Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you rent a flat in Sydney??

How do you rent a flat in Sydney??

Old May 25th 2011, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Jen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really nice
Default How do you rent a flat in Sydney??

Other than the obvious - go to a letting agent and give them your money... What is required when renting a flat for the first time?

We're moving to Sydney from the UK in a couple of months and have been making good use of domain.com to look at what is on offer on the rental market. But the use of terms such as "viewing date" and "open for inspection" lead me to think it's quite different from how we do things in the UK. If I'm correct it appears it's a turn up on the specified day with everyone else who likes it and if you like it submit an application and you get accepted.

There are sure to be things you can do to help with an application and that's where my question really lies... What do we need to help us get accepted for the flat we want?

I already have a reference from my previous letting agent which says we're good tenants (didn't trash the place and always paid on time etc). We're a same sex young professional couple. I've got a job lined up on an ok salary ($85k) but my o/h doesn't yet. I'm a Brit and she's a Kiwi. I don't know if any of these factors will help or hinder but thought worth giving all the facts up front.

Any help / comments / experience appreciated

Jen
Old May 25th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you rent a flat in Sydney??

Very similar situation to us - apart from the same sex and my wife is Irish

We arrived this week and are about to delve into the rental market here in Sydney. From looking on here it appears that you are correct in that you need to turn up on inspection days but it is worth contacting the agents as they may be able to do a private inspection beforehand.

Also you should get hold of the agents application form beforehand and have it pre filled out. That should be submitted with proof of income or job offer letter along with bank statements and references, copies of passports etc. Some also say you may need to offer to pay 3-6 months in advance or offer more per month!

It does appear to be a big fight to get a property but looking at the area we are interested in it seems to be slowing down a little over the last couple of months with properties staying on longer and some of them are saying the rent is negotiable. Perhaps winter is a good time to secure a rental??

Anyway feel free to drop me a PM for our experiences in a few weeks.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524423

Just one more reason we now own our own place although the buying process is just as painful.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I rented a unit in Homebush Bay for a year. Found it useful to get to know the agents well in your area of interest. There was a lot of competition for units there. We got friendly with one of the agents tried to get to see available units on non-viewing days. Not always possible, but it meant that when we found the right apartment, our application was in before everyone elses.

Good luck
Old May 25th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you are right about the viewing times, they just have a slot every week where everyone who's interested goes and views.

My advice would be to go to agencies beforehand and get the application forms. Fill them out and bring copies of all your references, bank statements, job offers, ID, etc. When you see a place you like, apply on the spot.

I've found letting agents here are generally lazy, the rental market is so competitve they know most properties will go so they put no effort in. They will generally just give the place to the first person who shows interest and can prove they can pay the rent. In theory, they should take all applications to the landlord but in most cases they will just get it off their desk as wuickly as possible.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steen1976
Some also say you may need to offer to pay 3-6 months in advance or offer more per month!
It is supposed to be illegal to accept offers of more than the asking rent, mainly to avoid rental auctions. Offering rent in advance is a tactic some do use however.

EDIT: It appears not actually. http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/zone_files...ding_flyer.pdf

Last edited by Steve2009; May 26th 2011 at 1:24 am.
Old May 27th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Jen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really nice

Thanks for the advice. Managed to get a 2 month bargain let through a friend for a serviced apartment which will keep us going until we manage to find the place of our dreams or at least somewhere clean with a reasonable commute to the city and bigger than a shoe box - ah the Sydney rental market sounds like we're going to have fun!