Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is australia regional racist?

is australia regional racist?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:29 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is australia regional racist?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Fatpantsss (love your name!), I thought I'd add my bit of anecdotal evidence to the mix.

I work in local government which has well over 100,000 residents. It's an extremely culturally diverse area with people from dozens of countries, including Africa, calling it home. As well as catholic and anglican churches, there is a mosque and a sikh temple. For those who take notice of such things, the majority of the suburbs contain some of the lowest priced housing stock in the metropolitan area and the average income is well below the median.

We get our share of crime, primarily burglaries and car theft, but there is no endemic racism. People from Africa shop at the local supermarket and carry their purchases home in bowls on their heads, it's a fantastic, colourful sight and they're often stopped by older locals for a chat. We run heaps of multicultural events, based on food, art, music, dance, and everyone joins in. The community centres run classes on just about everything, from assisting newly arrived immigrants to negotiate the norms of Oz society (written and unwritten), to computing for beginners. There are lots of programs for young people, one that has been very popular sees the young people joined for fun activities by police officers - this has helped teenagers who have come from a country where authority figures are viewed with fear.

The local government I work with isn't unique and there are also many non-government organisations that run expressly to assist new migrants and promote understanding between people from different cultures.

You won't find a 50s or 60s US here. I hope you and your wife do decide to come to Oz, and for every isolated negative comment you may get from an uneducated neanderthal, I'm confident you'll find that balanced with 1,000 positive, friendly ones. Good luck to you and the missus!
What,no Irish
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:07 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

My wife is an anglo\indian mix, my step-daughters dad was from the west indies. We've been in Perth for a year now and not experienced any racism at all. My step-daughter even spent three months on a farm in a small community up north and had no racist experiences. Prior to coming over here I was particularly worried for my step-daughter as like a lot of people I was concerned about this reputation for racism that Australia seems to have. In fact, if anything, I've been very pleasantly suprised at how welcoming and friendly the vast majority of australians are. Can't speak for the rest of Oz but Perf is built on immigrants from all over the world.
You'll find racists and bigots in any country on earth, IMHO Oz is no more racist tham anywhere else.
Good luck !
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks spouse of scouse and Twinsdad,
the comments you have provided are very much appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samman
In Alabama in 60s young people would drive by, raise the confederate flag and call blacks walking on the street the N words just for the fun of it. It happened to me in Australia. In fact I know stories of Africans who were spat on and called the N words from moving cars.
Ever heard of Cronulla riots? What the difference between the KKK and the Cronulla rioters?

Talking about segregations? There are ghettos in Melbourne and Sydney, not to mention the remote aboriginal communities.

I talked only about overt racism so far; the covert racism is more sinister and malicious especially in employment, it can basically ruin your career and your life if you are not strong.
Sorry to hear about your own personal experiences..... I'm fairly sure that you would have experienced the car drivebuy name calling as well.... Probably by the same kind of blokes that call out to Females "Show us your Tits etc etc", with our bogan car culture....however from that point on you lose me a bit.

The biggest difference between the KKK and Cronulla is I've never heard of blacks attacking the KKK physcially en masse.... It was a two way episode Cronulla after all.

Sounds like you could do with some background information on Cronulla... before and after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots.

ghet·tos or ghet·toes 1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.

Can you kindly name a Ghetto in Melbourne.... I've lived here for decades and dont know of one. I purposely choose to live in the most racially mixed muncipality in Melbourne as well ....."Moreland" ..... Just to give me a feel as similar to South London as I can get.

Fully agree about covert racisim though.... definitely the worst kind and it does exist here.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 26th 2013 at 9:01 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

No racism, just ignorance. Teacher-led schoolyard games of "Indians in the tipi" is not appropriate. And my husband gave one co-worker the heads up that using the term "Red Indian" just makes you sound like an uneducated throwback to the 1890s. One instance was Aussie, one Brit, so it's equal opportunity I suppose.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 26th 2013 at 11:07 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
No racism, just ignorance. Teacher-led schoolyard games of "Indians in the tipi" is not appropriate. And my husband gave one co-worker the heads up that using the term "Red Indian" just makes you sound like an uneducated throwback to the 1890s. One instance was Aussie, one Brit, so it's equal opportunity I suppose.
What??? Have I missed something here. I do not know the game 'Indians in the Tipi' but I'm assuming its like a '10 little indians in the bed' type game. The fact that it refers to Indians is really irrelevant, could just as easy be 'boys' or 'girls' or 'baby bears'. All it is doing is putting people into a group.
I am actually glad that a teacher is encouraging a playground group game. May I ask what you find inappropriate about this?

As for the term Red Indian...yes it may be an older term now than the current Native American...but its not a phrase which has ever been used in an offensive manner. Its just an old term which some older people may use.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
What??? Have I missed something here. I do not know the game 'Indians in the Tipi' but I'm assuming its like a '10 little indians in the bed' type game. The fact that it refers to Indians is really irrelevant, could just as easy be 'boys' or 'girls' or 'baby bears'. All it is doing is putting people into a group.
I am actually glad that a teacher is encouraging a playground group game. May I ask what you find inappropriate about this?
That is my point exactly. Make it boys, girls, or baby bears.

I don't think it's appropriate to essentialize a culture and reinforce stereotypes for the sake of a game. I discussed this with other childhood educators and asked, "Could you not play the same game with different characters?" They agreed, "Yes, campers in the tent etc." Fine, so do it. Why pick a ethnic group at all? I haven't seen any other teacher endorsed childhood games to date that reinforce stereotypes.

I stood there watching the teacher lead the game and the kids give off Hollywood-esque war whoops while they ran around the circle. You do not need to stoop to parody to educate children and get them exercising. It's not necessary. There are alternatives. I have yet to see them make a school-approved game based on Asians, Aboriginals, and the like, but if people think "Indians in the tipi" is innocuous, then I guess we can throw the door open to all sorts of characterizations.

