Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:23 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Kiwis do have the right to live and work in Australia, however you get no access at all to any government benefits or support. It is a temporary residency only, not permanent. Citizenship has to be applied for by Kiwis the same as everyone else - and the same hurdles jumped through. We were lucky enought to get our citizenship back in 2001 before the rules changed. I feel for those who come over now not having a job in place and not having done their homework. There are a fair number of NZers who still don't know the rules have changed.
Someone in Oz told me that Kiwis can get better unemployment benefits by moving over to Oz instead of staying back home, not sure if this is some sort of urban myth among Aussies or whether they were just joking around.

So basically the only benefit is the right to live/work in Australia? I take it the visa procedures are easy or automatic, but then you still have to go through the same procedure as people from elsewhere to become a citizen?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Someone in Oz told me that Kiwis can get better unemployment benefits by moving over to Oz instead of staying back home, not sure if this is some sort of urban myth among Aussies or whether they were just joking around.

So basically the only benefit is the right to live/work in Australia? I take it the visa procedures are easy or automatic, but then you still have to go through the same procedure as people from elsewhere to become a citizen?
These daYS, Kiwis that move here have to qualify for PR the same as everyone else, they only have a temporary right to live here otherwise. To get citizenship they need PR first, same as the rest of us.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:08 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Your friend watches too much tabloid tv.
Originally Posted by astera

Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Your friend watches too much tabloid tv.
Agreed. Unfortunately there are a number of Kiwis who still move over to Oz thinking "she'll be right" and don't realise that if it all goes tits up they have no fallback option. If you can't find a job you have nothing to live on. Apparently there is an area in (I think) Kings Cross which is called Kiwi Park because there are so many sleeping rough there.