Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia like Usa?

Australia like Usa?

Old May 20th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice
Default Re: Australia like Usa?

Im a Canadian and being a neighbour to the north I couldnt agree more with this statement.

As for the post that Americans love the temeprate climate of the UK obviously to each there own. But I have travelled with many Britts and the vast majority say they would much rather have proper seasons rather than the weather they have with no long warm summer or cold proper winter. But again to each their own.

As for comparing the US to Australia some obvious facts have been left out:

1. US - 300 million people, AUS - 20 million people

2. US - love guns, lots of crime, AUS - small amount of crime and no gun use

3. US - Fast food restaurant with large portions, AUS - half the portion size of McDonalds in the US

Those are some small random comparisons but i saw people writing about fast food so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

They are similar in the fact the Australians listen to American music, watch American TV and American movies and as such some things like style can be influenced from these sources.

Originally Posted by Mallory
Americans "move" more than any other people, but they move long distances within their own country. If you are looking for hot weather and beaches, you go to Florida, Calif, Texas, the Carolinas, etc. If you are looking for big city life you move to NYC, Chicago, LA. If you are looking for the perfect climate you move to San Diego. If you are looking for the exotic, you move to Hawaii. If you want wide open spaces, you move to the great plains. If you want to snow ski, you go to the Rocky mountains. If you want to make wine you go to the Napa Valley. If you want to be a beach bum, you go to Key West. Get the idea? You don't have to go through immigration to find a different lifestyle.

If an American emigrated to UK, he would hate the weather, not enjoy the crowds or the high price of housing, be shocked at the smallness of houses, dumbfounded at the price of petrol, have to go abroad for snow skiing and holidays, have to pay to park the car, bag his own groceries - you get the drift. (oh, and I forgot, he would have to put up with anti-Americanism).
Old May 20th 2009, 3:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia like Usa?

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
Im a Canadian and being a neighbour to the north I couldnt agree more with this statement.

As for the post that Americans love the temeprate climate of the UK obviously to each there own. But I have travelled with many Britts and the vast majority say they would much rather have proper seasons rather than the weather they have with no long warm summer or cold proper winter. But again to each their own.

As for comparing the US to Australia some obvious facts have been left out:

1. US - 300 million people, AUS - 20 million people

2. US - love guns, lots of crime, AUS - small amount of crime and no gun use

3. US - Fast food restaurant with large portions, AUS - half the portion size of McDonalds in the US

Those are some small random comparisons but i saw people writing about fast food so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

They are similar in the fact the Australians listen to American music, watch American TV and American movies and as such some things like style can be influenced from these sources.
It's interesting that all the people saying "No, Australia is not like the US" are those with personal experience of both countries.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:40 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well I was quite clear that I haven't been there and that parts of Australia are how I expect the US to be and I stand by that. Outside of the main cities I expect a lot of the US towns to be like Australian towns.

I've never been to the US but I think many parts of it are very like how I expect the US to be

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; May 20th 2009 at 9:41 pm. Reason: missing word
Old May 21st 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Not to be rude but im not too sure the post is about what you "imagine" the United States to be like. If that was the case we could have thousands of people weighing there opinion's that are in turn completely wrong.

As for the US towns being similar to Australian towns it can completely depend on what area your talking about in the US because they can be vastly different within the country itself. In general AUS towns I would consider much more laid back than the US equivelant. Depending on the area in the US, obviously the climate is completely different and a lot of family life is not so focused on outdoors like it is in AUS.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ah, well I was quite clear that I haven't been there and that parts of Australia are how I expect the US to be and I stand by that. Outside of the main cities I expect a lot of the US towns to be like Australian towns.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:04 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

You have to ask yourself; does any of this matter?

Potato Potata
Old May 21st 2009, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S E A N

Potato Potata
Good point, well made.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Potato Potata
Be careful!!! Someone'll start a thread on English pronunciation!!!
Old May 21st 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Agreed, although im guessing the initial purpose was to give people something to compare to if they have been in either country and thinking of moving to one or the other.

Potato Potata
Old May 21st 2009, 10:40 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Superficially the suburbs seem similiar with poltergeist like housing estates and malls from Dawn of the Dead however culture is more than that. A short term tourist often finds it hard to dig deeper than the superficial.
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's interesting that all the people saying "No, Australia is not like the US" are those with personal experience of both countries.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:47 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IvanM
A short term tourist often finds it hard to dig deeper than the superficial.
What a fantastic quote :-)

- CDM
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

I have spent significant amounts of time in all three countries. FWIW I find Australia to be far closer in terms of lifestyle and culture to the USA than it is to the UK.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by innojuk
The same Australia that has the fastest growing Christian Church attendance in the World (2008 figures)??
Hmm... That doesn't say much for the world churches...

Between 1996 and 2001 overall weekly church attendance in Australia declined by 7%.
National Church Life Survey

In 1901, 96.1% of Australians identified themselves as being Christian.
That dropped to 63.9% in 2006.

Old May 23rd 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
I have heard this phrase many times.
What do ya reckon,is it like the usa,and for why?

cheers me dears
jase
car number plates look the same :-)

Last edited by Aldebaran; May 23rd 2009 at 9:33 am.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In 1901, 96.1% of Australians identified themselves as being Christian.
That dropped to 63.9% in 2006.
What percentage said they were Jedi Knight?
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There is a US comparison when it comes to some teenage girls.

They do adopt the sort of Valley Girl babble - which hopefully most will grow out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.