Reload this Page >

Australia - what you need to know

Australia - what you need to know

Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australia - what you need to know

Originally Posted by mono
But it's not sometimes with you, is it.

Earlier you were trying to argue that Australia's isolation isn't in fact a problem because the flying time to LA is only slightly longer than London to LA.
You are wrong again. I didn't say it wasn't a problem. You are changing the words again. Look back...

You said that "Australia is Long way from absolutely everywhere."
and
"it's a pain to have to fly several hours to pretty much any destination"

I disagreed with you on that point. Proving it is pretty much the same as the UK in some cases.

If people want to travel back to the UK, then they must be aware of the distance. But just because it is a long way to the UK, does NOT mean it is a Long way from absolutely everywhere.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:12 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You are wrong again. I didn't say it wasn't a problem. You are changing the words again. Look back...

You said that "Australia is Long way from absolutely everywhere."
and
"it's a pain to have to fly several hours to pretty much any destination"

I disagreed with you on that point. Proving it is pretty much the same as the UK in some cases.

If people want to travel back to the UK, then they must be aware of the distance. But just because it is a long way to the UK, does NOT mean it is a Long way from absolutely everywhere.
In comparison to most other comparable nations, yes it is.

There are dozens of places easily accessible if you live in the UK.

The UK is not the only place that's a long way from Australia. Minimum travel is about a 3 hour flight. Absolute minimum.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:14 am
ABCDiamond

In comparison to most other comparable nations, yes it is.

There are dozens of places easily accessible if you live in the UK.

The UK is not the only place that's a long way from Australia. Minimum travel is about a 3 hour flight. Absolute minimum.
I am glad to see you have changed Absolutely everywhere to most.

I have no argument with that.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Oh Dear

Twenty years of having to suffer this overheated and overpriced hell hole, my heart bleeds. It seems that you must suffer from the same deficiency in navigational skills that effects my poor wife. She can't find the exit from a shopping centre car park without four orbits of the entire complex, and you apparently can't find the nearest international airport and and the exit to pommyland despite being here for "twenty years"

Super expensive rents ???

I'm presently paying $160 a week for a one bed roomed unit close to town, with ground maintenance, water and hot water charges thrown in. My previous unit was two bed roomed, again within easy walking distance to town with a double garage and ground maintenance and cost $200 per week.

Now this might be extremely expensive by your reckoning but I think it's very reasonable. When I check the present price of rental accommodation in UK, I can't say that I'm immediately impressed by how "cheap" it is. Are you still using the prices that were current when you left "twenty years" ago as a benchmark ?

As for relatively high prices for some goods and services compared with other countries ? I really don't want to shock you, but the reason that Oz is a twenty-four hour flight from Europe, is because it's a very long way from Europe to OZ

Despite what you might have heard on internet forums, it's got nothing to do with Qantas flying really really slow so that their useless, ignorant, racist staff have more time to subject their once colonial masters to every imaginable indignity.

As a result of this relative isolation, some products have to travel a really long way to get here. Especially HP sauce, Branston's Pickles, tripe, pigs feet, Danish Bacon, black pudding and of course 'real' beer and 'real' fish and chips. Even when they are available, many of these delicacies will attract a high cost premium, making them outlandishly expensive and out of the financial reach of many UK immigrants.

As for " The banks are shockers and fleece Aussies big big time.". May I suggest that you change banks ? This is not quite the challenge that finding the exit to this country obviously presents you with, and the good news is that the staff at your new bank will be happy to guide you through the process.

I have a total of six accounts with the CBA and none of these accounts attract charges of any kind apart from my credit card's annual charge ( I'm working on that one ), so I can really recommend their service. Their branch service, internet service and support, plus 'free' use of their ATM network and all for 'nothing', just can't be beat as far as I'm concerned. Though I suspect that you have a long list of pommie banks that will provide a far better service for less

It does seem from the tone of your post that you are most unhappy here and as an Australian I can only emphasise and hope that you will eventually learn to adapt to Australian ways and the Australian people. Though as you have been a guest of this country for over twenty years without apparently finding one redeeming feature in your whole experience, perhaps it might be better if you called it a day, and returned to UK's green and pleasant land.

We would like to thank you for your efforts, we share your disappointment that this venture did not have a more fruitful outcome and we wish you all the best for the future.

If you are strapped for the return ticket price, I'm sure the forum would be able to arrange a 'whip round', though failing that, I believe that Centerlink are able to arrange emergency repatriation for desperate cases such as yours.

Please ensure that the door doesn't hit you on the arse on the way out.
Sorry, have to spread before I can give you karma again.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Characterless - you can drive for hours and it'll all look the same. Tasmania is an exception to that though - much more like England/Scotland/Ireland in terms of ever-changing scenery. Otherwise it can be very flat and barren looking.
This may be the case in the parts of Australia where you have dwelled -but its definitely not true for the two areas of Australia where I've lived! Even on the drive down from north of Brisbane to the west of Sydney I loved the changing scenery - I'll definitely be taking Himself on a drive back up that way sometime.

* Aussies (I think) are complacent; the ''she'll be right'' attitude - based on nothing other than a blind-faith in Australia and Australians.
I lived in Yorkshire for 10 years before coming here - I was used to the 'it'll be right' attitude from there Also the attitude that you can't go far wrong if its from Yorkshire/Australia.

