Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Old May 15th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default Australia the most expensive country in the World?

I certainly think so, been in Victoria for 6 weeks and compared to the UK I have not found a single thing cheaper except for fuel. You need to be earning megabucks to buy even the basic of items here,food is x2-4 times more expensive. Public transport is almost non-existent and forget owning a new car unless you're lucky to win the lottery. I thought the UK was bad for exploitation, even worse here.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia the most expensive country in the World?

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I certainly think so, been in Victoria for 6 weeks and compared to the UK I have not found a single thing cheaper except for fuel. You need to be earning megabucks to buy even the basic of items here,food is x2-4 times more expensive. Public transport is almost non-existent and forget owning a new car unless you're lucky to win the lottery. I thought the UK was bad for exploitation, even worse here.
what exploitation????

if you had come over with an exchange rate of 2.50, we would only hear abut how wonderful & cheap Australia is.

I lived in Holland for 20 years, and couldnt believe how cheap cars are over here when we arrived 3 years ago.

Last edited by furkew; May 15th 2010 at 11:12 pm.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

It is very expensive, you're right there. But not the most expensive country in the world.

http://www.mercer.com/costoflivingpr#Top_50

I think even Bombay (or Mumbai as it is now known) is more expensive than Melbourne. Although I do whinge a lot about prices here, my cost of living in Mumbai (where I spent a couple of years) could easily be twice what it costs me to live in a really nice suburb in Melbourne. And spending all that money to live in what can only be described as a huge sprawling, crowded slum
Old May 15th 2010, 11:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Deal with it or move on.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:24 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Ah another client for my soon to leave list..........mm
Old May 15th 2010, 11:26 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Ah another client for my soon to leave list..........mm
Mate, imagine if you had to live with them ... you'd be utilising them moving skills pretty damned quick
Old May 15th 2010, 11:28 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Quality costs more
Old May 15th 2010, 11:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

its to keep the riff raff out
Old May 15th 2010, 11:31 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I think regardless of the exchange rate (unless you are bringing over a LOT of money), it's all about how much you can earn.

When I first arrived I took the first job offered, paying only $50,000. Luckily I got offered another job within a couple of week on a lot more - god knows how we would have survived.

I still need to be earning a lot more before I'm in the same financial position I was in the UK (and I'm earning more than $2.30 for every £1 I earned in the UK). I had plenty of spare cash then and we even had a motorhome. No spare cash now - too many bills.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Deal with it or move on.

Nice response...not.

I've been here 2 1/2 years earning $'s so exchange rate has nothing to do with it. This place IS expensive, maybe not the most expensive.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:33 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IndieG
spending all that money to live in what can only be described as a huge sprawling, crowded slum
Isn't that what Rudd is trying to create in 'BIG Australia'?
Old May 15th 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Quality costs more

What quality? Like the houses built about as well as a B&Q garden shed!!!
Old May 15th 2010, 11:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Isn't that what Rudd is trying to create in 'BIG Australia'?
Already created...it's called Brisbane
Old May 15th 2010, 11:37 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Its as expensive as you want to make it.........................we haven't had a problem.
Been here nearly 4 years, have a beautiful house, decent pre-loved car, eat out at least once a week,can afford weekends away and holidays and certainly don't scrimp on food and drinks etc and we haven't got mega paying jobs.
I work in a pharmacy and hubby works for QLD government but our standard of living is way above what we had in the UK.

Public transport is much cheaper as is fuel, utilities are way cheaper, and if you are a canny shopper (not buying everything from Aldi........in fact we don't use Aldi) your food bill need not be huge. We find fresh meat and seafood cheaper and a lot better quality.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:39 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
What quality? Like the houses built about as well as a B&Q garden shed!!!
exactly

buy on the cheap because the rooms sizes were more appealing or that fresh coat of paint

There is quality but you need to look, and pay for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.