Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than Canada?

Australia better than Canada?

Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia better than Canada?

Originally Posted by astera
I used to live in Washington State and personally I find Vancouver very, very boring. It's good for walking though, and isn't overcrowded at all which is surprising considering the number of high-rise apartment buildings. The shopping scene is a tragedy though, and even all the big Vancouver malls are really bad and would make any Sydney Westfield mall look like paradise. Having Whistler nearby might be a plus, but you really need to go to Vancouver before you make the move. I knew I wouldn't last more than a few months there before I'd want to catapult myself out of there.

Not sure about crime, but a decent amount of beggars downtown harassing people in stores after dark, and if you venture into the historic area called Gastown then take the wrong corner and you end up in 'zombie town', where hundreds of doped-up zombies literally roam the area, making you feel like you're on the film set of the "Walking Dead."

I wouldn't look at the outer suburbs either as we'd have to redefine the word 'boredom' all over again.

Sorry that I cannot compare directly to Perth as I only know Vancouver. Now I haven't been in Toronto but it's meant to be a much more thriving and exciting city, so you might want to look beyond BC.
Looks like I'll have to have a look out there for myself. Thanks for your time Dorothy!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
If you've got anything about you, you'd stay in the UK. Both are parochial and dull places. It's really only people who can't make it in the UK and think a geographical fix to their personal inadequacies want to move. You know "its an adventure" right?

Well I can always have a look at these places while I sort those personal inadequacies of mine out
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute

We yams what we yams. And we don't mind listening to an Aussie accent at all. What nationality are you, Oink?
Can you imagine an Australian reciting a beautiful pastoral poem? A dirty limerick maybe.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
Well I can always have a look at these places while I sort those personal inadequacies of mine out
I'm just saying by and large, successful people rarely emigrate.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:40 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's far more civilised. Good on ya (or whatever the Aussies say).
nah the Aussies still whinge. they say not enough holidays.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
nah the Aussies still whinge. they say not enough holidays.
And many of them have this odd habit of taking sick leave when they are perfectly healthy, cos they feel they don't have enough holidays
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:28 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hence all the visas for people with extraordinary talents and the constant stream of US academics applying for jobs at our local university.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

But what if someone is not 'successful'?
Are you 'successful'?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Hence all the visas for people with extraordinary talents and the constant stream of US academics applying for jobs at our local university.

Plenty of American, Canadian, British and other European academics at my uni
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you 'successful'?
And define "successful"- means a million different things to different people!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And define "successful"- means a million different things to different people!
true
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And many of them have this odd habit of taking sick leave when they are perfectly healthy, cos they feel they don't have enough holidays
I get so much sick leave I have trouble using it up! And I've never managed to take all my vacation leave in any job, in any country!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Are you 'successful'?
I agree with the 'sense of adventure' criticism hiding underlying reasons. We seem to see people wanting to migrate citing a sense of adventure which they have never had and never will. I think the real issue actually is innate boredom in their lives...in the past, many migrants have businesses and their own homes...and an estalished family and have done well. But often we read about people wanting a change and a sense of 'if we don't now, we never will'. There are other private reasons to be sure, like not getting on with family or in-laws.

For me, there was so much change and travel in my life that when I decided to settle down it seemed bizarre to do it in my home town which I hardly was in - having spent yet another year away from it.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 4:39 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think your quote would be more accurate to say "contented individuals who live in the moment rarely emigrate".

Those who see the opportunity for better elsewhere, either now, or looking strategically into the future, are prone to emigrate - to take/make those chances. Those who don't see the attraction, relative to their domestic lives, aren't likely to move, are they?

That's been the case throughout history, and arguably the barrier to emigration is lower now, since international travel is relatively cheaper.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I get so much sick leave I have trouble using it up! And I've never managed to take all my vacation leave in any job, in any country!

I agree with the 'sense of adventure' criticism hiding underlying reasons. We seem to see people wanting to migrate citing a sense of adventure which they have never had and never will. I think the real issue actually is innate boredom in their lives...in the past, many migrants have businesses and their own homes...and an estalished family and have done well. But often we read about people wanting a change and a sense of 'if we don't now, we never will'. There are other private reasons to be sure, like not getting on with family or in-laws.

For me, there was so much change and travel in my life that when I decided to settle down it seemed bizarre to do it in my home town which I hardly was in - having spent yet another year away from it.
It could be "innate boredom" it could be wanting an "adventure". Both are perfectly good reasons!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that must explain why all those unsuccessful migrants have made Australia the economic basket case that it is, while those stay-at-home Brits go from strength to strength!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.