And yeah, the kids didn't care. They were running around, having fun. I didn't get all hardcore on the teacher either. Simple note, suggestions for improvement. Done.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 1:35 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

As for the term Red Indian...yes it may be an older term now than the current Native American...but its not a phrase which has ever been used in an offensive manner. Its just an old term which some older people may use.
It has been used in an offensive manner when you're the one being labelled according to some outdated idea about race and genetics. Red. Really? Goody. Almost as good as all the rellies who had "halfbreed" written on their birth certificates. That was also supposedly non-offensive, official language.

The guy using it on the worksite was young-ish. 30s. So, he couldn't use the excuse that it was current in his day.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

He must have been the nigger in the woodpile - oops, I'm probably not allowed to say that!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
That is my point exactly. Make it boys, girls, or baby bears.

I don't think it's appropriate to essentialize a culture and reinforce stereotypes for the sake of a game. I discussed this with other childhood educators and asked, "Could you not play the same game with different characters?" They agreed, "Yes, campers in the tent etc." Fine, so do it. Why pick a ethnic group at all? I haven't seen any other teacher endorsed childhood games to date that reinforce stereotypes.

I stood there watching the teacher lead the game and the kids give off Hollywood-esque war whoops while they ran around the circle. You do not need to stoop to parody to educate children and get them exercising. It's not necessary. There are alternatives. I have yet to see them make a school-approved game based on Asians, Aboriginals, and the like, but if people think "Indians in the tipi" is innocuous, then I guess we can throw the door open to all sorts of characterizations.

And yeah, the kids didn't care. They were running around, having fun. I didn't get all hardcore on the teacher either. Simple note, suggestions for improvement. Done.
Nah...don't buy that. Parody is part of growing up, children use their imaginations in all sorts of ways and I don't go for stumping that.
If you genuinely are offended by that game than you need to realign yourself with reality. It is not offensive, it uses a group name that is innocuous in its use and I think to get bent out of shape about it is both puerile and actually more offensive than the game itself. Its people like you that are stopping childrens playgrounds from being built.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Nah...don't buy that. Parody is part of growing up, children use their imaginations in all sorts of ways and I don't go for stumping that.
If you genuinely are offended by that game than you need to realign yourself with reality. It is not offensive, it uses a group name that is innocuous in its use and I think to get bent out of shape about it is both puerile and actually more offensive than the game itself. Its people like you that are stopping childrens playgrounds from being built.
Hilarious. Realign self with reality. Too funny. I'll have to tell that to all the non-Native folks who were clutching their pearls upon hearing the story. Okay, I will suggest, in the name of equality, that we do blackface at school next week, and a good game of "Asians in the rice paddy," all for good fun and childhood parody. There's two Chinese kids in the class. I'm sure their parents will support me 110%. Using your imagination is one thing. School supported ethnic essentialization without any context is another.

Stopping playgrounds from being built? How? By asking a teacher to reframe her game and keep playing it in a different way? For the record, I didn't even ask her to stop playing her inane game in future. I did request that my kids go to the library instead when she gets the urge to send the kids whooping and play scalping.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 3:08 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

"The Past is never likely to recognize itself in History, any more than natives are likely to recognize themselves in ethnography."

Seems your signature belies your statements. Sometimes getting offended by a stereotype is usually undertaken by those who are not of that stereotype.
So, you stopped your kids playing with others because of your thoughts that the play was racial stereotyping?? Wow....I'm sure they loved you for that!
Look...I get that you find things either offensive and maybe inappropriate, you are probably right to do so, but I really don't see any need sometimes than to just let life be life and let children play with other kids and then ask you later at home, "Mummy, whats a ranga?"
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

So, you stopped your kids playing with others because of your thoughts that the play was racial stereotyping?? Wow....I'm sure they loved you for that!
I didn't pull her from the game. I explained it afterwards. After I said, "Look, your grandparents would probably be a little sad and embarrassed if they saw this," she understood and it wasn't a biggie for her. She was like, "Okay, then, fine. I can play another game." It's never too early to start introducing critical thought. If she comes back to me and argues that "Indians in the tipi" and blackface are a good thing and only contribute positive aspects to school, then, hey, I'm willing to listen.

I'd rather they not be involved in the "it's only a game, it's only a term" unreflective way of living that goes on unquestioned until all of a sudden I have teens and young adults who look upon other groups with derision saying, "What's your problem? It was only a joke, lighten up, loser."

Look...I get that you find things either offensive and maybe inappropriate, you are probably right to do so, but I really don't see any need sometimes than to just let life be life and let children play with other kids and then ask you later at home, "Mummy, whats a ranga?"
Have done so as well. The classroom is not the only place it happens, right? They are free to be kids. They are free to play with others and considering some of the language they've brought home over the years, they're free to learn from people from all backgrounds and who have all sorts of views. I will not, however, abstain from my role in trying provide them with some guidance about what is and is not appropriate as they move through the world. I would have asked that they be excused from any repeat performance of any stereotypical game, not just the one in question.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:15 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

CBA

Last edited by eddie007; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:12 am.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie007
http://www.ethikl.com.au/10-Little-I...-a-Teepee.html

so is it ok? or is it not ok? for Cambodian women to sell these Fair Trade items?
More okay than Chinese dreamcatchers? If people want to buy them, go ahead. Personally, with almost $100 a month going to Plan and 20+ loans through Kiva, I can spend my money elsewhere and help out Cambodians (our first sponsored child is Cambodian).

I found two blog posts by NA activists who urge people not to buy them. If someone wants what they think is a cutesy gift and fair trade, then they can knock themselves out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.