Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - what you need to know

Australia - what you need to know

Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - what you need to know

If you are unhappy with your present bank take your business elsewhere. As I pointed out in my post, it's quite possible to bank entirely free of charges.

I don't feel it's fair to blame the 'guvment' for your apparent refusal to own your own problem. If you dislike paying interest fees so much don't borrow money. Simple really'

Originally Posted by tevez
I'm not talking about individual banks in general. St. George (previously Advance) were pretty good but now it's consolidated back to 3-4. It's the fact, as shown last year, that the banks collectively do what they want, and hold the Australian public hostage with varous rate increases above & beyond any RBA increases. The Govt. have no balls, Swann etc. lame responses.

If you can afford it great, but I do think the banks have people over a barrel, this is a sentiment echoed by most I think. Very few people have a high opinion of the various banks regardless of how often they try to re-brand themselves.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

wow Mono really has a bee in his/her bonnet, and also tries to quote but makes a complete ass of themselves

if you dont like Oz then why are you there? if it really grinds your gears that much then go home. you've tried at didn't like it so move on.

sydney may have expensive rents but compare the equivalent properties to london and im sure they'll be comparable.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know where some of you are living in Australia but I own a property in one of the most expensive seaside suburbs in Adelaide and the rent and morgages are not even close to what you are on about! After living in the UK for a year I also don't understand how you can think Australia is more expensive? The cost of living is HUGE in the UK and you do not get much for your money as far as housing goes, we were paying a massive amount to rent a studio apartment and the utilities were crazy! The thing is that we were expecting it, so after the initial shock we got over it and just made the most of it. I think that as long as you go somewhere with an open mind and be realisitic it's a lot easier to adjust.
Australia is a wonderful place to live but so is the UK, for very different reasons.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'm living on the shores of beautiful Lake Macquarie, not actually on the shore you understand but within easy walking distance. You seem to be fixated with rents in Sydney and Melbourne and appear to have little knowledge of rents outside these areas.

Personally I love living here by the lake, with the wattagan mountains as a backdrop and the beaches and vineyards an easy twenty minute drive away, but if you would rather pay an arm and a leg to chew traffic fumes every day and live in an overgrown rats nest, then that is your choice.

Your choice of accommodation and the price you are willing to pay for it, is just like your choice of banks......entirely yours. Best not too spend too much time whining about the result of your free choices though, people could consider it unmanly.

Your reference to " rickets " is both interesting and confusing, was that a Freudian slip, or a repressed childhood memory ?

[Super expensive rents ???

I'm presently paying $160 a week for a one bed roomed unit close to town, with ground maintenance, water and hot water charges thrown in. My previous unit was two bed roomed, again within easy walking distance to town with a double garage and ground maintenance and cost $200 per week.

>>

You must be living in the bush somewhere Dorothy's husband if your paying $160\wk certainely not Sydney or Melbourne where rents start at $400+\wk or a rabbit hutch. Enjoy your bedsit .. sounds awesome, is rickets inclusive of the rent
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Latent racism alive and kicking in SE England too, especially London which is becoming tense to say the least.....
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You must be living in the bush somewhere Dorothy's husband if your paying $160\wk certainely not Sydney or Melbourne where rents start at $400+\wk or a rabbit hutch. Enjoy your bedsit .. sounds awesome, is rickets inclusive of the rent
Not sure where you got the idea that my husband posted anything on here about our rent. Particuarly because 1) my husband has never posted a single word on this site and 2) we don't rent; we pay a mortgage.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

So to sum the thread up...

We have the views of somebody who's been here 20 years being rubbished by the views of somebody who's been here 5min... and everybody is rushing to congratulate the newbie because he's running his own, one man, "I'm backing Oz" campaign. This includes folks still in the UK who have never even lived here.

Excellent. Keep up the good work folks.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:17 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

We have the views of somebody who's been here 20 years being rubbished by the views of somebody who's been here 5min... and everybody is rushing to congratulate the newbie because he's running his own, one man, "I'm backing Oz" campaign. This includes folks still in the UK who have never even lived here.

You forgot the self-congratulatory summary post that adds nothing to the discussion.

And, obviously, the sarcastic response to that which also adds nothing and, if anything, is more self-congratulatory than the one it is meant to mock.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You forgot the self-congratulatory summary post that adds nothing to the discussion.

And, obviously, the sarcastic response to that which also adds nothing and, if anything, is more self-congratulatory than the one it is meant to mock.
But the "self-congratulatory summary post" wasn't in place when I posted my self-congratulatory summary post, otherwise I would have included it in my self-congratulatory summation. I think.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Par for the course innit.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld

Par for the course innit.
Even more so at the moment it seems. So many "Oz is this/no it isn't" threads running. All getting a bit dull.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

If you paying $160\wk you're obviously living in the bush somewhere as rents are $500\wk+ for a 1 bedder back in civilisation. Rent here is v. expensive in anyone's book.
Sounds like it is time to increase the rent for some people.... 2 bed place in Sydney West currently around $180 pw.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hino
If you are unhappy with your present bank take your business elsewhere. As I pointed out in my post, it's quite possible to bank entirely free of charges.

I don't feel it's fair to blame the 'guvment' for your apparent refusal to own your own problem. If you dislike paying interest fees so much don't borrow money. Simple really'
I get the feeling that some people like to pay bank fees, so they can complain about it later !

Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I get the feeling that some people like to pay bank fees, so they can complain about it later !
I pay Comm Bank $300pa flat fee to cover all banking. I also get half a percent off my mortgage rate because I pay that fee. So the $300 knocks about $1000 a year off my payments. Seemed like a good deal to me.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It's hysterical the way soo many aussies jump on this forum for a spot of pommie bashing. Skippy - it's for UK expats only. We get enough of your BS during the day mate. Now take off your flip flops and walk down the street barefoot, strap on your beligerent attitude and take the week off for austraaalia day or as many sickies as you can chuck
Actually BE is for everyone that wishes to post on it, as long as they do so within the Site Rules. Australians are as welcome to post on here as anyone else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.