Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia vs UK?

Australia vs UK?

Old May 24th 2007, 5:38 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia vs UK?

Originally Posted by Mark_Rigby
Fair comment. They use profiles a lot, I think that takes a bit of getting used to, but makes it easier to chuck em down. You hear alot hear that brickies are getting a $1 + per brick, but I'm not sure how true that is or how that relates to money in your pocket at the end of the job.
mate i dont know what its like over there,i honestly hope when i have a clearer picture ,i can help other brickies like you have helped me..

i happen to love profiles,i dont build corners any more unless i cant get a straight edge or a profile in...

mark your getting me excited mate,,i was worried a little but this is music to my eyes.

i happen to love lashing ,i get all frustrated when i cant...

thanks again ..

marcus
Old May 24th 2007, 5:48 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

oh mark mention to your dad when you see him,i am on a site at the moment where you cannot wear shorts,i have heard that there are sites where you have to be completely covered even wearing goggles..no fun when it was nearly 80 degrees yesterday..

ast
Old May 24th 2007, 6:18 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You have to goto more shops here, for example you can't get good meat or fish from the supermarket you have to go to the butcher. Same with Fruit and veg, it can take a while to visit all these shops so that eats into your freetime.
Oh and you can't get booze from the super market, but they do that drive though office licences and that's a real novelty to start with

Originally Posted by jensteve
food shopping takes a while to get used to
Old May 24th 2007, 8:52 am
Just Joined

lisamarie17 will become famous soon enoughlisamarie17 will become famous soon enough

all very interisting advise and definetly food for though. my OH is very quick at laying brick, between him and his partner, they can lay between 1500-2000 a day, and are home for 3. if he can achieve this in oz at 1$ a brick he wont do too bad. i think he will struggle with full coverage though, he wears shorts to work in this country! does anyone know where the bulding booms are in queensland. we have to have a fixed plan to be able to take children out of the country, such as schools town, jobs etc. any help you guys can give is appreciated. thanks

***another note to the person who said whites are practically living in concentration camps, and for us to keep voting bnp, you couldnt be more wrong. i want to bring my children to a new country and new culture. i want them to be able to integrate as easily as possible, and am worried incase they are bulied for their accents etc. it wasnt is australia racist towards whites question in such, it was more are they racist towards new settlers.
Old May 24th 2007, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamarie17
***another note to the person who said whites are practically living in concentration camps, and for us to keep voting bnp, you couldnt be more wrong. i want to bring my children to a new country and new culture. i want them to be able to integrate as easily as possible, and am worried incase they are bulied for their accents etc. it wasnt is australia racist towards whites question in such, it was more are they racist towards new settlers.
I don't think you need to worry about that so much. I know my son is sick of kids asking him to say something cos they think it's great to hear his accent. He's also made quite a lot of friends, really easily.

You'll probably find that they are quite tolerant, after all a lot of the population is made up of migrants. At my sons school there are nearly 100 different nationalities.

BTW, I knew what you meant
Old May 24th 2007, 9:16 am
Just Joined

orchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really nice

we moved to perth last year and stayed for 5 months, we came back because I got lingering food poisoning why pregnant and got a little scared and wanted to come home.

Now we are back. Nothing has changed and wish I had tried harder so we are going back next february when I have had my baby as I lost the other one last year at 12 weeks embryo.

Now Australia is not england, which I think alot of people that go there think that is where they are going. we enjoyed perth and it is a great place if you have children as the weather is good, we found that there is quite alot to do, I would recommend trying to make friends as I sort of isolated myself and that is not a good idea, people were lovely and the Australians are not as bad as everyone makes out, my husband loved the place and found a job as a painter and decorator really easily, he started work a little earlier and was home by 3.30 most days and spend alot of time with the children.

If anyone wants to ask questions I am willing to answer them.

I am glad that we are going back next year, my parens are not happy as they were glad we were back, so we are having to go through all the same things we went through last time, all I can say if you get there and get home sick, work through it, I wish I had and we would still be there.

Jen
Old May 24th 2007, 9:22 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

you just cant compare at all as both have winners and losers, just dont do it.

Find out what you want from your life and see if Aus suits, if not stay in the uk, or go back.

Its not simple, I mean can you compare blackpool with the gold coast or London with sydney, errrr no...
Old May 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

pauline dublin is an unknown quantity at this point

hi jen ,
glad to hear you liked perth and are returning there. We have applied for a sir 495 visa and , are waiting on a case officer. we are going to mandurah where we believe there is alot of work there , my husband is also a painter and decorator , would we be right in saying the average wage for a painter in perth / mandurah would be about $25 - $30 dollars an hour. and also is there a test to be done there , before you can start working ?

Pauline
Old May 26th 2007, 3:53 pm
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

How does having a baby outside australia effect your visa????

Originally Posted by orchids
we moved to perth last year and stayed for 5 months, we came back because I got lingering food poisoning why pregnant and got a little scared and wanted to come home.

Now we are back. Nothing has changed and wish I had tried harder so we are going back next february when I have had my baby as I lost the other one last year at 12 weeks embryo.

