Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than Canada?

Australia better than Canada?

Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia better than Canada?

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, they're all getting to the end of the tether now with the snow just starting to melt. The posts on fb from frustrated Albertans have been amusing. "Where is spring already OMFG...aaaaaargh"

First snowfall is often by the end of October. There's something like a 50/50 chance of bringing the kids Trick-or-Treating in snowsuits and winter boots.

Definitely snow by November unless it's an El Nino year.

If you would rather the -40 than +40, then I suspect you'll do just fine.
You reminded me of this FB post from my brother recently titled "Spring in Alberta"....they are 45 mins north of Calgary:

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 21st 2013 at 2:11 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that looks like it. Edmonton had snow in the forecast for this weekend too. Oh and 60% chance of flurries for Fri the 26th of April.

<--Albertan.

Maybe, being as content and "successful" as we were, we should have stayed in Edmonton, like Oink says, but after living your entire life in a place where it starts snowing in October and doesn't end until nearly May, well, it gets to you after a while. Ooh, look, five months of the year with no snow, just city-wide frantic construction, potholes, tornado watches, and mosquitoes. YAY! Woot!

Last edited by Japonica; Apr 21st 2013 at 2:40 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yup, that looks like it. Edmonton had snow in the forecast for this weekend too. Oh and 60% chance of flurries for Fri the 26th of April.

<--Albertan.

Maybe, being as content and "successful" as we were, we should have stayed in Edmonton, like Oink says, but after living your entire life in a place where it starts snowing in October and doesn't end until nearly May, well, it gets to you after a while. Ooh, look, five months of the year with no snow, just city-wide frantic construction, potholes, tornado watches, and mosquitoes. YAY! Woot!
My partner is from Edmonton and reckons that what you wrote is a perfect description of the city he left behind 15 years ago to live in Australia
Having said that he was pretty shocked by the above photo, I guess you must start to forget the worst of it over time.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Accent is awful. Weather channel kept saying "Awwdum" last night, Pardon?, oh you mean Autumn.

Bad as news reporters saying 'I'd ull be dwenny degrees dudaay. Ok twenty degrees today, or on chewsdayy or jewsdaay, fursdaay will be noice.

Its sounds lazy and common, but is at its worst when frequently punctuated with bloody or the F word every second word for absolutely no reason.
Australian's don't have an accent - that's the immigrants
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

7th May 2002!!! NW Calgary.
Attached Thumbnails Australia better than Canada?-im000773.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2013, 9:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Accent is awful. Weather channel kept saying "Awwdum" last night, Pardon?, oh you mean Autumn.

Bad as news reporters saying 'I'd ull be dwenny degrees dudaay. Ok twenty degrees today, or on chewsdayy or jewsdaay, fursdaay will be noice.

Its sounds lazy and common, but is at its worst when frequently punctuated with bloody or the F word every second word for absolutely no reason.
And then you hear some UK accents - Birmingham, Manchester, thick-ass Welsh.........

'nuff said
Old Apr 21st 2013, 9:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

On holidays, One point that often catches immigrants is 40%+ of aussie jobs are casual. Even for long term jobs people have done for years/decades. Some huge employers have an almost entirely casual workforce. No actual holiday pay, just a small additional hourly allowance and ' if and when we need you at call work hours'. Professional jobs too, not just retail etc.
No different from the UK and USA where it is very easy to get rid of staff - permie or otherwise. The rise in temp staff here is in response to labour laws that are stacked against the employer.

Temp/contract/casual suits a lot of people. I'm a contract worker. Have been since 1992 in SA, UK, here. I'd work no other way. The myth of 'job security' from permanent employment really is a myth - and an excuse to pay you less.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No different from the UK and USA where it is very easy to get rid of staff - permie or otherwise. The rise in temp staff here is in response to labour laws that are stacked against the employer.

Temp/contract/casual suits a lot of people. I'm a contract worker. Have been since 1992 in SA, UK, here. I'd work no other way. The myth of 'job security' from permanent employment really is a myth - and an excuse to pay you less.
Some people prefer working casually that's true. I was a contractor for several years before going permanent in 2004 and, frankly, my conditions didn't change that much. I still took a month off from work when I was a contractor, my income was a bit higher, but my superannuation wasn't as good. Swings and roundabouts really.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And then you hear some UK accents - Birmingham, Manchester, thick-ass Welsh.........

'nuff said
Agreed, I don't even understand how people even do business.
I much prefer a white collar Melbourne accent.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 6:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agreed, I don't even understand how people even do business.
I much prefer a white collar Melbourne accent.
Are there different social accents in Australia? I thought it was like North America where everyone spoke in the same way (excepting for regional variations)?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Are there different social accents in Australia? I thought it was like North America where everyone spoke in the same way (excepting for regional variations)?
Yes, different regional accents (e.g. Sydney slightly different to Melbourne), class accents, city accents, country accents, ethnic accents etc, etc just like anywhere else.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes, different regional accents (e.g. Sydney slightly different to Melbourne), class accents, city accents, country accents, ethnic accents etc, etc just like anywhere else.
Different words for the same thing too. f'rinstance, a certain type of sliced deli meat is called polony in the west, but different States over east call it windsor or luncheon. I think it's called bologna in the US? Asked my little Pommy mate what it's called in the UK, apparantly it's dog meat
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:53 am
Concierge

The only time I ever hear a dinky-di Aussie accent these days is out bush.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The only time I ever hear a dinky-di Aussie accent these days is out bush.
There would be class distinctions in the US too. In general the higher the education the better the speech.

Australia can be very city vs country - so I can hear a bit of a country accent in a King's educated farmer...because he spends all his time with bushmen...

anyone who says there is no class differences in accent - work in an office - then notice the difference when the tradies visit. It's probably true though it's not so wide as in the UK - where you can still hear cut-glass and Cockney in the same office. There is a huge middle ground in Melbourne - probably equivalent to Estuary English in the SE of England.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:53 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There would be class distinctions in the US too. In general the higher the education the better the speech.

Australia can be very city vs country - so I can hear a bit of a country accent in a King's educated farmer...because he spends all his time with bushmen...

anyone who says there is no class differences in accent - work in an office - then notice the difference when the tradies visit. It's probably true though it's not so wide as in the UK - where you can still hear cut-glass and Cockney in the same office. There is a huge middle ground in Melbourne - probably equivalent to Estuary English in the SE of England.
Yes, there are regional differences but I'm wary of 'class' distinctions. More a case of how your parents/rellies speak, as do you, I think. Of course, there are exceptions. Agree about the differences being far more pronounced in the UK, even in England alone. Travel 30 kms and you could be in a different country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.