Relocation Package?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Package?

Hi ppl
I know I shouldn't have looked on Domain.com.au
but I did so here goes.

When hubby left the company they did say if he went back there could be a negotiable relocation package? To cut a long story we're heading back this year.
Anyhooooow we've not asked them for anything YET, paid for our daughters visa, haven't asked them to ship our stuff, pay for flights or anything else and they didn't pay for any relocation the first time.

SO HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION:
Can you ask your Australian emplyer to secure you a rental property and pay the rent on it til you arrive???? an if so can you choose it?

I have found one on Domain.com.au that would be absolutely ideal for us, we have 4 kids and it's a 4 bed with a study so we could have that as 5th bedroom, not far from hubby's work and it's near a train station so he could get the train to work meaning that we'd only need one car and I don't even think we'd need to rush out and buy one straight away?
It is walking distance to shops, schools etc
Not essential but very handy it has a pool and a lovely child friendly garden which includes maintenance.
An although slightly more than we were hoping to pay the proximity to Mr JenJens job and the fact we wouldn't need 2 cars makes it financially do able.
We haven't yet sold our house in the UK but even if we have to drop the price again to sell we will and Mr JenJen has signed a contract to say we will be out in Oz by end of June at the latest.

Jen
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Package?

Do you mean pay for an empty property for a few months until you arrive?

If so, seems like an odd thing to do. Not the normal relocation costs companies would pick up.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you mean pay for an empty property for a few months until you arrive?

If so, seems like an odd thing to do. Not the normal relocation costs companies would pick up.
I know - I am odd
However it would save us trying to find accomodation for a few weeks for the 6 of us and unless we want to live in a tincan ontop of each other seems to cost a small fortune :$.
We could arrive, buy half the main furniture we need and settle in straight away and get the kids straight into the local schools.

Last time was a nightmare cause we were staying in a two bed (3 room) holiday place that now caters specifically for new mums :$ and we wanted to rent in Sutherland Shire - now way was I driving the kids all that way to school and back so they didn't end up going unfortunate as that prob would have been a huge help.

Jen
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well don't ask don't get I suppose. When I went to Bermuda my relocation allowance was a fixed sum for me to spend as I saw fit. My husband's new company didn't give us cash but they booked his flights and put us up in the company flat.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Well don't ask don't get. When I went to Bermuda my relocation allowance was a fixed sum for me to spend as I saw fit.
Ooh was it a large amount?

Maybe we should do that? LOL
Having said that if i remember rightly you need someone to view the property and sign if you can't do it yourself :$
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ooh was it a large amount?

Maybe we should do that? LOL
Having said that if i remember rightly you need someone to view the property and sign if you can't do it yourself :$
They gave me US $20,000 allowance.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

They gave me US $20,000 allowance.
That'd work
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ppl
I know I shouldn't have looked on Domain.com.au
but I did so here goes.

When hubby left the company they did say if he went back there could be a negotiable relocation package? To cut a long story we're heading back this year.
Anyhooooow we've not asked them for anything YET, paid for our daughters visa, haven't asked them to ship our stuff, pay for flights or anything else and they didn't pay for any relocation the first time.

SO HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION:
Can you ask your Australian emplyer to secure you a rental property and pay the rent on it til you arrive???? an if so can you choose it?

I have found one on Domain.com.au that would be absolutely ideal for us, we have 4 kids and it's a 4 bed with a study so we could have that as 5th bedroom, not far from hubby's work and it's near a train station so he could get the train to work meaning that we'd only need one car and I don't even think we'd need to rush out and buy one straight away?
It is walking distance to shops, schools etc
Not essential but very handy it has a pool and a lovely child friendly garden which includes maintenance.
An although slightly more than we were hoping to pay the proximity to Mr JenJens job and the fact we wouldn't need 2 cars makes it financially do able.
We haven't yet sold our house in the UK but even if we have to drop the price again to sell we will and Mr JenJen has signed a contract to say we will be out in Oz by end of June at the latest.

Jen
I think it would depend on whether the Real Estate agent was willing to play ball, as well as the employer. You usually have to produce all kinds of ID, and if a lot of people are after the rental then the landlord may get to choose/veto who to rent to. The contracts have to be signed by everyone resident on the property, and whether a company could do that on your behalf I don't know.
I guess you've nothing to lose by asking though
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:30 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I know - I am odd
However it would save us trying to find accomodation for a few weeks for the 6 of us and unless we want to live in a tincan ontop of each other seems to cost a small fortune :$.
We could arrive, buy half the main furniture we need and settle in straight away and get the kids straight into the local schools.

I think you'd have more luck asking them to provide you with furnished accommodation for a period after you arrive, so you then have time to find your own place.

Our first relocation we had 6 weeks in a furnished apartment, and with the second (which was only interstate) we had 4 weeks in an apartment.

Both periods were plenty long enough to let us find something else.