Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia a 1st world or 2nd world country?

Is Australia a 1st world or 2nd world country?

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:05 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia a 1st world or 2nd world country?

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Ireland and Aussie have 80% things in common so you may not have faced as much resistance to your diversity as a Caribbean migrant, Indian migrant or Persian migrant will face. Such countries have < 5% commonalities with Oz. So when the migrants try to do, wear or speak their native, it bothers many. People unncessarily start getting offended.

Instead of learning about new cultures some people ask such migrants to stop all that or leave Aus. I think this is not multiculturism - asking a migrant to kill his soul, his roots and completely fake himself into an Aussie or leave the shores. Do you think it is fair?
"asking a migrant to kill his soul, his roots and completely fake himself into an Aussie or leave the shores".....

If this is your perception then there is not a lot more I can add to the discussion. It seems like your mind is already made up as to how Australia treats migrants. I wish you well in your integration.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
And just where is this corruption you speak of?

Has a cop demanded a sweetener in order not to give you a ticket?

Has the RTA deskperson demanded an 'appreciation' to give you your licence?

Has the Local Council representative said to cough up with some kindo f kickback?

Just where is this corruption you speak of? I personally have seen none whatsoever in dealing with every local,state and federal govt agency you can think of.
Google Wollongong Council corruption.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal

Instead of learning about new cultures some people ask such migrants to stop all that or leave Aus. I think this is not multiculturism - asking a migrant to kill his soul, his roots and completely fake himself into an Aussie or leave the shores. Do you think it is fair?
And you're stressing because you heard that some people were telling migrants to do this? Don't do it - simple. Just don't break any laws, don't kill your soul, roots ...etc, no one will even blink an eyelid.

There are idiots in every part of the world, more so in Bombay - remember the idiot Shiv Sena and their attempt to drive all non-Maharashtrians out of Bombay??? Was it fair? No. Did people leave Bombay because of these idiots? No.

In Melbourne, I've found Aussies to be very polite, nice and not at all like the people you describe. My family have lived here for twenty years now and my nephew was brought up here since he was 2. They've assimilated well and have not given up our traditions and culture in the process. Enjoy the best that both cultures have to offer.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
it says it was exposed and rooted out.. that's a good thing.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:45 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I did actually mention other examples but I must be incorrect, I am now sure that Russia, Columbia, Peru, Turkey, Brazil, Mexico, India, Pakistan, Taiwan...... are corruption free
I can't remember Wol saying they were corruption free.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Better still - Google Äustralia corruption"- some 6.7m hits.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Better still - Google Äustralia corruption"- some 6.7m hits.
UK corruption gives 51.3m hits

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 23rd 2010 at 12:29 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Wow! A corrupt local and insignificant council that takes some kickbacks for some developers! Global earthquake!

That so compares to the Blackwater scandals in the USA and the murder of Northern Irish Catholics by the British Military. Wow just oh so Wow!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! A corrupt local and insignificant council that takes some kickbacks for some developers! Global earthquake!

That so compares to the Blackwater scandals in the USA and the murder of Northern Irish Catholics by the British Military. Wow just oh so Wow!
You can say the same about *any* individual case of corruption or fraud.

Unless you never read a paper or watch the news or talk to the average Australian you just cannot be unaware of the scale of it here, unless you *choose* to be so.

(And no, I *don't* just accept what the media say as gospel.)
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And BAe paying massive kickbacks to the Saudis in exchange for Eurofighters - with the knowledge of the UK government.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You said that you had seen no evidence of corruption in Australia. I gave you an example, nothing more.

Two points...
Wollongong happens to be the seventh largest city in Australia, so hardly 'insignificant'.

...and secondly, as an ex-serviceman who served in Northern Ireland can I suggest that you keep stupid ****ing claims like the one you made here to yourself.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:17 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

...and secondly, as an ex-serviceman who served in Northern Ireland can I suggest that you keep stupid ****ing claims like the one you made here to yourself.
did you ever murder someone while there ....?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

You said that you had seen no evidence of corruption in Australia. I gave you an example, nothing more.

Two points...
Wollongong happens to be the seventh largest city in Australia, so hardly 'insignificant'.

Its a fact honey, deal with it. Don't like it when someone points out your little cosy corner of the globe aint so perfect, yet attack Australia all the way.

Oh and you call yourself a servicemen? More like you were an invading occupier.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like even the Rugby League teams here are corrupt
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Its a fact honey, deal with it. Don't like it when someone points out your little cosy corner of the globe aint so perfect, yet attack Australia all the way.

Oh and you call yourself a servicemen? More like you were an invading occupier.

One man's invading occupier is anothers liberator...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.