Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:45 pm
  #1  
HMP Queensland
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,399
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Travellers - interruption to airport services starting from 22 March 2016


The Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) is asking its members, who are employees of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, to participate in protected industrial action at various international airports from 22 March 2016​.

While the likely level of participation is unknown, we strongly encourage airline and cruise ship passengers to plan for potential delays by arriving at international airports and cruise ship terminals even earlier over the next few weeks.
The Department is working closely with stakeholders to minimise the impact on the travelling public, cargo and mail operations. We are also ensuring appropriate contingencies are in place for visa and citizenship services.

SEE THE LINK FOR DETAILS OF DATES/AIRPORTS AFFECTED
Pollyana is offline  
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:48 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,934
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Travellers - interruption to airport services starting from 22 March 2016


The Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) is asking its members, who are employees of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, to participate in protected industrial action at various international airports from 22 March 2016​.

While the likely level of participation is unknown, we strongly encourage airline and cruise ship passengers to plan for potential delays by arriving at international airports and cruise ship terminals even earlier over the next few weeks.
The Department is working closely with stakeholders to minimise the impact on the travelling public, cargo and mail operations. We are also ensuring appropriate contingencies are in place for visa and citizenship services.

SEE THE LINK FOR DETAILS OF DATES/AIRPORTS AFFECTED
..... haven't unions died yet?
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:21 am
  #3  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,994
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

24 hour stoppage the day when the Easter holiday exodus starts? How lovely! I'll be leaving MEL that night...will see how it goes.
bcworld is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:03 am
  #4  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
..... haven't unions died yet?
Sack their useless, socialist passenger asses

These pricks should be just grateful that they even have jobs - funded by us

Civil servants will always find ways to waste our money - it's the nature of the beast
Amazulu is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:37 am
  #5  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,558
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

As I understand, it's part of a 2 year old pay and conditions dispute that still hasn't been resolved. The government want to reduce the conditions such that they can impose new work locations, hours and days without agreement. There also hasn't been a pay rise over the last two years because there hasn't been agreement on a new deal, and the government refuses to backdate.

As such, it looks like another instance of where the government is pressing to make things worse, and then blaming people for standing up and saying 'no'.
GarryP is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:44 am
  #6  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
As I understand, it's part of a 2 year old pay and conditions dispute that still hasn't been resolved. The government want to reduce the conditions such that they can impose new work locations, hours and days without agreement. There also hasn't been a pay rise over the last two years because there hasn't been agreement on a new deal, and the government refuses to backdate.

As such, it looks like another instance of where the government is pressing to make things worse, and then blaming people for standing up and saying 'no'.
F**k 'em

Times are tight

They can have a pay rise when the deficit is gone
Amazulu is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:58 am
  #7  
HMP Queensland
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,399
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
As I understand, it's part of a 2 year old pay and conditions dispute that still hasn't been resolved. The government want to reduce the conditions such that they can impose new work locations, hours and days without agreement. There also hasn't been a pay rise over the last two years because there hasn't been agreement on a new deal, and the government refuses to backdate.

As such, it looks like another instance of where the government is pressing to make things worse, and then blaming people for standing up and saying 'no'.
Thats about how I see it.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:00 pm
  #8  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 24,219
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
F**k 'em

Times are tight

They can have a pay rise when the deficit is gone
F**k 'em

Times are tight

Wages in the private sector are falling - classic supply/demand scenario

We ain't exactly short of public servants - classic supply/demand scenario

They can have a pay rise when the deficit is gone

** edited by moderator**

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 19th 2016 at 4:57 pm. Reason: Please cut out the offensive language
Amazulu is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:12 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,934
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
As I understand, it's part of a 2 year old pay and conditions dispute that still hasn't been resolved. The government want to reduce the conditions such that they can impose new work locations, hours and days without agreement. There also hasn't been a pay rise over the last two years because there hasn't been agreement on a new deal, and the government refuses to backdate.

As such, it looks like another instance of where the government is pressing to make things worse, and then blaming people for standing up and saying 'no'.
Welcome to the real world.

Perhaps they should try the private sector, you know, the place where you don't get pay rises, instead new work locations, varying hours, etc

I agree, f**k em. If they feel disrupting people's easter for their own selfish purposes then rightly so .... f**k em
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:57 pm
  #10  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,558
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Welcome to the real world.

Perhaps they should try the private sector, you know, the place where you don't get pay rises, instead new work locations, varying hours, etc

I agree, f**k em. If they feel disrupting people's easter for their own selfish purposes then rightly so .... f**k em
A very selfish, me, me, me, attitude.

Personally I don't think strikes are the way, but only because the gameplan for negating them and attempting to force the narrative against such actions has been written for decades now. It's like forming a phalanx against an enemy with AK47s. However I can see how workers can get sick and tired of the behaviour and unwillingness to negotiate that a bunch of far right MBA managers can have.

To avoid a race to the bottom you have to stand up, and the private sector needs to stand up too. However law making against the interests of the people has progressively made that harder and more risky.

