Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

australia and the heat

australia and the heat

Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
At say 25C in the morning in Oz you can open the front door and need to change your shirt immediately, never had this in Uk.
It is definately the combination of Heat AND Humidity that is uncomfortable. I guess humid cold is 'damp' - plenty of that in England

That said, I wouldn't slug Brissies weather as much as everybody has. It has been brilliant up to xmas. Its got hot/humid/wet since then but should get better in a couple of months.

....not a bad price to pay for nice weather 9+ months a year! The best time of year seams to be the winter where it is as hot as an English summer normally gets but perhaps cooler at night.

The main restriction here is keeping out of the sun. It seams to be at least 4 times as 'blasting' here than the UK.

Overal definately better than the uk weather [/QUOTE]

Winters the go isnt it? Lovely.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooo.....from the below it is not suprising that the UK may have a higher RELATIVE humidity but a lower ABSOLUTE humidity. If its say 20C in UK and humidity is say 90% then there would be 0.9x17 = 15.3g/m^3 of water vapour in the air. If in Oz it is 30C and the relative humidity is say 60% then there is 18g/m^3 of water vapour in the air. Sooooo .... Oz can have a lower RELATIVE humidity (hot air holds more water) but have a higher water vapour content, or ABSOLUTE humidity. Hence needing to change your shirt as soon as you open the front door in Oz but not in UK (err.. unless its raining).

"What relative humidity means

The warmer air is, the more water vapor it can "hold." Dew point is a measure of how much water vapor is actually in the air. Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water in the air compared with the amount of water the air can hold at the temperature it happens to be when you measure it. To see how this works, let's use the chart below, which is adapted from Meteorology Today by C. Donald Ahrens, published by West Publishing.

Air temperature in degrees C Water vapor air can hold
at this temperature.
30 degrees 30 grams per cubic meter of air
20 degrees 17 grams per cubic meter of air
10 degrees 9 grams per cubic meter of air

These numbers, which apply to air at sea level pressure, are based on measurements over the years. They are basic physical facts. "
:lecture:
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:46 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jwatsonoz

The main restriction here is keeping out of the sun. It seams to be at least 4 times as 'blasting' here than the UK.
Over to someone else to work out the degree of 'blasting' between UK and OZ
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jayr
Over to someone else to work out the degree of 'blasting' between UK and OZ
Dont tempt them

Somebody might start posting comparative tables of cancery ears and noses being cut off:scared:
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:57 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - Dunedin gets a hosepipe ban tomorrow! Been quite dry here, best summer since 1995.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:34 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jayr
Sooooo.....from the below it is not suprising that the UK may have a higher RELATIVE humidity but a lower ABSOLUTE humidity. If its say 20C in UK and humidity is say 90% then there would be 0.9x17 = 15.3g/m^3 of water vapour in the air. If in Oz it is 30C and the relative humidity is say 60% then there is 18g/m^3 of water vapour in the air. Sooooo .... Oz can have a lower RELATIVE humidity (hot air holds more water) but have a higher water vapour content, or ABSOLUTE humidity. Hence needing to change your shirt as soon as you open the front door in Oz but not in UK (err.. unless its raining).

"What relative humidity means

The warmer air is, the more water vapor it can "hold." Dew point is a measure of how much water vapor is actually in the air. Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water in the air compared with the amount of water the air can hold at the temperature it happens to be when you measure it. To see how this works, let's use the chart below, which is adapted from Meteorology Today by C. Donald Ahrens, published by West Publishing.

Air temperature in degrees C Water vapor air can hold
at this temperature.
30 degrees 30 grams per cubic meter of air
20 degrees 17 grams per cubic meter of air
10 degrees 9 grams per cubic meter of air

These numbers, which apply to air at sea level pressure, are based on measurements over the years. They are basic physical facts. "
:lecture:
LOVELY NUMBERS!

Just one quibble:
A human body contains 70.0% water except when the aircon has been on, then they contain 71.145% water.

Now a person weighing 70.0kg when dry is carrying around 70.0 x ((71.145 - 70.0) / 100) = 0.8015 kg of extra water.

The nervous system of an airconned person tends to freak out on exposure to increases in sensed temperature and tells the sweat glands to start pumping furiously.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally posted by Megalania
LOVELY NUMBERS!

Just one quibble:
A human body contains 70.0% water except when the aircon has been on, then they contain 71.145% water.

Now a person weighing 70.0kg when dry is carrying around 70.0 x ((71.145 - 70.0) / 100) = 0.8015 kg of extra water.

The nervous system of an airconned person tends to freak out on exposure to increases in sensed temperature and tells the sweat glands to start pumping furiously.

Hmmmm

Whats wrong with " Its bl*****y hot and I'm sweating like a *******ng pig"? its not so scientific but more peeps know what I mean.
Givus another tinny mate
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:17 am
Badge

Default Re: australia and the heat

Originally posted by Ceri
How on earth do you work that out? So you are saying the UK is more humid than Brisbane? You're joking.
I can't work it out : all I know is once I've acclimatised to the heat in Australia, it's 'OK'. I arrived in Sydney and it was 28 - I guesssed it at 20 and I was wearing a winter ruby top all day. After climatisation, not enough for me to worry about unless I was sprinting 10m with sample buckets every 30 seconds whilst drilling - for 30 mins at a time - this was 40 degrees so if I can do that I can cope with particularly sticky moments. Like I said, the other 3 seasons make up for it.

Badge

Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Paylia
Hmmmm

Whats wrong with " Its bl*****y hot and I'm sweating like a *******ng pig"? its not so scientific but more peeps know what I mean.
Givus another tinny mate
'Cause there are dozy beggars on here who seem unable to conceive of what they will feel rather than what they currently feel.

I wonder if some can even count their change.