Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada

Australia or Canada

Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

kerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nice
Default Australia or Canada

I came back from Australia in November 2007 as we were on a 457 visa and the job wasnt as promised. Myself and partner are considering going back to Australia on a permanent visa this time. We want an idea of house prices, rates etc as we are comparing Canada and Australia any info would be appreciated.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:11 pm
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia or Canada

Originally Posted by kerryandgordon
I came back from Australia in November 2007 as we were on a 457 visa and the job wasnt as promised. Myself and partner are considering going back to Australia on a permanent visa this time. We want an idea of house prices, rates etc as we are comparing Canada and Australia any info would be appreciated.
....canada much cheaper......
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Australia or Canada

Living is much more cheaper in Canada then Australia. The problem with Australia is the govt dont want competition.For example the only cable television service provider in Australia is foxtel.

Considering the size of Australia and its populations there are not many options available.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

places to see in canada are fantastic and possibly on the whole more beautiful than aus. Also definitely cheaper but my wife and I have decided on Aus because of the very positive attitude the locals have and the weather. I love skiing but didn't fancy the snow!!
Best of luck on your decision.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is much easier to get into. It takes an incredible amount of immigrants considering the size of its population plus 5 year wait to get into canada 1 year wait to get into australia, and some of the ' skills ' required to get into australia certainly wouldnt get you into Canada USA etc.

Canadas big advantage is its proximity to the rest of the world, an airfare out of OZ once your here is extortinate, and rising, about $12,000 for a family back to UK That makes many feel its isolated
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Amrohvi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Canada and I am there quite often. (Toronto)
Its a VERY nice country and its VERY multicultural. Mostly southern European.

The ONLY reason I chose NOT to live there is due to the Weather.... very HARSH WINTER! Summer is very nice though.

I am trying out Australia but after visiting this site, I am in doubt. Don´t know if its worth it. Its not that cheap after all....
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

kerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nicekerryandgordon is just really nice

no Aus is not cheap as we discovered and the prices are still going up. After reading the posts now and checking out houses in toronto we are going for canada
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australia or Canada

Definitely Canada.

I have a Pommy relatives there, and they reckon it's great. Cheaper than Australia, too.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

ok looks like we made our decision then. Thanks everyone for your help
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Canada might be cheaper but the winters can be a nightmare.

Think of a 5 minutes trip to the shops for some milk, and half an hour of digging your car out from the snow first. BRRRRRRRR
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big nowhere
....canada much cheaper......
Not. Cost of living is basically the same, or was when we left in August 2006

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Living is much more cheaper in Canada then Australia. The problem with Australia is the govt dont want competition.For example the only cable television service provider in Australia is foxtel.

Considering the size of Australia and its populations there are not many options available.
Canada is geographically much bigger than Australia with not much bigger population. Have you lived in Canada, Smurtaza? Didn't think so.

I spent the first 43 years of my life living in Canada, so can probably make a fair comparison of the 2 countries. Cost of things is relative. We had very good jobs in a very good area of Southern Ontario, between Toronto and Niagara Falls (known as the Golden Horseshoe), lovely house, good schools, etc. We lived paycheque to paycheque then and still do here in Australia. Yes, things are more expensive here, but then again our wages are higher in Perth.

I have lived in 5 provinces (Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, BC and Quebec) and have found 5 different types of weather. Southern Ontario gets cold during winter but not so cold that you can't do things. We very rarely had to shovel for 30 minutes to get the car out. As a matter of fact, when it snowed that much we would simply walk to the shops instead. Nothing like going for a walk in the falling snow with the promise of a hot chocolate for when you get home. Summers in SO are hot and very humid. If it's 30 you need to add at least 5 or 6 degrees for the humidity.
Manitoba is VERY cold in winter with lots of snow. It's very dry, so -40 is almost tolerable. You just need to dress for the weather. Summers are lovely on the prairies. Long hot days with very little humidity and lovely cool evenings.
Alberta winters are kind of a weird thing. In Calgary you can wake up to -20 and 4 hours later it's +5 if a chinook wind blows through. There is a lot to do in Southern Alberta if you like outdoor lifestyle. Calgary hosted the 1988 Olympics, so there are all the facilities available. Some fabulous ski resorts only a couple of hours drive west. Summers there are also lovely.
We lived for a few years in Vancouver, which I hated. The scenery is nice if you're a tourist, but the reality of living there was horrible. Drugs, homelessness, prostitution, basically shit. Although, weather wise it's very similar to UK. Warm summers and cool, wet winters. Very little snow on the Lower Mainland. You have to drive an hour or so into the mountains to get any real appreciable snow.
Quebec was ok. I lived very close to Ottawa, so it was cold with tons of snow. Nice summers and lots of job opportunity if you want to work in the public service.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

To the original poster www.domain.com.au will give you an idea of house prices over here.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jun 21st 2008 at 12:58 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Ok next step, does anybody know any good agents for emigrating to Canada
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok next step, does anybody know any good agents for emigrating to Canada
You could try asking in the Canada forum. I think his name is Andrew something or other.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:52 pm
Banned

darenatto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Australia or Canada

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not. Cost of living is basically the same, or was when we left in August 2006

Canada is geographically much bigger than Australia with not much bigger population. Have you lived in Canada, Smurtaza? Didn't think so.

I spent the first 43 years of my life living in Canada, so can probably make a fair comparison of the 2 countries. Cost of things is relative. We had very good jobs in a very good area of Southern Ontario, between Toronto and Niagara Falls (known as the Golden Horseshoe), lovely house, good schools, etc. We lived paycheque to paycheque then and still do here in Australia. Yes, things are more expensive here, but then again our wages are higher in Perth.

I have lived in 5 provinces (Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, BC and Quebec) and have found 5 different types of weather. Southern Ontario gets cold during winter but not so cold that you can't do things. We very rarely had to shovel for 30 minutes to get the car out. As a matter of fact, when it snowed that much we would simply walk to the shops instead. Nothing like going for a walk in the falling snow with the promise of a hot chocolate for when you get home. Summers in SO are hot and very humid. If it's 30 you need to add at least 5 or 6 degrees for the humidity.
Manitoba is VERY cold in winter with lots of snow. It's very dry, so -40 is almost tolerable. You just need to dress for the weather. Summers are lovely on the prairies. Long hot days with very little humidity and lovely cool evenings.
Alberta winters are kind of a weird thing. In Calgary you can wake up to -20 and 4 hours later it's +5 if a chinook wind blows through. There is a lot to do in Southern Alberta if you like outdoor lifestyle. Calgary hosted the 1988 Olympics, so there are all the facilities available. Some fabulous ski resorts only a couple of hours drive west. Summers there are also lovely.
We lived for a few years in Vancouver, which I hated. The scenery is nice if you're a tourist, but the reality of living there was horrible. Drugs, homelessness, prostitution, basically shit. Although, weather wise it's very similar to UK. Warm summers and cool, wet winters. Very little snow on the Lower Mainland. You have to drive an hour or so into the mountains to get any real appreciable snow.
Quebec was ok. I lived very close to Ottawa, so it was cold with tons of snow. Nice summers and lots of job opportunity if you want to work in the public service.
People are now considering MiddleEast because of high petrol prices,taxes and high living cost in US,Australia,Canada.

In MiddleEast mostly jobs are permenant and saving is possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.