Australia mover

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:08 am
Just Joined

storm trooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia mover

My self, wife and 2 young kids were granted visa to move to Australia middle of 2009. We followed the 175 route. Problem now is the exchange rate - its bad - We are waiting for it to improve before firming any plans. We are going to activate in April 10 and then wait for £ to improve.

We live south of Birmingham and would love to meet up with people in this area ALSO would love advice from people generally in similar dilema to ours.

Some questions to kick things off:

- Emmigration rules - What is the latest date we have to move to Australia to avoid losing our visa status?
- How can we secure jobs in Aus before moving over? i.e. agencies people may have used.

Look forward to conversations

Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:39 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia mover

Originally Posted by storm trooper
My self, wife and 2 young kids were granted visa to move to Australia middle of 2009. We followed the 175 route. Problem now is the exchange rate - its bad - We are waiting for it to improve before firming any plans. We are going to activate in April 10 and then wait for £ to improve.

We live south of Birmingham and would love to meet up with people in this area ALSO would love advice from people generally in similar dilema to ours.

Some questions to kick things off:

- Emmigration rules - What is the latest date we have to move to Australia to avoid losing our visa status?
- How can we secure jobs in Aus before moving over? i.e. agencies people may have used.

Look forward to conversations

Hi, storm trooper,

I'm afraid I can't help with your questions as I am in the US, but I wanted to welcome you to the site.

I wil move this thread to the Australia forum and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to chat.

Sue
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

You're too kind! - R U a moderator on this forum?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You're too kind! - R U a moderator on this forum?
Sort of, I am a co-founder and admin for the site.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stormtrooper

Welcome to BE. We got our visa in December and are also going over to validate in April. We are flying into Sydney and visiting Adelaide and Perth.

We will use the visit to see a couple of recruitment agents to see what the job market is like, it would be great to have some interviews but we see that as a bonus and don't really expect it. It is more realistic to assume that we won't have jobs before we go out there. When we move permanently, we will possibly go one at a time so we always have one income coming in.

We do share your dilemma over the exchange rate, it is very unfortunate isn't it. I expect we will not go over with a lot of money initially, just take what we need and move the rest as the rate improves.

To your question on when do you have to move, well to ensure you have no problems getting a resident return visa, you should move over within 3 years of the visa grant date. However you do have PR, so you could move over the day before it expires, but if you do this and then find you have to leave Australia for any reason you might have trouble getting back in.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

For the OP:

1) On the official document you receive from the DIAC it states the date you need to be there before to validate the visa.

2) What type of work you looking for?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Stormtrooper

Welcome to BE. We got our visa in December and are also going over to validate in April. We are flying into Sydney and visiting Adelaide and Perth.

We will use the visit to see a couple of recruitment agents to see what the job market is like, it would be great to have some interviews but we see that as a bonus and don't really expect it. It is more realistic to assume that we won't have jobs before we go out there. When we move permanently, we will possibly go one at a time so we always have one income coming in.

We do share your dilemma over the exchange rate, it is very unfortunate isn't it. I expect we will not go over with a lot of money initially, just take what we need and move the rest as the rate improves.

To your question on when do you have to move, well to ensure you have no problems getting a resident return visa, you should move over within 3 years of the visa grant date. However you do have PR, so you could move over the day before it expires, but if you do this and then find you have to leave Australia for any reason you might have trouble getting back in.
- We are flying into Sydney and visiting Canberra, Brisbane Grafton and towns in between.
- As for jobs we will aim 4 a couple of interviews to get a flavour. I am told the best known agency is :- http://www.seek.com.au/ ...u may have come across this one b4.
- We will probabally need the 3 years i.e. sell the house & hope 4 a recovery in the exchange rate. I've been reading about the prospects 4 £ to recover and believe that the general election will be a turning point... Therefore I will place an order at 2.45 and hope 4 considerable volatility / luck /miracle. As time moves on I will change my purchase point. you will be better versed on the future of £ - any thoughts or can u point me to recent article/report etc
- Moving over 1 at a time is possible but not ideal as I have family : 2 kids + wife.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Have a look here for details on when you need to move to Aus -

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
For the OP:

1) On the official document you receive from the DIAC it states the date you need to be there before to validate the visa.

2) What type of work you looking for?
OH is IT Infrastructure Project Manager. I have worked in public sector for 7 years : Change management / business Project management. Currently getting trained up in Coaching & mentoring.

My medium/long term aspiration is to set up some sort of business e.g. training provision/business consultancy/employment agency or similar...may also consider importing goods into Aus...So if there are any potential partners out there with similar thoughts SHOUT