Now Australia is not england, which I think alot of people that go there think that is where they are going. we enjoyed perth and it is a great place if you have children as the weather is good, we found that there is quite alot to do, I would recommend trying to make friends as I sort of isolated myself and that is not a good idea, people were lovely and the Australians are not as bad as everyone makes out, my husband loved the place and found a job as a painter and decorator really easily, he started work a little earlier and was home by 3.30 most days and spend alot of time with the children.

I am glad that we are going back next year, my parens are not happy as they were glad we were back, so we are having to go through all the same things we went through last time, all I can say if you get there and get home sick, work through it, I wish I had and we would still be there.

Jen
Old May 26th 2007, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancity
How does having a baby outside australia effect your visa????

It doesn't affect your visa, but you will need a child visa for the baby if you want to come back

Just one thing to bear in mind, is that, if for any reason your baby fails the medicals you won't be able to get one.
Old May 27th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Jen
Orchids, glad you came back to Oz.

Just to relate to your experience although not the same and as tramatic. We visited Oz and activated our visas when I was pregnant with number 2 (number 1 was 10 months at the time). It was my worst experience ever. If I based moving to Oz on that I would have been in trouble. I hated the food (but I would have hated food in any country at that time) I was hormonal and so up tight about trying to do the right thing for my first child that the experience wasn't good. We came out again with the view of staying if my husband got the job and we liked it (hoping that not being pregnant would help!).

Having spent the first few years in the UK raising children we thought it would be easier here. So far that seems to be the case. The space and outdoors is what makes it even though we've had a fair share of rain. I'll give you an example. Trying to take 2 children swimming in the UK. You can't take pushchairs in the pool area (there are 5 pools at our local aquatic centre!), you fight for somewhere to change them, its cold, dirty and over crowded. We go swimming at least twice a week here because its so easy. You can take pushchairs, you can change the kids at the side of the pool stick them in the pushchair and off you go. Its not cold so not loads of layers etc. If you need some space nip to the local fast food place like mcdonalds (mccafe) grab a coffee and the kids can play in the outdoor (covered) area where there are slides etc. Obviously houses are bigger for the money. We even have our own adult room that we don't let the kids in. Sometimes when I feel a bit low I just think about how hard such things we the family were in the UK.

Of course that isn't all but some of the every day things that I like about here over the UK.

J
Old May 31st 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

orchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really niceorchids is just really nice

Thanks for the replys and we are looking forward to coming back next year, I am going to find out if it is easier to do the visa process for the baby out in aus or here, I will ring the agent we used in the next week or so, I cannot see there being a problem, I dont know why I just didn,t stay there it would have been alot easier as it has caused problems with the parents all over again and they do not understand why we want to go back and I am tired of having to explain myself. My husbands wages I cannot remember but i will ask him later and will let you know.

will write soon

jen
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

hello me again jen

I spoke to my hubby last night and he said he was on 27 dollars an hour and he did not have to take a test as he was working for someone else.

I rang my agent that we used for our visas yesterday and she said that we would have to sponser the baby, which we can do on our visa, this just requires yet more paperwork etc but should be straight forward, I rang the people we had our medicals with and they said the baby would just be given a quick health check and that they had done one the other day when the baby was 3 weeks old, they do nothing invasive.

hope this helps anyone wanting to know.

jenn
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

TonyQld is an unknown quantity at this point

hi love.
I am a 58 year old brickie here working just south of Brisbane,came here when I was 21, have worked in Victoria and New south wales,but settled here in Brisbane because houses were cheaper. I think this is a very nice place ,very different from Uk ,but then again it wouldn't be a change if it were the same ,and to move over here you want a little bit of adventure.
I have been back to Uk quite a few times ,and though I have enjoyed every bit of it I have no intention of moving from here.
I work for myself ,and have done for a long time.As far as bricklaying goes it is ",as I have heard it mentioned here" fast and furious,also heard that quality does not matter.that is not the case.The standard here in Qld is very high.you rough you dont get paid ,we dont work for subbies we work for buildes direct,and their supervisors are on the ball. Average prices 800 face 750 commons some get a little more some less, not too many brickies here work a split ,I certainly dont,average wage to pay a brickie $32-$35 an hour,.labourer $25 $28,all depends how good they are.
In the years I have been here I have done quite well,but I suppose That would have happened if I had stayed In England.
It is worth a look,and if you dont like it you can always go home again ,you may have lost a few quid,but at least you can say you have had a taste of OZ,when I go back to England,all I here is how people are going to go live in the sun when they retire,,weird" Why wait till you are too bloody old ,enjoy it when you are young ,I know I have.
Best of luck to you and your family
Tony Qld
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

pauline dublin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Australia vs UK?

hello me again jen

I spoke to my hubby last night and he said he was on 27 dollars an hour and he did not have to take a test as he was working for someone else.

I rang my agent that we used for our visas yesterday and she said that we would have to sponser the baby, which we can do on our visa, this just requires yet more paperwork etc but should be straight forward, I rang the people we had our medicals with and they said the baby would just be given a quick health check and that they had done one the other day when the baby was 3 weeks old, they do nothing invasive.

hope this helps anyone wanting to know.

jenn
Hi Orchids , Thanks for letting us know about wages for painters and decorators , and also about tests we appreciate it , best of luck with your move back to perth and your new baby.
Pauline