This is a path that won't end well. Mass automation and outsourcing to India creates forces that if not combined with recognition and protection of the standard of living will make for violent 'us and them' confrontation.
GarryP is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:13 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
A very selfish, me, me, me, attitude.

Personally I don't think strikes are the way, but only because the gameplan for negating them and attempting to force the narrative against such actions has been written for decades now. It's like forming a phalanx against an enemy with AK47s. However I can see how workers can get sick and tired of the behaviour and unwillingness to negotiate that a bunch of far right MBA managers can have.

To avoid a race to the bottom you have to stand up, and the private sector needs to stand up too. However law making against the interests of the people has progressively made that harder and more risky.

This is a path that won't end well. Mass automation and outsourcing to India creates forces that if not combined with recognition and protection of the standard of living will make for violent 'us and them' confrontation.
And striking on the public holiday, causing misery to thousands is not a me, me me attitude??

If private sector behaved the way the public sector occasionally does, the world would come to a grinding halt.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:22 am
  #12  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,558
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
And striking on the public holiday, causing misery to thousands is not a me, me me attitude??

If private sector behaved the way the public sector occasionally does, the world would come to a grinding halt.
The reason the strikes are timed to cause the maximum disruption is because that causes the those MBA managers to take maximum attention. It evens up the power imbalance somewhat - that's it's point.

Wouldn't it be better to have real arbitration that could reach agreement without strikes? Of course is would, but that would mean enforcing that those managers don't get to screw their workers, across both public and private companies - and that gets jumped up and down on by the people who fund the liberal party and therefore call the tunes (cf Gina Rinehart).

As I say, the whole thing is broken and has an implicit 'us and them' structure that can't sustain going forward. If it continues down the current path of trying to do down unions/workers then it ends in a very nasty place. It needs to break out of that, with a level of thinking that seems beyond most.
GarryP is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:47 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,934
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
The reason the strikes are timed to cause the maximum disruption is because that causes the those MBA managers to take maximum attention. It evens up the power imbalance somewhat - that's it's point.

Wouldn't it be better to have real arbitration that could reach agreement without strikes? Of course is would, but that would mean enforcing that those managers don't get to screw their workers, across both public and private companies - and that gets jumped up and down on by the people who fund the liberal party and therefore call the tunes (cf Gina Rinehart).

As I say, the whole thing is broken and has an implicit 'us and them' structure that can't sustain going forward. If it continues down the current path of trying to do down unions/workers then it ends in a very nasty place. It needs to break out of that, with a level of thinking that seems beyond most.
Rubbish. The only thing that ends in a nasty place is what unionism brings to the free market.

Its a simple supply and demand scenario. Just like in the private sector, if you are not happy with your conditions, you leave. If the company can't afford to lose workers, they improve conditions.

The deal has been reached. No pay rises. Not happy, leave.

Backward attitude all round.
Beoz is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:53 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Posts: 308
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Hate unions and their methods.

However, I do see the benefit in having a counter balance to management, and have no disagreement in another set of eyes for safety.

In the real world of construction the reality is site being targeted for stoppages, then reasons being sought (in my case a 4 hour hour union inspection for a single large open plan floor to find "enough" reasons to close the site, which was their objective in the first place)

Employers being "encouraged" to pay for a union delegate (read into this, if you don't pay for him, then the site will be constantly stopped), they are entitled to do union business at the employer's cost, and in the case of last Friday in Qld, this covered all delegates returning to Union HQ to act as labour for election duties on behalf of the ALP.

Wonder how many non ALP supporters being forced, (and yes it is force in a very indirect way, even though illegal,) to pay through their union dues for the activities of a political party that they may not agree with.

If only the construction unions would stick to their mandate and act in a reasonable and transparent way, construction would be faster, cost both private and public sector less as there would be less stoppages and labour double up and we would all benefit with improved investment and hence there may be more!

But I am now starting to dream again.................
Toe Dipper is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2016, 12:58 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Airports - DIBP Industrial Action

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
The reason the strikes are timed to cause the maximum disruption is because that causes the those MBA managers to take maximum attention. It evens up the power imbalance somewhat - that's it's point.

Wouldn't it be better to have real arbitration that could reach agreement without strikes? Of course is would, but that would mean enforcing that those managers don't get to screw their workers, across both public and private companies - and that gets jumped up and down on by the people who fund the liberal party and therefore call the tunes (cf Gina Rinehart).

As I say, the whole thing is broken and has an implicit 'us and them' structure that can't sustain going forward. If it continues down the current path of trying to do down unions/workers then it ends in a very nasty place. It needs to break out of that, with a level of thinking that seems beyond most.
I think your attitude is really childish and old fashioned, circa 1970s UK.

These days, private sector companies strive to make the company a good place to work in, because they want to retain the best workers. They compete to win awards for best employer, most diverse employer etc. They do it through providing favourable working conditions and fostering a healthy company culture. They listen to employees, they care about feedback, they monitor turnover statistics. If they are not doing the right thing by employees, then employees vote with their feet and leave. They do not punish other innocent people through petulance. Striking employees should be sacked and jobs given to people who want to work.
Bermudashorts is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.