British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia like Usa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-like-usa-609194/)

JCSUPERMOTO May 14th 2009 9:22 pm

Australia like Usa?

I have heard this phrase many times.
What do ya reckon,is it like the usa,and for why?

cheers me dears

jase

Vash the Stampede May 14th 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Australia like Usa?

It's like the US in the same way that the UK is like Europe.

bourbon-biscuit May 14th 2009 10:01 pm

I've never been to the US but I think many parts of it are very like how I expect the US to be: sprawling suburbs littered with fast food outlets and car lots, scripture in schools and a religious bias everywhere, big 4wds reversing out of gated driveways to drive from bland inland suburbs to the city for work, rampant consumerism, screaming adverts, rednecks etc, etc.

OTOH, the wildlife is incredible in an everyday way, which is not what I expect of the US.

bigAPE May 14th 2009 10:56 pm

I have said on a few occasions that Australia is like the UK and US had a child together. There are bits of both British and American cultures interwoven into the mix, but like any kid they have their own personality and in the case of Australia a rich individual culture and deep sense of individuality.

So yeah, some of it is like the US but not the bits you would expect.

Al

mumomonty May 14th 2009 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO (Post 7572848)

cheers me dears

jase

The Aussies are like trainee yanks. V8's, Church of Aus is MacDonalds, Walking is unusual - the car is king. Sports mentality (but underneath bunch of wimps) Bad losers and even worse winners, Malls over towns with character and personality, bimbo girls with boob jobs, beach culture, houses (Mc Mansions) make your skin crawl all in rows with palm trees and overly clean look like Legoland. Ugh.
Only nice bits are the natural bits and the stuff in there tries to killyou.
Oh and bushfires akin to those in the states.
Also politics - state against state.
Medicare as health care - fear of getting really sick.
I meet nice people here but they are unusual in that they have opinions other than those of Oprah or don't watch Days of Our Lives.
Plastic people in a plastic land.
I could go on...:thumbdown:

Pagani-Rennox May 15th 2009 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mumomonty (Post 7573174)
The Aussies are like trainee yanks. V8's, Church of Aus is MacDonalds, Walking is unusual - the car is king. Sports mentality (but underneath bunch of wimps) Bad losers and even worse winners, Malls over towns with character and personality, bimbo girls with boob jobs, beach culture, houses (Mc Mansions) make your skin crawl all in rows with palm trees and overly clean look like Legoland. Ugh.
I meet nice people here but they are unusual in that they have opinions other than those of Oprah or don't watch Days of Our Lives.

I see your enjoying yourself then!:lol:

ABCDiamond May 15th 2009 4:44 am

Walking is unusual

Interesting that you should say that today...

Students in the region will be pounding the pavement on May 15 (today) in aid of National Walk Safely to School Day.
You see lots of kids walking to school in some areas, but not many in others, especially where it may be too far to walk.

Vash the Stampede May 15th 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 7572923)
scripture in schools and a religious bias everywhere

Er, what? :confused:

Australia does not have an official state religion (unlike the UK, where your head of state is also head of the state church); the only religious schools are non-government schools (unlike the UK) and during my 30 years in Australia, the only Scripture I ever found was in an optional RE class at primary school.

As for a religious bias everywhere... :rofl:

bourbon-biscuit May 15th 2009 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 7573824)
Er, what? :confused:

Australia does not have an official state religion (unlike the UK, where your head of state is also head of the state church); the only religious schools are non-government schools (unlike the UK) and during my 30 years in Australia, the only Scripture I ever found was in an optional RE class at primary school.

As for a religious bias everywhere... :rofl:

Maybe there is less than the UK, I guess I'm comparing to NZ where the kids learn about Maori culture as standard and there is no religion in schools and it's more of a secular society, more like France I guess. I don't think it makes much odds whether your head of state is head of the church- it's how it 'feels' on the ground.

BTW- it's not 'optional RE', which I would definitely opt mine in to and should be compulsory, it's Scripture where the default is that you're opted in and if you opt out your kid receives no education during that time.

NELBHOY May 15th 2009 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO (Post 7572848)

cheers me dears

jase

I don't think you can compare. There's places in the states that aren't remotely like other places in the states. There's no way you can compare New York to say, Bakersfield or New Orleans to LA. The peoples' attitude differs greatly from state to state.

Satch_Boogie May 15th 2009 7:51 am

Wow, if this is how people really feel about Americans then maybe my American wife should not come to Australia. We were hoping to get away from this attitude when we left the UK.

Vash the Stampede May 15th 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 7573966)
Maybe there is less than the UK, I guess I'm comparing to NZ where the kids learn about Maori culture as standard and there is no religion in schools and it's more of a secular society, more like France I guess.

France is a secular nation, but 66% of her citizens are Catholic and her history and culture are deeply entrenched in Catholicism.

Australia retains Scripture lessons as a hangover from the traditional British schooling culture; I think it's hopelessly anachronistic and should be abolished.

I don't think it makes much odds whether your head of state is head of the church- it's how it 'feels' on the ground.
Then you should be fine with Australia, where the average person couldn't give a stuff about religion as long as it's not forced down their throat.

BTW- it's not 'optional RE', which I would definitely opt mine in to and should be compulsory, it's Scripture where the default is that you're opted in and if you opt out your kid receives no education during that time.
Scripture was always optional when I was a kid, and still is. I simply chose not to attend. Yes, there was no education for me during that time; but the other kids weren't receiving an education in their Scripture class, so where's the problem? :rofl:

Gibbo May 15th 2009 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 7573966)

Each of the various religions has the opportunity to send representatives into schools to give RE to their flocks. Those who opt out are sent to a non scripture class where they complete work that their class teacher has given. If no work is given they receive no education for 30 minutes each week. Big deal!

kporte May 15th 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Gibbo (Post 7574118)
Each of the various religions has the opportunity to send representatives into schools to give RE to their flocks. Those who opt out are sent to a non scripture class where they complete work that their class teacher has given. If no work is given they receive no education for 30 minutes each week. Big deal!

I would suggest that time spent doing nothing is much better than spent being brainwashed with religious fairytales and other related nonsense:thumbsup:

stuckinblighty May 15th 2009 8:50 am

Theres a definate 'wannabe american' feel about the place IMHO

Lee