months so this is just my understanding of it all and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong!

Last edited by Katherined0; May 22nd 2008 at 11:50 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
No, Aus citizens can't claim it. People with permanent visas can't claim it either. It's for people on temporary visas (LAFHA = Living Away From Home Allowance)

Gina
Afraid that's not right.

Anyone who is living away from home can claim it. Whether home is the UK and the job is in Sydney - or home is in Melbourne and the job is in Sydney.

It's got nothing to do with your visa and everything to do with where you are working/living.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Guys working for me in Perth who commute from the east coast claim it.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
LOL - Worst bolded advice ever!
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:22 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked if he could claim it because he was living overseas when he was hired (and before he became an Oz citizen. He now lives and works in the same town.)

That's the question I as responding too - not all the alternative scenarios you've come up with since.
http://payme.com.au/LAFHA.html

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; May 23rd 2008 at 2:26 am.