Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is australia regional racist?

is australia regional racist?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:27 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is australia regional racist?

You know how it is, a huge continent that's larger than the entire European Union, absolutely jam-packed with resources... and just 23 mln people to share the treasure. Plus the gov't seems to look at Scandinavia as its blueprint to social success. Can you see why those who sit on the treasure chest don't want to share it with others, especially when they're surrounded by people who would crash-land their boats onto the Australian coast if only they could and then expect the gov't to provide them with absolutely everything?

Back in the day people came to Australia to build the nation, to work hard and achieve something. Today the general suspicion seems to be that people are coming to live the good life and benefit from the social system. It's a no-win situation in this regard: you're either here to pillage the social setup and live at the expense of the gov't (= supported by the tax-payer) or you're here to take a job position away from someone local.

Of course that is just a generalisation that some but not all share - not everyone is that simple-minded. And in a cosmopolitan place like Sydney I think you'd have a great time with nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Page 1.1 and very good posts thusfar I'm impressed

As Astera says, stay in Sydney and most other very urban environs and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Shawn-Sue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Mackay for a year, and I generally didn't find them racist.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:56 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the country, in a small town. We have a number of black South African families living here, most of whom work at the local hospital in a various roles but mainly nursing, both male and female.

They are all highly regarded, mainly due to the fact that they are very good at their work. And so, the colour almost disappears. Their children attend the local schools and all the kids mix well.

We have doctors from Iran, Vietnam and Eastern Europe. All very good.

There is the usual mix of ethnic descent from Italy, Greece, Germany, Holland and the UK, plus others I'm sure in the general population.

Maybe we are so far away from the madding crowd that racism hasn't been heard of yet!

The local term for a cold or a bug of some sort that does the rounds is a 'wog'. This term has no racist connotations, it is just a term that entered the language a long time ago and is unlikely to ever change. Even if it is used to describe a person, it means an Italian, not a black person. The Italians use the term of themselves.

My impression overall is that overt, blatant racism is no worse than the U.K.

I get my leg pulled by the locals for being a pom and it bothers me not one bit.

So, you may come across some uneducated idiot who will make remarks but I don't think it's at all rampant.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour, who is a white, ginger haired Essex lady says she HAS experienced discrimination and overt hostility from people who live on the Central Coast, and see her as stealing their ability to live in expensive Sydney.

I've never had any discrimination against me, but I'm neither ginger nor from Essex!

Sometimes what is a lighthearted quip can become very wearing when repeated ad nauseam by others, so I can understand why some things are perceived to be racist- my above comment could be a case in point were I not also British. (Slightly ginger when not dyed, but not from Essex.)
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:18 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it's worth differentiating between being extremely politically incorrect and blatantly racist, which to some people seem to be one and the same (like to Americans).

Some Australians can openly and flagrantly joke about and ridicule minorities, etc., but it doesn't necessarily make them racist as such. I think famous musician/comedian Kevin 'Bloody Wilson is a good example of this.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My neighbour, who is a white, ginger haired Essex lady says she HAS experienced discrimination and overt hostility from people who live on the Central Coast, and see her as stealing their ability to live in expensive Sydney.

I've never had any discrimination against me, but I'm neither ginger nor from Essex!

Sometimes what is a lighthearted quip can become very wearing when repeated ad nauseam by others, so I can understand why some things are perceived to be racist- my above comment could be a case in point were I not also British. (Slightly ginger when not dyed, but not from Essex.)
Hey.....only a Ginger can call another Ginger a Ginger!!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I also think it's worth differentiating between being extremely politically incorrect and blatantly racist, which to some people seem to be one and the same (like to Americans).

Some Australians can openly and flagrantly joke about and ridicule minorities, etc., but it doesn't necessarily make them racist as such. I think famous musician/comedian Kevin 'Bloody Wilson is a good example of this.
Damn wish I could use this as my signature
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

Ahaa Eddie is your new next door neighbour..
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I don't think Australia is any more racist than anywhere else. The racism regarding aborigines is more to do with the ones who live on welfare and collect in groups to get drunk than those who work and live what to us are normal lives.

You will get noisy bigoted people anywhere you live, unfortunately, but the fact that your wife is black african should not be a problem: I've found that people take you as they find you.
Wasn't it the early settlers from the UK who introduced Aborigines to alcohol and removed them from the original lands - just saying.

I guess it's no different from the native North or South American for that matter. Over time races/countries/tribes conquer and divide. This is just another example of this.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
She's moved??????
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not ginger, just Essex...
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
and a carrot top
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
Prove it
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Prove it
Do you need me to post pictures of both my collar and cuffs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.