Reload this Page >

australia or Canada ?

australia or Canada ?

Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default australia or Canada ?

Hi there,

Me and my partner are looking into emigrating but first we need to know the exact place we should go.

Having been to neither we really can't decide. If Canada had Australias weather it would be canada if Auz was only 8 hours away it would definetly be Australia.

Having done some research I would say either place is on average (but again it really depends) 30% more expensive than the U.K

I know the amount I would need to earn to break even .

I am a HGV mechanic/ driver.

Most Important factors for us:

To enjoy a comfortable lifestyle, being local but not in the city centre.

Our son enjoying his up bringing and having more oppurtunity in later life.

To experience a different life style.

We would also like to take our dog and I would like to carry on my hobby of horse riding so the outdoors life is more suited to us.

Would like peoples honest opnions please.

Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australia or Canada ?

Well, having done some research, you must have an inkling of which one would suit you better.

Both have an outdoors lifestyle, but in Canada, the severity of the winter affecting that lifestyle will depend on where you end up. Winter on the BC coast and Vancouver is very different from say, Edmonton or Regina. If you move to many typical Canadian communities, snow on the ground from November to end of March is a fact of life. We were never the skiing, snowshoeing, hiking in -20C types, so we emigrated to give living somewhere else a try.

Prices...Canada is cheaper than Australia in most consumer goods and services. Food too. I was back last October and have seen the huge difference.

If you are looking at proximity to the UK and cheaper flights for going back to visit, I'd say Canada is the better option. It takes me 21.5 hours flying time alone (then add stop overs) just to get back to our city in Canada for visits and the cheapest airfare I've seen just to Vancouver runs around AUD$1500.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Search is your friend

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nada+australia

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=canada

Those are just from the Australia forum. I'll let you do your own search of the Canada forum.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
Hi there,

Me and my partner are looking into emigrating but first we need to know the exact place we should go.

Having been to neither we really can't decide. If Canada had Australias weather it would be canada if Auz was only 8 hours away it would definetly be Australia.

Having done some research I would say either place is on average (but again it really depends) 30% more expensive than the U.K

We would also like to take our dog and I would like to carry on my hobby of horse riding so the outdoors life is more suited to us.

Thanks
Do you qualify for a visa for either country?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with which country can you get a visa for. A HGV mechanic might get a visa for Australia but I am pretty sure a driver won't. No idea about Canada.

Don't let your perception of which is a more expensive country come into it because salaries and cost of living reach equilibrium anywhere in the world; e.g. Cambodia (say) is pretty cheap and salaries are pretty low..

I think you are not the first to ask this question, when we decided to move I think the distance versus weather was one of our dilemmas but Mr BS was not at all keen on a cold winter. I don't think the weather is fantastic here though, rains a lot, and I think Sydney is more unpredictable than UK!

I don't think that it is possible to make an objective comment on which country offers more opportunity, people live happy lives and have plenty of opportunities in all three countries.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Hi there,

Thanks
The best thing for you to do is make sure you can get into both countries before taking yourself down this road. If you feel confident you could get into either country, then is the time you can start comparing. I know Canadians here in Australia and they prefer the climate to Canada's but find that it is very expensive compared with Canada. Also, I think housing is cheaper in Canada. I have spent time in both countries and like them both.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:28 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

Hi there,

Thanks
We migrated to Canada (Calgary) in 2002. Endured the winters for 4 years before deciding that was enough and emigrated to Australia. Nothing wrong with Canada, just the winters.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The 53rd state, AKA Canada
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The 53rd state, AKA Canada
You could say that about Australia!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calliope
You could say that about Australia!
51st state - UK
52nd state - Australia
53rd state - Canada
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:22 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't think the weather is fantastic here though, rains a lot, and I think Sydney is more unpredictable than UK!
When you say here, I take it you are talking about Sydney? Even so it has a lot more sun and longer summers than the UK and it isnt damp and grey 8 months of the year.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:34 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Easy ways to choose between Canada and Australia
  • Do you prefer your dangerous wildlife to be large and furry or thin and slithery?
  • Do you think of hockey as a game played on ice or grass?
  • Would you rather crumble crackers into your soup or smother your meat pie in tomato sauce?

If you picked the first option each time then Canada is for you, if the second then come to Australia. Not sure there are any other significant differences - apart from the weather of course!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
When you say here, I take it you are talking about Sydney? Even so it has a lot more sun and longer summers than the UK and it isnt damp and grey 8 months of the year.
Australian summers can be just as difficult to endure if you're in a place without air conditioning. People talk about the cold of Canada but Aussie heat can be very draining when dealt out over four or five months. The difference between Aus and Canada and Britain is that Britain never has extended periods of extreme weather, but the other two do.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:32 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Celine Dion. Brian Adams. Say no more.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Easy ways to choose between Canada and Australia
  • Do you prefer your dangerous wildlife to be large and furry or thin and slithery?
  • Do you think of hockey as a game played on ice or grass?
  • Would you rather crumble crackers into your soup or smother your meat pie in tomato sauce?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.