Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Old May 30th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

Hello, I've been accepted to good universities in both Oz and Canada, I love both countries and wherever I go I will probably want to stay after.
After I'll study I'll want to apply stay and work and then apply for PR.
In Oz I will go to Tasmania and they have the following policy: http://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skil.../nominated/190

Which says after I study in Tassie and if I have 3 months work experience I can be eligible for PR.

In Canada I will go to BC, and then apply for post-graduate work visa, and hopefully after that get PR through Canada Experience Class route.

They both sound like good plans, but I'm afraid the place I will go will change it's immigration laws and close the door for me for immigration.

I want to study abroad regardless, I want to have a career as a software developer which I already worked in the past.
But I also want to go to a place where I'll have the most chances to get PR in the future.

Anyone has any advice in which of these countries I'm mroe likely to get PR and which is more volatile with their immigration policy?
Old May 31st 2013, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Is Australia or Canada immigration policy more volatile?

?
Old May 31st 2013, 2:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiftyeight
Hello, I've been accepted to good universities in both Oz and Canada, I love both countries and wherever I go I will probably want to stay after.
After I'll study I'll want to apply stay and work and then apply for PR.
In Oz I will go to Tasmania and they have the following policy: http://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skil.../nominated/190

Which says after I study in Tassie and if I have 3 months work experience I can be eligible for PR.

In Canada I will go to BC, and then apply for post-graduate work visa, and hopefully after that get PR through Canada Experience Class route.

They both sound like good plans, but I'm afraid the place I will go will change it's immigration laws and close the door for me for immigration.

I want to study abroad regardless, I want to have a career as a software developer which I already worked in the past.
But I also want to go to a place where I'll have the most chances to get PR in the future.

Anyone has any advice in which of these countries I'm mroe likely to get PR and which is more volatile with their immigration policy?
I'll reply when my crystal ball is back from being serviced
Old May 31st 2013, 2:56 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

....in Tassie and if I have 3 months work experience ......have a career as a software developer ......
Never mind immigration policy - I can see a major flaw in this plan. Finding 3 months work as a software developer in Tassie may not be as simple as you think.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I do expect that it will be hard, that's a risk I'm willing to take though, I can pretty much do any IT job.

I'm not expecting a forecast of the future.

But maybe there are people who have been following the immigration laws for some years and know the current situation and how often they are changed and in what way.
Old May 31st 2013, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do expect that it will be hard, that's a risk I'm willing to take though, I can pretty much do any IT job.

I'm not expecting a forecast of the future.

But maybe there are people who have been following the immigration laws for some years and know the current situation and how often they are changed and in what way.
Can't speak for Canada, but having been following Aussie Immigration laws and policies for 11 years all I can tell you is that no-one can forsee the changes. Some are heralded before they arrive, some I have literally seen happen overnight, whole visa classes abolished with no warning at all. No way of predicting what they will change next, and I doubt that Canada is much different.
Old May 31st 2013, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough

Ignoring immigration rules for a minute - which option provides the best prospects for a job post-qualification? From my superficial standpoint I'd guess the Canada option due to your proximity to USA.
Old May 31st 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

I don't want to live in the US.
I think they are pretty similar in that regard, the hard thing will be IMO getting the first job, from their it should be easier
Old Jun 1st 2013, 1:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way anyone can tell you what the immigration policy may be in x years time. Aus Immi used to practically guarantee PR after study. A few years back they stopped that and now you're lucky not to be packed on a plane within a month of final exams. What they say you can get now, could be changed tomorrow or next year.

You can really only make your decision by working out the pros and cons of the Universities chosen and the countries/states you'll spend the next few years in.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 5:47 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i remember Canada have cancelled PR apps that were over 5 yrs in queue or something like that. i also remember Australia returned some PR apps due to priority processing.

on the balance of probabilities, i'd say both countries cannot guarantee anything. they both have whimsical immi departments!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There's no way anyone can tell you what the immigration policy may be in x years time. Aus Immi used to practically guarantee PR after study. A few years back they stopped that and now you're lucky not to be packed on a plane within a month of final exams. What they say you can get now, could be changed tomorrow or next year.

You can really only make your decision by working out the pros and cons of the Universities chosen and the countries/states you'll spend the next few years in.
Hi, it doesn't seem like currently it's that hard to get PR after studying, am I wrong?

It seems like you have the Post Graduate visa, and if you're on the Skilled Occupation List you can later apply for the Skilled Migrantion Visa and you get extra points for studying in Oz and for working a year in Oz which you can do with the post-graduate visa.

Last edited by fiftyeight; Jun 1st 2013 at 10:34 am.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Hi, it doesn't seem like currently it's that hard to get PR after studying, am I wrong?

It seems like you have the Post Graduate visa, and if you're on the Skilled Occupation List you can later apply for the Skilled Migrantion Visa and you get extra points for studying in Oz and for working a year in Oz which you can do with the post-graduate visa.
Nowhere near as easy as it used to be.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:00 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring over a sibling, marry them and you are set for life in Tasmania.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:36 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Do any other combinations come into play to someone in the OP's position, like moving to NZ for instance to become a PR (+ citizen there with time) which would possibly open up the right to live/work in Australia (Kiwis have that right, no?)?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Do any other combinations come into play to someone in the OP's position, like moving to NZ for instance to become a PR (+ citizen there with time) which would possibly open up the right to live/work in Australia (Kiwis have that right, no?)?
Kiwis do have the right to live and work in Australia, however you get no access at all to any government benefits or support. It is a temporary residency only, not permanent. Citizenship has to be applied for by Kiwis the same as everyone else - and the same hurdles jumped through. We were lucky enought to get our citizenship back in 2001 before the rules changed. I feel for those who come over now not having a job in place and not having done their homework. There are a fair number of NZers who still don't know the rules have changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.