* Weather is not automatically better in Australia. If you don't like weather in the high 30s or low 40s then you will find much of Australia too hot. There is also less seasonal variety in Australia. Nights can be very hot indeed.
I suppose it doesn't matter if a lot of Australia is 'too hot'. The bits I choose to live in are just about right. And I seriously can't be doing with excessive heat. Nights can be hot.. through the summer. They can also be flipping cold through the winter. Weird that!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:51 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
This may be the case in the parts of Australia where you have dwelled -but its definitely not true for the two areas of Australia where I've lived! Even on the drive down from north of Brisbane to the west of Sydney I loved the changing scenery - I'll definitely be taking Himself on a drive back up that way sometime.
The drive from the north of Brisbane to Sydney is a huge distance! I'd bloody well hope it changed during that time!

I wasn't referring to driving interstate. I was talking about driving more common, reasonable distances.

You can drive no distance at all in the UK - the scenery changes all the time. Everywhere is different.

Drive from outer Melbourne into the country and the scenery will hardly change until you have been on the road for a couple of hours at least. The scenery does not change frequently.

I did not say there was NO pleasant scenery in Australia.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The drive from the north of Brisbane to Sydney is a huge distance! I'd bloody well hope it changed during that time!

I wasn't referring to driving interstate. I was talking about driving more common, reasonable distances.

You can drive no distance at all in the UK - the scenery changes all the time. Everywhere is different.

Drive from outer Melbourne into the country and the scenery will hardly change until you have been on the road for a couple of hours at least. The scenery does not change frequently.

I did not say there was NO pleasant scenery in Australia.
The scenery changes more on my current 1 hour commute (Semi Rural ---> Urban) than it did from Chatham to London (Sh*t ---> Cr*p).

But hey, I can't hang around here 'cos I'll get knocked down by all these generalisations a-sweeping ...

I love this forum, has not changed 1 iota in 6 years.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That may be the case in Melbourne, but on my daily 50 minute commute from home to work I go from sand dunes on one side and bush on the other to ocean and suburbia to commercial and finally inner city. Quite a large change in scenery I would say.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The scenery changes more on my current 1 hour commute (Semi Rural ---> Urban) than it did from Chatham to London (Sh*t ---> Cr*p).

But hey, I can't hang around here 'cos I'll get knocked down by all these generalisations a-sweeping ...

I love this forum, has not changed 1 iota in 6 years.
I used to do that trip aswell. I was beginning to wonder if they had knocked down a load of houses and put some forests or parks in there since I left.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I used to do that trip aswell. I was beginning to wonder if they had knocked down a load of houses and put some forests or parks in there since I left.
Chatham to London? Unlikely ... went back 2 years ago ... the horror, the horror ...

The (Aussie) MIL did the reverse when visiting my folks and does not want to repeat the trip.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:38 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

what a load of cobblers.

as an example, leave ferntree gully and head for the dandenongs, reach belgrave and enter the forests with 40m high gums, 10 minutes later reach Monbulk. Rich green & lush. one of the highest rainfall areas in Vic.

another 5 minutes, reach Silvan. The earth changes from deep red to a sandy red. Ideal for the market garden horticulture in the area.

Turn off and head for Healesville passing through Seville. Undulating hills, plenty of green open fields or bush.

If you didnt turn off to head for Seville, you can always head for the Yarra Valley. Its 15 minutes and you are in the middle of the wine region.

I can go on and on about the diverse scenery in victoria in all directions, but I cant be bothered.

Who fancies chipping in to the "BE bugger off back to blighty fund".

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 25th 2010 at 9:37 am. Reason: fixing the quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:46 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by furkew

what a load of cobblers.

as an example, leave ferntree gully and head for the dandenongs, reach belgrave and enter the forests with 40m high gums, 10 minutes later reach Monbulk. Rich green & lush. one of the highest rainfall areas in Vic.

another 5 minutes, reach Silvan. The earth changes from deep red to a sandy red. Ideal for the market garden horticulture in the area.

Turn off and head for Healesville passing through Seville. Undulating hills, plenty of green open fields or bush.

If you didnt turn off to head for Seville, you can always head for the Yarra Valley. Its 15 minutes and you are in the middle of the wine region.

I can go on and on about the diverse scenery in victoria in all directions, but I cant be bothered.

Who fancies chipping in to the "BE bugger off back to blighty fund".

Mount Tamborine is clearly the same as Beenleigh which is patently just Coolangatta without the water.

40 minutes to any of that from my place ... I've had sex that's lasted longer ... it was just me though.

"It's just sooooooo boooooorrrrring" ... "Muuuuuuum, I'm borrrrrrred" ... "Son, YOU ARE boring".

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 25th 2010 at 9:38 am. Reason: fixing the quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:01 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Mount Tamborine is clearly the same as Beenleigh which is patently just Coolangatta without the water.

40 minutes to any of that from my place ... I've had sex that's lasted longer ... it was just me though.

"It's just sooooooo boooooorrrrring" ... "Muuuuuuum, I'm borrrrrrred" ... "Son, YOU ARE boring".
not quite sure where this was aimed, but what have places in QLD got to do with my post?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 25th 2010 at 9:38 am. Reason: fixing the quotes so they are correctly attributed
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:30 am
ABCDiamond

Can you 2 sort your quotes out.
Don't think anyone knows who they are replying to now...

Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Australia what you need to know;

1. It's not the UK in the sun.

2. Some people like it, some people don't.

3. Both these views are equally valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.