Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian cities an Irish impression

Australian cities an Irish impression

Old May 10th 2011, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian cities an Irish impression

"Dat's Pert dat is"
Old May 10th 2011, 6:00 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
...Love to know your feelings on Manila too. Hows your tagalog?
(Sorry I realise this is off-topic)

Manila... its a god-awful hell hole. I've only ever found one place on this earth that I couldnt see any redeeming qualities to - and that was Manila.

By far the worst traffic and polution I've seen in Asian/African or South American cities, a rudeness from strangers just never encountered anywhere else on the planet, public transport fit only for midgets (WTF? Jeeps [buses] with roofs barely 3ft above the floor) and far too many people.... .. and I was theived from by my wifes relatives (went through our bags while we were out and took about US$200 cash)!

I might be going back next xmas for a holiday! - Hopefully we can skip Manila and head straight down to an island somewhere in the south - PLaenty of nice places around in Philippines - just got to avoid the capital.

oh - and my Tagalog sucks big time - but I can do a convincing Philo accent
Old May 10th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Love to know your feelings on Manila too. Hows your tagalog?
Possibly better than this persons.
Old May 10th 2011, 7:48 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Possibly better than this persons.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by DadAgain
(Sorry I realise this is off-topic)

Manila... its a god-awful hell hole. I've only ever found one place on this earth that I couldnt see any redeeming qualities to - and that was Manila.

By far the worst traffic and polution I've seen in Asian/African or South American cities, a rudeness from strangers just never encountered anywhere else on the planet, public transport fit only for midgets (WTF? Jeeps [buses] with roofs barely 3ft above the floor) and far too many people.... .. and I was theived from by my wifes relatives (went through our bags while we were out and took about US$200 cash)!

I might be going back next xmas for a holiday! - Hopefully we can skip Manila and head straight down to an island somewhere in the south - PLaenty of nice places around in Philippines - just got to avoid the capital.

oh - and my Tagalog sucks big time - but I can do a convincing Philo accent
Hi,

I agree, Manilla is horrible. I always tell people not to go there.

I lived on Cebu island, 50kms outside Cebu City, in a small quiet town called Sibonga, near Carcar city. They speak Visayas there, not the same as Tagalog. I speak a little Visayas, enough to get by. 80% of Filipinos speak Visayas, yet the national language is Tagalog.

Its the second largest city, and has similar problems to Manilla, but significantly less so. I dont mind the city too much, especially not to the degree that I dislike Manilla.

Manilla was destroyed during WW2 by the yanks killing Japs who occupied the city. Before that it was the pearl of the orient, comparable to Paris. Shame it was so badly re-built.

If anyone wants to know about my stay in Philippines, I did some blog entries on it http://alanpeters.blogspot.com/

Also, I drove around most of the Visayas area, so I know it quite well. I have a hugh amount of pics on Facebook, Australia too !

Last edited by smidsy; May 10th 2011 at 1:54 pm.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:00 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I do a lot of work in Manila, and really don’t mind it. Never been to Cebu though.

I have seen video footage of pre-war Manila and I agree, the city looked better in those days.

Originally Posted by smidsy
Hi,

I agree, Manilla is horrible. I always tell people not to go there.

I lived on Cebu island, 50kms outside Cebu City, in a small quiet town called Sibonga, near Carcar city. They speak Visayas there, not the same as Tagalog. I speak a little Visayas, enough to get by. 80% of Filipinos speak Visayas, yet the national language is Tagalog.

Its the second largest city, and has similar problems to Manilla, but significantly less so. I dont mind the city too much, especially not to the degree that I dislike Manilla.

Manilla was destroyed during WW2 by the yanks killing Japs who occupied the city. Before that it was the pearl of the orient, comparable to Paris. Shame it was so badly re-built.

If anyone wants to know about my stay in Philippines, I did some blog entries on it http://alanpeters.blogspot.com/

Also, I drove around most of the Visayas area, so I know it quite well. I have a hugh amount of pics on Facebook, Australia too !
Old May 10th 2011, 4:46 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smidsy
LOL

Its ok, im good now !

Comments, criticisms are welcome !

Just went on a mad one there. Pm sent to mod !
You'll fit right in here
Old May 27th 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Branded is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Perth is still hamstrung by antiquated shopping hours laws. Trying to find anything open on a Sunday (or even Saturday afternoon) is like searching for the Holy Grail. The laws were changed slightly recently but they are still way behind the other states.

15 years ago you couldn't even buy fuel at weekends unless you could find the servo that was on roster!.

Which reminds me - if anyone in Adelaide has ever wondered why there is a strip of neighbouring servos at the bottom of South Road near Sturt Road, they date back to 30 years ago when filling stations were not allowed to open at weekends in the Adelaide metro area. The bottom of South Road was just outside the metro boundary and so all the servos did a roaring trade at weekends - there was a similar stretch north of the city.
I remember those days well, had to use a coin-op fuel pump after hours or head down south or out past Pooraka. Thankfully that sort of rubbish is behind us now (oh wait, had a thought, some mongrel will try and re-introduce six o'clock closing at the pub! )
Old May 27th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I missed all the interesting bits...

Anyway, we've only lived in Perth, but this Sydney description reminded me of it:

Disadvantages...

Expensive, its the most expensive city in Australia. Houses cost a fortune. In the advantages, I said that I would earn the highest salary, however, Cheryl's salary would be almost the same, as elsewhere. So proportionally to cost of living, she would be earning less.

Commuting distance. Sydney suffers terribly from urban sprawl. This is the killer for Cheryl & I. Setting up, we cant afford to stay in expensive places. As such, we would be commuting large distances. Like 20 kilometers outside the city. It would involve waiting on a bus to the train station, waiting on a train, 45 minutes on the train, then bus, or walk to where we are going. Door to door, it could be 1.5 to 2 hours. Thats a nightmare! However, when we have money, and can afford a place closer to the city, we will reconsider Sydney.

Trafic - Same as commuting distance, it takes ages to get to the city.
So, I guess part of your Perth entry is done already...