Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is australia regional racist?

is australia regional racist?

Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is australia regional racist?

Originally Posted by Japonica
More okay than Chinese dreamcatchers? If people want to buy them, go ahead. Personally, with almost $100 a month going to Plan and 20+ loans through Kiva, I can spend my money elsewhere and help out Cambodians (our first sponsored child is Cambodian).

I found two blog posts by NA activists who urge people not to buy them. If someone wants what they think is a cutesy gift and fair trade, then they can knock themselves out.
I've found discussions by "American Indians" and academics that describe the term "Native American" as outdated, governmental and offensive .... a throw back to the 1960s... etc etc etc..

There are some really interesting debates going on about the whole issue...

Any way...Whats next? Not being allowed to watch martial arts films with asians in????
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I've found discussions by "American Indians" and academics that describe the term "Native American" as outdated, governmental and offensive .... a throw back to the 1960s... etc etc etc..

There are some really interesting debates going on about the whole issue...
Well, I think whatever the people in question request they be called is what you go with. Consider Alaska, right. Some groups there still don't mind the appellation Eskimo (even though I'm sure some of us cringe). Others prefer Alaskan Native. In Canada, it's generally Inuit all the way. Of course, individual communities of peoples would go by tribal affiliations.

Re: Native American vs. Indian. Can't speak for US folks, over there "American Indian" is more than likely to be used, but Native American seems the generic catch-all. In Canada, "Indian," is usually reserved for legal stuff, policy speak, bureaucrat-ese. Ie. Indian band, the Indian Act etc.

Any way...Whats next? Not being allowed to watch martial arts films with asians in????
Aren't they usually the ones making them?

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:37 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Well, I think whatever the people in question request they be called is what you go with. Consider Alaska, right. Some groups there still don't mind the appellation Eskimo (even though I'm sure some of us cringe). Others prefer Alaskan Native. In Canada, it's generally Inuit all the way. Of course, individual communities of peoples would go by tribal affiliations.

Re: Native American vs. Indian. Can't speak for US folks, over there "American Indian" is more than likely to be used, but Native American seems the generic catch-all. In Canada, "Indian," is usually reserved for legal stuff, policy speak, bureaucrat-ese. Ie. Indian band, the Indian Act etc.

Aren't they usually the ones making them?
THAT DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

THAT DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT

Careful now, you're going to uncover the next secret related to this whole debate: that none of us in a particular ethnic group can ever agree on anything.

I bet there's folks up in Asia drafting petitions to halt all martial arts movies right now.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:55 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samman
I stayed in Australia due to specific set of personal circumstances.However I tried to migrate to Canada just before the financial crisis, the financial crisis hit and job opportunities became scarce.

Sherlock Holmes is relaying what other people told him, he has no first hand knowledge or experience of racism. My experience is that most colored/ non white migrants do not like to speak openly about racism in Australia for fear of backlash from the community. If you read my story (above) you will find out that i suffered from a backlash because I complained about racism at the workplace.

This is not to say all Aussies are racists, many Aussies are decent folks, however racism is a real problem in Australia.

The situation is much better in Melbourne and Sydney because most of the migrants live there. There are places in Australia I don't advice you to go. Even the Daily Planet Guide issued cautions on its website to alert tourists against racism in some parts of Australia.

The best advice I can give you is to take your wife with you for a long holiday in Australia(i.e. a month or two) . There are African communities in Melbourne and Sydney from all African countries, your wife will be able to meet people from her country and they will be able to advice her.
It is good to get the views of person with first hand knowledge in this. I do not think a white person can really answer the question with any degree of insight.

Of course there is racism in Australia. It would be surprising considering the history,White Australia Policy and the baggage that came with that,if there was not.

There is a rather visible African community in Perth of the last few years. In fact in the centre I see far more African folk than on the streets of Melbourne or Sydney last time in those cities.
Adelaide is the only other where I noted a number similar to though a little less than Perth.

Over the years I have worked witha few Kenyans and one black Brit,all in good positions.

There have indeed been clashes between African youth and Aboriginals in a few specific suburbs. I do not get the feeling of much love between those races, but I do not speak first hand.

I don't think there is any need of too much fear. Aussies can be somewhat unsure around foreigners in how to engage. Behind the rough veneer a number are not a little shy.

Only the OP will know if the vib's right. Of course there are many reasons folk don't take to live in Australia and racism may not even be one of them.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I would not restrict this to white and non white. Recent clashes in the south Brisbane suburbs have been between Aboriginals and Pacific Islanders...rightly or wrongly both cultures have been known for aggressive tendencies when mixed with alcohol.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

rightly or wrongly both cultures have been known for aggressive tendencies when mixed with alcohol.

Really!! and you havent seen other cultures with that issue???