Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WAITING for a UK passport renewal....any help?

WAITING for a UK passport renewal....any help?

Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Dean Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WAITING for a UK passport renewal....any help?

I have been waiting ages for my UK British passport renewal. Approaching the 25 day point they talk about on their website. I call every third day (the ONLY number that is available for me to call) and am told my Passport is still in the early stages of processing. Does anyone know if this is just info line babble? I can't understand why it should be taking so long. Also EVERY time I call I am told something that contradicts (slightly) with something I have been told before. Does anyone have any stories on how to troubleshoot this. I have a trip to the UK planned for the 26th April and don't feel as if I am going to make it.

Anyone in the same boat at the moment as me thinking the BHC is a little sadistic in their treatment of British subjects in Australia. Anyone have any info about how long it takes for a passport to go from 'early' stages to your doorstep?

Dean
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WAITING for a UK passport renewal....any help?

Originally Posted by Dean Atkinson
I have been waiting ages for my UK British passport renewal. Approaching the 25 day point they talk about on their website. I call every third day (the ONLY number that is available for me to call) and am told my Passport is still in the early stages of processing. Does anyone know if this is just info line babble? I can't understand why it should be taking so long. Also EVERY time I call I am told something that contradicts (slightly) with something I have been told before. Does anyone have any stories on how to troubleshoot this. I have a trip to the UK planned for the 26th April and don't feel as if I am going to make it.

Anyone in the same boat at the moment as me thinking the BHC is a little sadistic in their treatment of British subjects in Australia. Anyone have any info about how long it takes for a passport to go from 'early' stages to your doorstep?

Did you stay on the overseas electoral roll for the U.K.?
You may want to make a complaint to your Member of Parliament if so.

PS it's British citizen these days, generally, not "British subject".
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Dean
So you say you have been waiting "ages" but how long is that exactly? When did you send off your paperwork to them? I assume you are applying to Canberra.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Wow you guys are quick!

I sent my application on the 3rd March; I was told in one of my conversations that they received it on the 5th March So I guess tomorrow is the 25 working day mark; taking holidays into account.

I understand that I am still within the time frame but am wondering why I should be told I am still in the EARLY stages after so long. I'm hoping that the 'early' to 'complete' stage is not that long. It's interesting how the website does not use the word 'approximately' or 'roughly' 'minimum' when mentioning the 25 days. Would it be fair for any normal person to then assume that the 25 day wait was a maximum. I think the info is misleading.
Any idea how accurate their info really is?

Yes I am applying to Canberra.

D
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:24 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Had no problem with a passport renewal recently - came through without any problems and I thought quite quickly.

However, my daughters first passport that was applied for at the same time had her name spelt incorrectly so had to be returned. After returning it a replacement (correct spelling) arrived within 2 weeks.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:30 am
Just Joined

DadAgain,

When exactly did you apply for yours and can you remember exactly how long it took? Also how long did it take for them to return the error. Did they contact you in person before the mailed it. Sorry to ask for so much info but any extra jigsaw pieces would be useful to me at the moment.

Cheers

Dean
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:47 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Cant remember exactly when it was - but it was before xmas...

I have no recollection of how long it took initialy - but it was comfortably within the suggested timeframe - it was a bit of a 'send and forget' operation in our house since we're not travelling for a few months yet!

The passport correction took 2 weeks and happened without any fuss.

Both passports were issued without a single phone call or any notification other than the passports arriving registered post.

Sorry I cant be more help
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you stay on the overseas electoral roll for the U.K.?
You may want to make a complaint to your Member of Parliament if so.

PS it's British citizen these days, generally, not "British subject".
My Father contacted the MP on my behalf, but has not got a response yet.

DadAgain,

Thanks so much for your info. I appreciate it.

I just can't understand why it should seem to be so early in the process so late into the application. especially given the 25 day time frame.

It seems that so many other people have not had an issue with it taking so long.

It makes me wonder as to the accuracy of the reports I am getting.

I often wonder whether had I not called at all I would not be quite as worried and just be allowing the process to take it's toll.

Last edited by Dean Atkinson; Apr 10th 2008 at 3:53 am. Reason: additions
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, having visited the British High Commission to get my passport renewed just this morning, I must say that nothing surprises me. Let us say that snails move faster and there was the weirdest of prioritizing processes. However, that aside, the people therein were really pleasant and did their best with what appeared to be a very convoluted process.

I would ring again and explain the departure date problem, if you dont get anywhere then ask to speak to a supervisor and keep doing that until you get someone who can give you a definitive answer.

If you are close enough to come to Canberra to come and collect it perhaps you could suggest that you will do that because you are so desperate. The place is open 9am - 2pm (on the dot!!!)
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

I'd love to go to Canbera and get it but I don't know if it will be ready.

I like your idea of hounding that phone line a bit though. I might start doing that next week at a cost. I have asked to speak to a supervisor beforenow and was met with the very negative response of "no one in this office can help you'

All I can do at the moment is trust the 25 day thing and assume that Early stages is just jargon for, were not quite done yet.

Does anyone have any idea about how definitive that is. The website seems to suggest that it isbut some of the operaters have told me it's a minimum time.

Ever get the feeling you are talking to people who don't really know what there talking about?

D
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I asked today how long they were taking and was told 25 days - assuming that equates to 25 working days or 5 weeks. I now find myself without either Aussie or UK passport and am panicking about what happens if I should need to go home in a hurry!!!

If you do come down to Canberra, bring a good book to cope with the wait and try and be there at 9 rather than leaving it too late
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

This time last year I applied for my baby daughter's first passport.

Applied for her Aussie one and as soon as the interview was complete I posted my docs registered. 10 days later Aussie one appeared.
5 weeks later- no sign of UK one and money not deducted from my credit card (I checked online).

Aus Post told me the package was signed for the day after I sent it....then strangely enough money was deducted from CC the following day (a Friday) and passport arrived on the Monday. So just about 6 weeks for us.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:44 am
Just Joined

secondarylab will become famous soon enoughsecondarylab will become famous soon enough

I've had funds deducted from my credit card on 7 April 2008. Does anyone know the process? For instance do they remove the Fees authorization form and then begin to process the application, or do they deduct the fees at the final stage?

All I can safely assume is that the BHC received my application (or at the very least, the form that lets them take the money).

Quite frankly I'm afraid to call the High Commission because it'd just kill me to hear the phrase, "no one in this office can help you" (I prefer to hold false faith in the system).
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dean,
Am in similar position to you but needing to fly urgently.
How long did it take in the end?

Dean
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by secondarylab
I've had funds deducted from my credit card on 7 April 2008. Does anyone know the process? For instance do they remove the Fees authorization form and then begin to process the application, or do they deduct the fees at the final stage?

All I can safely assume is that the BHC received my application (or at the very least, the form that lets them take the money).

Quite frankly I'm afraid to call the High Commission because it'd just kill me to hear the phrase, "no one in this office can help you" (I prefer to hold false faith in the system).
And same to secondary lab - how long did yours take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.